Trolling Motor Care/Maintenance

FlecFlec Posts: 513 Officer
I have a 3.5 year old Minn Kota that still works fine, but is showing its age a little. It gets used typically once a week in the IR lagoon. Some paint missing from the lower unit from hitting bottom/rocks etc.  Any tips on making these things last as long as possible? Its is a Riptide with remote control.

Replies

• 10kman10kman Posts: 444 Deckhand
      Yes,Ace Hardware sells a aerosol epoxy white paint I use to cover 
    scratches on elec. motor.that helps.
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,873 Captain
    10kman said:
      Yes,Ace Hardware sells a aerosol epoxy white paint I use to cover 
    scratches on elec. motor.that helps.
    Thanks!  I need to respray the bottom of mine, it's really an eyesore when the boat is on the trailer.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
    Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters
  • tagtag Posts: 8,794 Admiral

Wash it with soap and water after every use. Let dry and spray metal surfaces with silicone. Keep out of the element between uses. My freshwater Minn Kota is used exclusively in saltwater and is 19 years old.

• snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,035 Officer
    I do the same tag stated. I use Motorguide motors and I was typically using the same motor for at least 10 years. With all the new upgrades I don't know if I can wait that long between motors. The last one I had only 6 years and gave it o a friend as it was still good. Had to have that anchor feature.
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,873 Captain
    Unfortunately I purposely run mine against bridge pilings so the paint gets scratched/chipped and immediately rusts.  
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
    Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,627 Captain
    I can barely get 6 months out of one.

What's maintenance?
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 6,038 Admiral
    Painting scratches on the Foot is not really Maintence..
    Keeping the Elec parts sealed is. Fishing line around the shaft and prop cutting the seal is Maintence. Spraying down the moving parts of the Pivot and locking mach. with silicone , stuff like that is what keeps them going....
    Killin and Grillin :grin