Red tide is back... snook kill off the beaches

Well I thought it was clearing up some the past week or so, but saw differently when I ran the beaches this AM.  Fresh red tide kill for miles, roughly 100 yards off the shore.  Some baitfish were struggling to stay alive but most were dead already, along with hundreds of snook of all sizes.  It seemed like there was a weird 'film' on the water in spots today, and other spots weren't just brown, they were really cloudy.  It was weird, and it really sucks to see it.

-Mag
Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters

Replies

• Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,333 Admiral
    Getting reports today of Tampa Bay area getting hit hard again as well
  • SerotoninSerotonin Cape CoralPosts: 198 Deckhand
    Heard rumor of a manatee washing up on fmb today
  • ccriderccrider Posts: 578 Officer
    That is discouraging to say the least Pine Island sound , north of Chino Island anyways, has really cleared up the past week. I was out again this morning with my wife and we really got on the redfish again. I have been seeing huge schools the last few day, quality fish too. 
    Found several dead large Reds this afternoon south of Demere
  • JW_YakAnglerJW_YakAngler NaplesPosts: 170 Deckhand
    Fish seem to be pushing further inshore than is typical for this time of year in affected areas. The closure on snook and reds came just in time.
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 1,079 Officer
    I would have thought the TS would have helped push it out.. Guess not!
    Jason :USA
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,143 Captain
    I forgot I took some pictures of it... see the floating brown stuff and how cloudy the water is?  This seems different than before.

• lukkyracerlukkyracer Posts: 708 Officer
    edited September 2018 #9
     This just sucks.
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,676 Moderator
    Boy this is sad, nothing we can do but wait.
    larrywitt 
  • RiverScoutRiverScout MidwestPosts: 9 Greenhorn
    Larry, there are small things that we can do besides just waiting. Change the way we deal with our lawns and fruit trees when it comes to fertilizing and pest spraying, writing letters and demanding change, voting in those that seem to give a **** and voting those out that have done nothing. I could go on and on, but just waiting doesn't cut it. We all own this, so we all need to act.
    This.

And...support either financially and/or socially the non profits out there bringing these issues to light. Captains for Clean Water for example, among others. 
  • ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 2,157 Captain
    The Gulf of Mexico has become nothing more than a giant retention pond, from Texas to the Keys.
    My crystal ball tells me some old timer is going to hijack a barge and plow it through one of the dykes someday.
    I'm not condoning that but you know somebody is thinking it... the ultimate "hold my beer" move.
    kmagnuss said:
    My crystal ball tells me some old timer is going to hijack a barge and plow it through one of the dykes someday.
    I'm not condoning that but you know somebody is thinking it... the ultimate "hold my beer" move.
    I love that!! Lmao

I'll do. Just buy me enough beer. Some jack too.
    I've had more then one person say this to me recently. When people feel their back is to the wall the tendency is to lash out. I would not be surprised.
  • ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 2,157 Captain
    kmagnuss said:
    Please elaborate.  Do you deny that the Gulf has become a retention pond from Texas to the Keys?
    Scoutboat said:
    kmagnuss said:
    Please elaborate.  Do you deny that the Gulf has become a retention pond from Texas to the Keys?
    I think you may have misunderstood what I wrote.
  • ccriderccrider Posts: 578 Officer
    I believe what Keith is trying to say is that, one of these crazy old Florida crackers is going to get fed up with the US Army Corps of Engineer B.S. and all the crooked politicians with their money driven agendas and blow a hole in the frickin' dike, has nothing to do with your post what so ever?
  • sixstring09sixstring09 Posts: 59 Greenhorn
    I'd donate a few dozen cases of natural light to get them in the right mindset.
    ccrider said:
    I believe what Keith is trying to say is that, one of these crazy old Florida crackers is going to get fed up with the US Army Corps of Engineer B.S. and all the crooked politicians with their money driven agendas and blow a hole in the frickin' dike, has nothing to do with your post what so ever?
    Exactly.
  • JW_YakAnglerJW_YakAngler NaplesPosts: 170 Deckhand
    That same floating brown stuff was in Rookery Bay the other day, along with a dead manatee. It was nasty.
  • Belfast BillBelfast Bill Posts: 56 Greenhorn
    Hi all, sorry to hear about the Red tide in your areas, I come over to Florida quite a lot, I'm from Belfast and have been coming to Florida fishing for over thirty years now, I am back for two weeks at Christmas,week one at Cape Coral and second week Near CO-CO Beach on the Banana river. Any ideas if the  Red tide will be gone by then?Just hoping the fishing won't be to affected,sorry to hear that some of your livelihoods are suffering,  if your in the area drop round for a Beer or two and maybe a burger and we can swap some fishing stories.

Regards,
                 Bill. 
    Chances are it will be fine by then but only time will tell.
  • Belfast BillBelfast Bill Posts: 56 Greenhorn
    Thanks all.
  • DOCKSIDEDOCKSIDE Posts: 1,804 Captain
    Not all of us "Crackers" are old......  B) B) B) B)
    somewhere south of disorder and on earth... mostly .
    ..............................................................................
    IBEW LU 433
    The red tide literally smelled like a septic tank yesterday.  Never smelled it like that before.  I was looking around my house to see if my septic system had some weird opening in it.
    Thought for sure a neighbor was having theirs replaced until a friend who lives 10 miles away was talking about the weird smell. 

Houses popping up for sale near the water.  Prices starting to drop.  This sucks.
  • CameronCameron Posts: 208 Deckhand
    edited September 2018 #29
    For those looking to fish SWFL, 10k Islands is the best bet. The water around Fort Myers, Cape Coral area is disgusting. Matlacha is the cleanest and doesn't have an odor but the water still looks fowl. Pine Island Sound this week was full of red tide death. White bait dies quick sometimes in the net on the way up. Even pins are struggling in our livewells.
  • EnyarEnyar Posts: 96 Greenhorn
    Larry, there are small things that we can do besides just waiting. Change the way we deal with our lawns and fruit trees when it comes to fertilizing and pest spraying, writing letters and demanding change, voting in those that seem to give a **** and voting those out that have done nothing. I could go on and on, but just waiting doesn't cut it. We all own this, so we all need to act.
    Great post
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,164 AG
    redtide is bad in the panhandle now, anyone seen the black tanker trucks hauling lake O water north?

saying.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.