9/8 Pine Island sound, a.m. bite on fire!

Headed out with my cousin this morning around 5:30 am right at the tail end of a falling tide. We started out getting some baitfish on some grass flats near Gault Island mainly pins but also got some decent whitebait. Once we got north of Chino Island the water really cleared up and I began exploring some of my favorite grass flats and oyster beds. Right away I spotted a huge school of reds working the backside of a exposed oyster bed, I worked our way around the bar very stealthy as not to spook the school and we were able to set up and cast perfectly in front of them. First bait in the water gets hammered and Shayne battles a nice upper slot red to the boat for a release, second bait I hook up with about a 28"-30" snook who took a little white bait instantly, very strong and healthy fish heck of a fighter for it's size. As I was releasing the snook I saw our only tarpon of the day, a  mature free jumper about 75 yds or so, I was torn between going after him and staying but the action was just too good to leave. We pulled at least another 8-10 slot and upper slot reds off that bar along with 3 or 4 more snook all around 25" or so. Funny I usually do better on cutbait and shrimp on the reds but today they wanted live bait fish and feeding very aggressively. I had 2 dozen hand picked shrimp along with fresh cut mullet and they would not touch either, a first for me. We hit a few other of my "old faithful" red spots, one I haven't hit in a few years and hooked up with quality fish at each spot along with more snook and a nice Spanish Mackerel that must have been lost ....lol  as I caught him up under a mangrove targeting reds? We also saw some pretty impressive "wakes" while pushing over some flats, very wide shoulders on something I though it was 2 Cobia but couldn't tell for sure. I have only caught cobia fishing in open water will they travel in pairs or small groups inshore? Sorry pics not loading again.

Replies

• joekat46joekat46 North PortPosts: 2,048 Captain
    Great report.
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,606 Moderator
    Boy thanks for the report, it is encouraging to see  that there are pockets of fish that alive and well.
    larrywitt
  • JW_YakAnglerJW_YakAngler NaplesPosts: 106 Deckhand
    The smacks and cobia are probably pushing inshore to avoid red tide. We have recently been catching smacks, and pompano way up the creeks. Very unusual for this time of year. Pompano are even hitting artificial baitfish patterns. 

The reds may be avoiding dead bait due to the red tide as well.
  • nhkevnhkev Posts: 44 Greenhorn
    Went out fishing north matlacha pass, on the little pine island side,  Friday evening in the middle of all the thunder storms.  water was pretty dark.  In between heavy rain and lightning I caught a full sized bonnet head, a cobia, catfish, couple keeper sized spotted trout, jack crevelle  and a mature tarpon.  All on live shrimp on medium sized tackle , the tarpon took a jumbo shrimp.   I had caught a small grunt that I put out for bait under a float and something very big with teeth slammed it and bit through line instantly.   all fish I caught seemed very healthy but what seemed a little off was the jack and spotted trout were golden , yellow colored .  not sure if it is that they are stained by the water or has to do with their diet.  cobia and tarpon seemed to take a little longer reviving than normal.
  • nhkevnhkev Posts: 44 Greenhorn

• RiverScoutRiverScout MidwestPosts: 7 Greenhorn
    Interesting color comment...I'm assuming it has to be diet? That trout almost looked like a brown trout when I first glanced.