Performance 167 Egret with 70 Yahama?

Bearpt51Bearpt51 Orange Beach, AlPosts: 1 Greenhorn
Looking at purchasing a 167 Egret. Will be used part time as tender so need to keep weight down.  Appreciate any Performance numbers especially 70 four stroke Yamaha.
Thanks

Replies

• Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,027 Officer
    I'd say talk to Frank at the factory. My recommendation is a Carbon/Kevlar boat with towing/lifting eyes. A  (short)spectra lifting harness, so you can clear the railing if you have one on the yacht. 

I'm going to guess with a 70 you'll be in the mid to high 30's
  • FlecFlec Posts: 501 Officer
    Go to the Yamaha website under performance reports. You may find exactly what your looking for, or real close at least.
  • polliwogpolliwog Posts: 227 Deckhand
    If your boat is a 16fter with a 70 HP ,It will be fine.  I assume it is not a heavy boat.  I have a 15ft maverick with 40hp Yamaha . It is carbon fiber an will run at 30mph with out a load. Not fast ,but fine for a flats boat in the back country.
    Yamaha shows a 16'4" Hells Bay @ 595lbs running 40.2mph with a 70 yamaha
    When compared to the Hells Bay @ 595 lbs. The 16'7" Egret has more beam, a longer waterline length and a 41 gal fuel tank. I believe the boat is approx. 650 lbs. I'm sticking to my guess of mid to high 30's.  
    a 41 gal tank! Wow. Is the Egret considered a poling skiff?  A full tank would certainly slow you down. That boat would have a range of nearly 300 miles. And I agree with Mr Junkie, a wider beam and waterline will produce more drag.
    Looking at the Egret website,,the 167 Kevlar hull weighs 700lbs,,the non Kevlar is 800lbs.  If I were going to put a 70HP on this boat I would try to get the lighter hull if you can afford it. Just FYI,, There are several other boats in that size range that are significantly lighter if weight is a big issue.
    Flec said:
    a 41 gal tank! Wow. Is the Egret considered a poling skiff?  A full tank would certainly slow you down. That boat would have a range of nearly 300 miles. And I agree with Mr Junkie, a wider beam and waterline will produce more drag.
    The Egret 16'7 is not considered a technical poling skiff. Both the 16'7 and the 18'9 are true flats boats. Due to their design they also make excellent tenders. The fit and finish on these boats is on par of what one would expect of a mega yacht. 

The 16'7 is rated for 130 HP is a true self bailing hull with a 41 gallon fuel tank, more storage than most 18' flats boats. It handles the chop extremely well for such a small boat. All this lend it self to be an excellent tender that can be used to shuttle crew and guest to the reef for diving and fishing or to a beach for a shore lunch or picnic.