Home Tropics

North Costa Rica in November

CudjoeCudjoe Posts: 32 Deckhand
Heading to Papagayo Peninsula west of Liberia late November and was hoping someone had some first hand experience with charters in that area. Only have a day or two to fish so I am hoping to make the best of it.  Thanks in advance.

2018 Robalo 302

Replies

• pjepje Orlando , FlPosts: 769 Officer
    Wish I could help you with that , I haven't fished up there before . I do know that there are strong trade winds up there during certain times of the year , and a few of the boats move south to the Quepos area . 
  • Florida Ex-patFlorida Ex-pat Posts: 586 Officer
    I stayed on the Papagayo Peninsula about 1 year ago at the Four Seasons.  I did a web search for offshore fishing, be careful.  They make the boats sound better than they are and the "Captains" more experienced.   The fishing was not good and the run to the grounds was a long one from Papagayo.  Boat had a mechanical that cost us an hour of time as well.  We dragged old looking horse ballyhoo around and chased radio reports.  We hooked a marlin about 250lbs (maybe) and the captain was going nuts saying it was a 500.  The rod I hooked it on had straight glass guides with no rollers.  The line melted on them and broke after about 5-10 minutes.  It was made clear to me several times during the trip what the expected tip amount was.  I also asked to do some structure fishing around the rocks so they took me trolling around some rocks and caught a needlefish.  I spent about $1k in total for a total junk fishing trip. 
  • CudjoeCudjoe Posts: 32 Deckhand
    Thanks for the input, we too are staying at the Four Seasons and are amazed at the high price for charters in Central America.  Pretty amazed at the price for the hotel but we are going down for our 35th anniversary so pinching pennies was not an option on this trip.  The hotel recommended http://eljefecostarica.com/ and they are $2200.00 for an 8-10 trip for marlin on a 38' Out Island Express so I am thinking this is going to be a $2600 bill after tip.  A good friend of mine down in Summerland Key put me in touch with a great charter in Cabo for $600.00 and we went 11 for 14 on striped marlin.  I guess it gets more expensive as you go south...

2018 Robalo 302
     Just spoke with my buddy I PM'd you about , he had some of his customers go on the El Jefe and they had a great time . He also recommended Rick on the Rhino Charger in Tamarindo , said he is very knowledgeable and loves to fish . He said you will be fine with either boat .

It can be a little more expensive down there , but there are a few boats that are affordable and will put you on the fish . If you were in Quepos you could fish offshore for $850 a day and inshore for $550 a day . I used to fish with those guys a lot before I got hooked up with the guys I fish with now . 

I'm curious , did you fish with Renegade Mike in Cabo ?
  • CudjoeCudjoe Posts: 32 Deckhand
    Thanks again for the input, I do not know Renegade Mike but he sounds like he would be a lot of fun to fish with.  We fished with Efrén on the Guerita II.  I just went on their web site and they are now up to the Guerita III and are $900 a day now.  Just a reminder that it was 10 years ago that we fished with them on our 25th anniversary.

2018 Robalo 302
    Mike is a diehard tuna guy , and he's originally from Miami . He is a blast to fish with , and he charges $650 a day . My buddy is moving the boat to Cabo right now , supposed to go next week to pick it up from the ship in La Paz and move it to San Jose del Cabo . Can't wait to fish PV for cow tuna , and Mag Bay for stripeys .