Turneffe Flats, Belize

greenie-slayergreenie-slayer Posts: 738 Officer
You can view all the pics in the link to the report below. Turneffe flats is amazing. Many of the other anglers and I agreed we though it was better than going to the keys. I ended up bringing way too many fly patterns. #10 ep micro shrimp, #4 bonefish bitters, #2 avalon crab, and 3/0 black/purple ep baitfish caught all the fish. Only a few bonefish were caught on the first day on smaller #8 bonefish bitters because the guides are a little wary are using client tied flies. all bonefish flies needed to be blind and all permit flies were bead chain. Alot lighter than what I thought i would need. Catching my first permit on my own #4 bonefish bitters in shin high water was an awesome feeling. He wasn't a monster but seeing him tailing and getting a perfect shot on him was awesome. I had alot more shots at permit but we had 25mph most of the tip so getting a cast into the wind to drop on their head was less than easy. I did have a bigger one on but due to a knot in the fly had i had to break him off. After that i busted out the stripping basket to no longer have the wind blow my fly line all over the deck and get knotted up. Every tarpon we saw ate the fly right away. We ended up going 13/18 with only 2 fish being smaller. Average was around 80lbs but fought one for about 20 minutes that was around 130lb before he threw the hook. If you have the chance to go down there I highly recommend it. I will for sure be going back.
https://forums.floridasportsman.com/discussion/262346/turneffe-flats-belize/p1?new=1

Replies

• sparse greysparse grey Posts: 1,751 Captain
    Glad you enjoyed.  Made our 2nd trip July 14th. Really enjoy the bonefish.
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.
  • greenie-slayergreenie-slayer Posts: 738 Officer
    Glad you enjoyed.  Made our 2nd trip July 14th. Really enjoy the bonefish.
    I really only tried for bonefish on the 1st day and then in the mornings before breakfast. Most of the bonefish were small and too easy to catch.  Kinda wish I had brought the 5wt for them. If I ever get the chance to go again I think I would prefer to only chase permit and tarpon then get a quick bonefish when needed for a slam at the end of the day
  • Lower MatecumbeLower Matecumbe Posts: 23 Greenhorn
    nice job