Better looking water this morning and excellent morning bite in and around P.I. sound 9/4

We just returned from our place in Big Pine late last night as we let the storm blow by before heading back so I had the day off work already and figured I might as well go out for a few hrs so I called my cousin who recently moved down here from MI, he's the perfect candidate for a last minute trip( single, kids grown and works for himself ) We launched out of Pineland around 6:15 to a slow incoming tide and after hitting a few grass flats we were able to get enough bait to fill the bait-well, mainly pinfish.  I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the water, very clean this morning with lots of bait and bird action, we started off at one of my favorite tarpon spots near the north end of N.Captiva and immediately began to see decent size fish rolling. We set up on them and begin throwing a baitbuster and live target softbodied mullet. Right off the bat my live target got slammed viciously and after I short lived but fun fight in comes the largest Spanish mackerel I've ever seen inshore. Before I could get the mack back into the water my cousin's baitbuster gets inhaled and almost instantly I see a silver flash breaking the surface followed by a 70-80lb ****, tarpon on! I looked at the clock- 7:38 am. What a battle this one put on going aerial several times, Shayne did a great job and after a few intense runs and darn near taking out my trolling motor I had the leader in my hand and after taking the time to properly revive the fish it was released healthy and lively swam away. Over the next 40 mins or so we jumped 2 more, including about a 60lb fish that took a catch2000 and was close to a release before the hook pulled and then around 8:20am they completely shut off. We move back inside and ran south a bit around 
Regla island area and found a few spots where the water was still moving through mangrove cuts and got several snook the biggest going about 30" and the average i'd say 22". We then worked around some good looking mangroves and got 3 decent redfish, 2 on cut pinfish and the 3rd and largest at 28" took a live target shrimp. For some reason I can not upload pics right now? will try to add later.              

Replies