Snook Season Opener

I was an avid inshore angler before I moved to Jupiter in 2013 but since I got here it's been hard to spend a day inshore especially when the Big Blue is So close! Well as we all know it was blowing harder than a fat kid with a birthday cake this weekend, so I made another last minute decision to go fishing. After begging my wife to go with me for a few hours she gave up on date night and told me to find a friend and just GO! 
I called my good buddy MakoLogic and we were on the water in under an hour. It was hard to spot any bait with the steady 1' chop all over but we got lucky with a net full of Pilchards behind Dubois Park. We tried to fish the docks around the inlet but after 95 catfish and 30 mph gusts we moved inside. We found some nice and pretty lights out of the wind and continued to catch catfish by the dozens. Around 10pm the tide picked up and the fishing got better. Pat got a nice 22" snook, then I got my first slot snook! A lot of people consider me a fisherman but it's hard to say I lived in Jupiter this long and never tasted Snook! 

This has been an outstanding summer for me! I'm not trying to brag but looking back' I've had some banner days! I got my first Marlin on the 4th of July, my first swordfish during the Red Snapper season (Out of New Smyrna) & my first legal Snook & it was in season! 

I didn't realize how lucky I was to fish Sunday night till I checked the weather Monday morning! 

Jonathan Mullarkey's
SUPERCLEAN SERVICES
Professional cleaning and restoration since 1999
CARPETS - UPHOLSTERY - TILE - GROUT - MARBLE - TERRAZZO

CLEAN - POLISH - SEAL - RESTORE - PROTECT
561-891-1236
www.steamcleanjupiter.com

Replies

• blakhawkdocblakhawkdoc Posts: 212 Deckhand
    Thanks for the report and congratulations on your great summer of fishing. 
  • zzzzzzsplashzzzzzzsplash Posts: 498 Deckhand
    Great summer!!  I'm in the same boat as you, been in Palm Beach County 10 years, caught some nice snook but never a slot in season.  How was the table taste test?
  • Reel MullarkeyReel Mullarkey Posts: 1,837 Captain
    I might have been over hyped on the table fare. Snook is very good. The meat very nice, almost like a dolphin snapper if that makes sense. It was very firm and flaky. I fried 1/2 of it Monday then I went out of town for 2 days and I'm gonna cook the other 1/2 tomorrow. 
    Does anyone have a suggestion for cooking snook?
    Jonathan Mullarkey's
    SUPERCLEAN SERVICES
    Professional cleaning and restoration since 1999
    CARPETS - UPHOLSTERY - TILE - GROUT - MARBLE - TERRAZZO

CLEAN - POLISH - SEAL - RESTORE - PROTECT
    561-891-1236
    www.steamcleanjupiter.com
  • jensenjeff1955jensenjeff1955 Posts: 56 Greenhorn
    As a former a Chef I will tell you nothing beats fried Snook fingers either buttermilk soaked and rolled in seasoned flour or Panko breaded served up with Remoulade sauce or homemade tarter sauce. Enjoy!
  • GarysmoGarysmo Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 662 Officer
    Some good looking fish.....congrats