West End Crossing 9/6- Report attached (pics)

Docked WagesDocked Wages Posts: 2,812 Admin
edited September 11 in Tropics #1
Looks like the weather is going to hold up for a crossing this week to OBB.  We heading out of Stuart on Thursday and returning Sunday.  Probably a late morning crossing Thursday on a 29' Southport.  Anyone else crossing this weekend?
Mark Wilson
AF1.124213220_sq_thumb_s.jpg

Replies

• Docked WagesDocked Wages Posts: 2,812 Admin

Hoping this small window holds...
    Mark Wilson
    Turned out to be a good weekend.  Crossed Thursday and returned Sunday before Florence could close our return window.  Worked a lot of new areas for lobster, conch and inshore fish.  Played with the sting rays and sharks at Sandy Cay.  

Mark Wilson
    edited September 11 #4

Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson
  • reel-chaosreel-chaos Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    Looks like an awesome trip. 
  • Frosty1Frosty1 Posts: 111 Deckhand
    Looks like a great time.Thanks for putting up the pictures
  • KaimanaKaimana Posts: 242 Deckhand
    Beautiful!  Life is great!
  • EnyarEnyar Posts: 39 Greenhorn
    Any tips on where to look for lobster out of OBB? Where did you pull that weather report from?
    Enyar said:
    Any tips on where to look for lobster out of OBB? Where did you pull that weather report from?
    We focused on hard bottom inside the bay area roughly 10' depth.  Lots of boats int he area doing the same.  Grass ledges around sand holes where also productive.  weather report is from Bouyweather.com as a paid service for the 16 day forecast.
    Mark Wilson
  • Plastered2850Plastered2850 Posts: 1,450 Officer
    Nice pics.

• privateer19privateer19 Posts: 359 Deckhand
    We were there a month ago and had great trip. Did not do well on the lobsters though good for you. Did you have a lot of lemon sharks around at Sandy? There was a guy there feeding them as well as the stingrays. First time we ever had to deal with them was this last trip. Kind of sucked with my grandson's......
    edited September 14 #14
    We were there a month ago and had great trip. Did not do well on the lobsters though good for you. Did you have a lot of lemon sharks around at Sandy? There was a guy there feeding them as well as the stingrays. First time we ever had to deal with them was this last trip. Kind of sucked with my grandson's......
    Yes we had 4 sharks circling us on Sandy and came as close as the sting rays.  Typically my wife is scared , crazy scared, of sharks but she seems to be accepting them now.  We anchored a 100 yards out because last time we stayed too long and the tide dropped and we got stuck and she handled the wading back to the boat well while the sharks followed us.... we had 1 lemon and 3 black tips all within 2 feet of us but they where never a threat.  The guy feeding them most likely was Capt Keith on a 21 Mako called Ely.  He is known as the stingray guy.  Nice fellow and a friend.  Let me know when you want to go again, I own two condos their and we can work a deal.  If you were there a month ago we too were there for the opening week of lobster season. 
    Mark Wilson
  • StayinLazyStayinLazy Posts: 396 Deckhand
    Looks like a killer trip man.  Good eats!!
  • Salty GatorSalty Gator Posts: 1,807 Captain
    Looks like a fun trip.  Are all the power posts back working at OBB?
    Looks like a fun trip.  Are all the power posts back working at OBB?
    Yes,

All brand new power poles,and water connections.  Good clean power completely rewired.
    Mark Wilson
  • privateer19privateer19 Posts: 359 Deckhand
    Yep that was him. I never look to get in the way of someones career but sharks are just bad mojo. Feeding them long term can never be good. IMHO I will definitely get with with you prior to our next trip, thank you.
  • tarpon41tarpon41 Posts: 186 Deckhand
    Outstanding except a screwdriver to release the conk...did you put pep in your step or did you through it away?