Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

ALBRIGHT KNOT QUESTION

The previous "knot" question discussed many great knots.  Now I have a question concerning the Albright knots.  I've tied a variation of the Albright for many, many years with absolutely no slippage, no breaks, no problems.  Simple to tie.  Instead of making a "U" in the leader material, close it and form an "0".  Now, when wrapping the leader with the line there are three strands of leader material instead of just two.  All else is the same.  This works for me with Nanofil line and fluorocarbon leader for inshore, PowerPro line and heavy fluorocarbon for offshore.  Is there a name for this knot?  Anyone else doing this?  Easy to tie and strong.  Thanks.
SO WHEN IS THIS "OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER" SUPPOSED TO KICK IN?

Replies

• Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,609 Captain
    Doesn't the 3 strands of leader make for a bulky knot? 
  • THINKICANTHINKICAN Homosassa, FLPosts: 571 Officer
    "Doesn't the 3 strands of leader make for a bulky knot? " 

Actually, Doc, no!  It's as small as any knot I 've found and much, much easier to tie, even for this 88 year old youngster!  Try it Doc, you may even like it.  Stop by the dock and I'll tie it for you.  I have some pictures of tying it and even a short video but have no idea how to transfer them onto any web site and they seem too large to email.  Yes, I am NOT tech savvyt!!
  • SpineymanSpineyman Destin, FlPosts: 8,282 Admiral
    Don't know the name of the knot but the improved albright works plenty fine for me. When using braid to mono or fluoro 10 wraps one way and then 10 back, then back through the bottom loop the same way you went in to begin with. Then a 4 turn uni to finish off the knot and help it go through the micro guides effortlessly. If attaching mono to mono or fluoro then 4 turns one way and 6 turns back.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• THINKICANTHINKICAN Homosassa, FLPosts: 571 Officer
    "When using braid to mono or fluoro 10 wraps one way and then 10 back, then back through the bottom loop the same way you went in to begin with. Then a 4 turn uni to finish off the knot and help it go through the micro guides effortlessly. If attaching mono to mono or fluoro then 4 turns one way and 6 turns back."  

Interesting, Spineyman, but that seems like a lot of wraps to me.  With my knot, I usually use four to seven wraps maximum, four with the inshore stuff, five to seven with the heavier line.  Quick, easy and ALMOST foolproof.  Try it before judging it.  
    THINKICAN said:
    "When using braid to mono or fluoro 10 wraps one way and then 10 back, then back through the bottom loop the same way you went in to begin with. Then a 4 turn uni to finish off the knot and help it go through the micro guides effortlessly. If attaching mono to mono or fluoro then 4 turns one way and 6 turns back."  

Interesting, Spineyman, but that seems like a lot of wraps to me.  With my knot, I usually use four to seven wraps maximum, four with the inshore stuff, five to seven with the heavier line.  Quick, easy and ALMOST foolproof.  Try it before judging it. 

No can do. I have micro guides and the thinner the better. With that many wraps it only makes the knot longer not thicker. I can't use the one with the knot in the leader first either. Now as far as hold trust me I just fought a 51 " jack crevalle for 3 hours and 1o minutes and won the fight. That was on a 2500 reel and 15 pound braid and 20 pound fluorocarbon. So I know beyond a shadow of a doubt my knots will hold and still pass through the guides flawlessly.

if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• araceclanaraceclan Posts: 113 Deckhand
    not a tech savvy either so cannot post this video but i think this is a link to the knot in question, if not this knot  has worked well for me. Https://youtu.be_C7NpEO
    sorry, its not working , will try again
    i'll give it one more try, chasing tails video
    Araceclan, that is it for sure nice and neat. I do put a 4 turn uni lock on the braid end. It makes it go through the guides easier. It is easy to tie, I can tie it in my sleep. Been doing it for a long long time and it holds tight.

been using it  along time too and will have to try the uni lock, that is the only problem i have with the FG, even if i use zap a gap or hard as nails the FG will sometimes start to unravel by the end of the day, im sure it something im doing wrong
    araceclan said:
    been using it  along time too and will have to try the uni lock, that is the only problem i have with the FG, even if i use zap a gap or hard as nails the FG will sometimes start to unravel by the end of the day, I'm sure it something I'm doing wrong
    I quit using any glue due to super small guides. It just wreaks havoc going through on long casts. The uni solves that problem, and i cast several hundred times a trip. I start with a 6' leader and don't change out until it gets a foot long. It has made a major difference for me.

i do the same with leader length but i did a lot of control wiring using a ton of ty raps, had a tool that cuts the ty rap flush so you don't rip your  hands/ arms open, that cutter looks very much like my wife's cuticle cutter, anyway i use that tool or the cuticle cutter to cut the mono tag end right up against the braid so it does not leave much , hardly noticeable to me but will still try your way , thanks 
  • Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 1,166 Officer
    araceclan said:
    i do the same with leader length but i did a lot of control wiring using a ton of ty raps, had a tool that cuts the ty rap flush so you don't rip your  hands/ arms open, that cutter looks very much like my wife's cuticle cutter, anyway i use that tool or the cuticle cutter to cut the mono tag end right up against the braid so it does not leave much , hardly noticeable to me but will still try your way , thanks 
    Fingernail clippers give a good close cut on the mono also.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
  • finbullyfinbully Posts: 726 Officer
    Zero issues here with a standard issue Albright. There's more than one way to make the line to line connections but to me the most important besides does it hold is - can I tie it in the dark. I mean pitch black dark.
    araceclan said:
    I move the leader length out to the side and use fingernail clippers to cut the tag end on a diagonal. Not sharp at all and even helps line go in and out easier.