Naples back country redfish

JW_YakAnglerJW_YakAngler NaplesPosts: 106 Deckhand
Explored some of the back country between Rookery bay and Johnson bay on a short morning trip. I started out throwing topwater and had a few misses, then switched to a big paddle tail and only managed a jack. Fortunately my buddy did better. He also started out throwing a topwater(skitterwalk) and got a pompano on topwater, then switched over to gulp jerkshad and got a nice 26" redfish and a bigger 15" pompano. Gulp was all I threw for years, but I finally wrote them off after having them leak on the carpet of my truck one too many times(in spite of keeping them in "waterproof" containers). This is the second trip that my friend has put on a clinic with the gulps though, so I may go back to the darkside. That stuff won't be in the cab of my truck though, stayin' in the bed with the kayak for sure.

Replies

• backyardhockeybackyardhockey Posts: 143 Deckhand
    Thanks for posting the video. Where did you launch?
  • snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,035 Officer
    Nice
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • 10kman10kman Posts: 443 Deckhand
      Let me solve your problem.They sell gelato,name 
    Talenti.So not only do you get a great dessert but
    also a leak proof empty container.But you have to
    get it out of Gulp containers.
  • JW_YakAnglerJW_YakAngler NaplesPosts: 106 Deckhand
    Thanks for posting the video. Where did you launch?
    Drone shots were from the shell island road launch(rookery bay). Water quality was disgusting. That foamy brown stuff was everywhere. Dead manatee was being dissected by a rookery bay biologist on the bank of Henderson creek. Moved down to the Isles of Capri paddle park, water was much clearer, the red was caught at 9:30 AM.
    10kman said:
      Let me solve your problem.They sell gelato,name 
    Talenti.So not only do you get a great dessert but
    also a leak proof empty container.But you have to
    get it out of Gulp containers.
    Googled it, looks delicious. I have tried mason style jars, but it's hard to get hand inside. These look like they have a good sized opening, will try it.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,097 Captain
    I use a bunch of Gulp with my anglers using them on 1/8 or 1/4oz leadheads that I produce myself... The stuff is a pain (and Pure Fishing won't even return my phone calls...)...  Since I'm a full time guide I buy in at four or five pints each time.  I'd be buying the quart size if they still offered them (divided between the 3" shrimp in New Penny and the 4" mullet in Pearl White).  Since I've never found a completely leak-proof container I keep two of the standard pint sized containers in a plastic tray on the floor of my skiff.  This works quite well since the tray (just a two quart plastic container without the lid) catches any drips and in general makes the stuff manageable.  I use that same tray to hold an assortment of egg sinkers so it doesn't slide around much.  By the way - for those not aware the "juice" that the Gulp comes in is the same stuff no matter what style or shape Gulp product you're using so you could easily keep an assortment in just one tub....

The good news about the juice is that it rinses away easily (as long as you don't allow any spills inside a car onto carpet...).  I tend to leave my Gulp tray on the skiff though - much easier to deal with it that way...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • VikingViking Posts: 121 Deckhand
    Beautiful area!
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 887 Officer
    Great vid!! Looks like your getting to know our area!!
    Jason :USA
    1outlaw said:
    Great vid!! Looks like your getting to know our area!!
    Thanks, I fished Rookery bay pretty heavy for 6 years before I started exploring Pine Island sound. Love the clear water up there, but the red tide has pushed me south again. The 10k on the other hand, is new territory for me and has been a humbling experience. Starting to figure out how to fish the tides there in a kayak.