Need Help - Scalloping Next Weekend

It is my wife's birthday next weekend, September 8.  She really wants to go scalloping.  We intended to go to Steinhatchee, but I am hearing that the scalloping may be no good there due to too much rain.  Is that correct?  If so, is there another alternative, like Crystal River that is still worthwhile?

Thanks in advance for any help.  I really want to take her scalloping, but not if it wont be any fun. 

Replies

• crystalriverratcrystalriverrat Posts: 22 Greenhorn
    South of the bird rack in Homosassa they are still getting scallops in good numbers.
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,627 Captain
    They’ve grown in the past week. 
  • Bud in FlaBud in Fla Posts: 58 Greenhorn
    Check the older scallop discussion here. I was out 2 weeks ago and 3 of us in my boat got our limits. Headed out again on 9/17 or 9/18 when the tidal coefficient is lower. The tidal current is going to be rough 9/7.

https://tides4fishing.com/us/florida-gulf-coast/shell-island-north-end
  • tampaspicertampaspicer Posts: 276 Deckhand
    Swim into the current just in case when you get tired you can float back to the boat. It also helps to see into the grass. 
  • THINKICANTHINKICAN Homosassa, FLPosts: 423 Deckhand
    Excellent advice, tampaspicer.  And stay near the boat.  Some "boat drivers" have no sense or courtesy.

SO WHEN IS THIS "OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER" SUPPOSED TO KICK IN?
    Trailing a life ring/bouy or something 200 ft or more off the back helps in a stiff current, too - something to pull your self back in with. I've done that more than once diving 60 miles off of the SC coast. 
    (My NAUI card is dated 7/1/68)

• Almost PerfectAlmost Perfect Posts: 528 Officer
    edited September 2018 #8
    Trailing a life ring/bouy or something 200 ft or more off the back helps in a stiff current, too - something to pull your self back in with. I've done that more than once diving 60 miles off of the SC coast. 
    (My NAUI card is dated 7/1/68)

The other boaters passing by on plane would run over it. 
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Contender 27 Cuddy
    Good point! We didn't have any traffic where we were. 
  • Almost PerfectAlmost Perfect Posts: 528 Officer
    It was us and one other boat last weekend. Miles on either side of us. 5 boats went between us on plane. 

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Contender 27 Cuddy