I should know this by now, but whats the best knot to tie a mono leader to braid?

I mostly fish with braid, but sometimes I do need to utilize a mono leader.
What do you folks suggest for a knot?

Replies

• SeaDonkeySeaDonkey Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    The FG Knot.

• mattb78mattb78 Posts: 179 Deckhand
    I have used the slim beauty knot for years with no problem.  The only thing I don't like about it is that you have to trim several tag ends which is tedious.

I will have to give this one a shot though.  I like the low profile of the knot.
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,366 Captain
    edited August 2018 #4
    I can tie slime beauties and FG knots at home, but not in a boat. They are way too tedious. I use the Red Philips knot, which is just an overhand knot in the mono that acts as a jam for a 7-turn uni knot with the braid. It's smaller and faster to tie than a double uni.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAbXaGYaaIo
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,891 Captain
    The FG is the strongest but the improved Albright is nearly as strong and a fraction of the effort to tie so I use it.
  • CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,356 Officer
    I like this one that's basically a modified version of a 2 turn Red Philips

I say......I say son.......new & improved my tail feathers.

• THINKICANTHINKICAN Homosassa, FLPosts: 423 Deckhand
    Agree with Jim311.  Never have had it fail but, then, I keep a fairly loose drag to play the fish.
    SO WHEN IS THIS "OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER" SUPPOSED TO KICK IN?
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 1,086 Officer
    sp00n- said:
    I mostly fish with braid, but sometimes I do need to utilize a mono leader.
    What do you folks suggest for a knot?
    The one you can tie from memory while bouncing around and has never failed(or almost never).
    uni to uni for me. 
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 919 Officer
    I use a 15 turn Albright and a drop of super glue for Grouper trolling.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 3,023 Captain
    Fg
    You should have been here yesterday
  • TrevfishinTrevfishin Posts: 587 Officer
    Hahahaha, a friend taught me the Red Philip one years ago while fishing for drum off the Outer Banks. Never knew it had a name!  Actually forgot about it.  Now I just do a swivel with a polamar knot and then a loop knot through the other end. Guess I’m just lazy
    I have to try the knot that CountryBumpkin posted. It may be even easier to tie than the Red Philips. 

Ease of tying is really important on the water. 
  • Almost PerfectAlmost Perfect Posts: 528 Officer
    Most of the time it’s a double uni since I can tie it no matter the weather or quantity of beer I’ve drank. 
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Contender 27 Cuddy
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,628 Captain
    FG knot is for limp wristed “salt strong” members
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 1,086 Officer
    I have to try the knot that CountryBumpkin posted. It may be even easier to tie than the Red Philips. 

I like that Red Philips, May have to give it a shot.
    As for the double one though, I am old enough to have failing eyes and young enough to be too stubborn to buy
    the dreaded readers.(yet)
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
    I can't see either. So when I tie the Red Philips, I need to run out a lot of leader after doing the overhand knot in order to tie the uni. With the other version of the knot, I think I will waste less leader material. Gotta try it.

I am a cheap SOB. 

The FG knot is the "cool" knot among folks who spend too much money on tackle and want the best of everything. It is a good knot. I sometimes tie one at home for my jigging setup.  It's about the best you can get for passing through guides without hanging up.  But as soon as I break off the leader on a trip (almost always happens), I use the Red Philips.
  • permit_mepermit_me Posts: 924 Officer
    4WARD said:
    The one you can tie from memory while bouncing around and has never failed(or almost never).
    uni to uni for me. 
    exactly. if you learn to tie one knot for saltwater its a uni. uni to uni for braid to mono or flouro. uni to hook. you can even use a uni to tie line to spool.  4 or 5 turns for mono or flouro and 7 for the braid.
    nick said:
    Or guys that like an extremely strong and thin knot. No reason to hate
    I can't see either. So when I tie the Red Philips, I need to run out a lot of leader after doing the overhand knot in order to tie the uni. With the other version of the knot, I think I will waste less leader material. Gotta try it.

I am a cheap SOB. 

The FG knot is the "cool" knot among folks who spend too much money on tackle and want the best of everything. It is a good knot. I sometimes tie one at home for my jigging setup.  It's about the best you can get for passing through guides without hanging up.  But as soon as I break off the leader on a trip (almost always happens), I use the Red Philips.
    What does a knot have to do with what people spend on tackle? A little uncharacteristic hate from you Doc
    Hate? I don't hate anybody. 

Just a comment on folks who think they need to have the best of everything.  If someone wants to spend 3-5 minutes tying a stupid knot, that's their business.  There are better choices if you just need to get back in the water.  The FG is a good knot.
    Hate? I don't hate anybody. 

Just a comment on folks who think they need to have the best of everything.  If someone wants to spend 3-5 minutes tying a stupid knot, that's their business.  There are better choices if you just need to get back in the water.  The FG is a good knot.
    If it takes you 3-5 minuets, then you should tie a different knot
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,628 Captain
    nick said:
    Or guys that like an extremely strong and thin knot. No reason to hate
    Just trying to get a shot in on salt strong lol

I like the knot. But time is critical when you retie 30+ times a day. I can bust out a uni to uni in seconds.

Blindfolded
    With one hand
    Using wire
  • TrevfishinTrevfishin Posts: 587 Officer
    Saltygatorvet:
    Pretty sure DocStressor was saying why he DOESN’T use the FG not, because it takes him that long.  It’s not that he can’t but CHOOSES not to when the Red Philips works just as well for him. Not hater
  • THINKICANTHINKICAN Homosassa, FLPosts: 423 Deckhand
    Just a question.  Does anyone else, when tying an Albright knot for floro to braid, instead of just using a "U' with the floro close it to make an "0"?  When this is done, there are three strands of floro (or mono) wrapped by the braid instead of just two.  I've used this knot for years with never a failure, never any slippage.  I use Nanofil Braid on the inshore stuff, PowerPro on the heavier stuff.  Never a problem.  Absolutely no slippage, a small knot and extremely easy to tie.  If there's a name for it, I've never heard it.  Try it!  You may like it!
    SO WHEN IS THIS "OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER" SUPPOSED TO KICK IN?
  • finbullyfinbully Posts: 491 Deckhand

The best is the knot you can tie the best in the dark with a certain amount of speed. I am being serious with that statement. Breaking strength will be debated forever. They key is how good can YOU tie it, how does it cast through the rod guides and can you repeatedly tie it in the dark.

Like nick said - be able to tie it in seconds!

• SevenweightSevenweight Posts: 47 Greenhorn

Lee, That knot (the one posted by CountryBumpkin) is essentially an FG knot, IMO. Not in the same league as the Red Phillips (or the figure 8 variation) as far as ease of tying. I use the FG 90 percent of the time but like to have simpler options and the Red Phillips looks like a good one.  Just tied a few sitting on the couch. When I tie a knot perfectly the first time without looking back at the instructions I know it’s simple! I found the figure 8 version tricky and fussy by comparison ... specifically the part where you thread the braid back through both bights of the 8 ... yikes!
  • CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,356 Officer

Lee, That knot (the one posted by CountryBumpkin) is essentially an FG knot, IMO.

You must have watched the wrong video, the knot I posted is a 2 turn surgeon's loop in the mono & a uni knot in the braid. That is nothing like a FG knot. And you can tie it without passing the braid thru the center of the surgeon's loop, but doing it as shown makes a more in line and straight flow of the finished knot.

I say......I say son.......new & improved my tail feathers.

• mattb78mattb78 Posts: 179 Deckhand
    Just tried the FG knot and I really like it. I am going to tie it exclusively over the slim beauty.

I watched a video or 2 and didn't like it until I saw the one where the guy holds the braided line in his mouth.  This made the knot much quicker for me.

The trick is to hold the braided line in your mouth and hold the fluro leader horizontally, it goes alot quicker this way.
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,261 Officer
    Like Doc I'll tie an FG at home and a 3 or 4 turn surgeons knot on the boat.  One of my river fishing buddies uses braid with a fluorocarbon leader and when he breaks it off he's 10 minutes tying his stuff back on.
  • SevenweightSevenweight Posts: 47 Greenhorn

You must have watched the wrong video, the knot I posted is a 2 turn surgeon's loop in the mono & a uni knot in the braid. That is nothing like a FG knot. And you can tie it without passing the braid thru the center of the surgeon's loop, but doing it as shown makes a more in line and straight flow of the finished knot.
    Yep, somehow I watched the wrong video. 
  • SalteyDogSalteyDog Posts: 38 Greenhorn

Double the braid and go around the mono 8-10 times pull the mono back through the loop and tighten!

If you have room the second week in November i'll be down in Cedar Key, eMail or call/text!

Bill 515-204-4553