Today 8/30; Sarasota Bay

With the Red Tide around I wasn't sure where to fish.  I choose to keep it simple and put in at 10th street.  Started before sunrise on the East side about midway up the bay.  Only one ladyfish.  Water was stained and I saw zero life.  I crossed to the West side just North of New Pass.  No fish and zero life.  That's it!  

Replies

• kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,111 Captain
    Sucks.  Sorry man.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
  • lukkyracerlukkyracer Posts: 702 Officer
    That whole area was my go to several years ago. It has been on the decline the last couple of years. Who knows when it will be worth trying again. Palma sola too. Frustrating.
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,111 Captain
    Yeah I used to crush it near Palma Sola about 15 years back... I make a trip there once a year now and it's just never the same.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
  • John HaggertyJohn Haggerty Posts: 212 Deckhand
    This is only my third summer here in Florida.  The inshore fishing is a big part of why I choose to be here.  Now I'm considering being a snowbird and heading North for about 4 months during the summer.  I'll see how the bay recovers this winter and choose next spring.  
  • MikelleenMikelleen Posts: 73 Greenhorn
    I'm new to Charlotte Harbor area. We just bought a home in North Port near where the Myakka river enters the harbor.
    I'm looking to do inshore fishing in these areas.
    We currently are seeing a lot of freshwater runoff. I am wondering what species I can target? I'm off big slough.
    You should be a snowbird. Don't expect a major increase in the fish population by next spring.
  • John HaggertyJohn Haggerty Posts: 212 Deckhand
    I was doing good before this red tide.  I was in a good pattern where I would fish for big trout very shallow just before light.  I normally could pick up a couple of big ones in very shallow fresh grass.  I'd then move to fish snook for a couple of hours.  Was doing good.  I'd then start to explore and find a mixed bag covering a lot of new water.  This is how I'd find redfish.  Concerned it might be a couple of months before anything good again.
    If it's good in a couple of months, that would be awesome! I'm no expert, but I think it is going to take a lot longer than that. Also, red tide is by no means done. It has moved offshore due to east winds. If the weather pattern changes to onshore winds, my guess it will be back and if that happens I think Pinellas will get hit next. If I remember right, the red tide from 2004 2005 lasted 18 months or so.
  • joekat46joekat46 North PortPosts: 2,252 Captain
    Mikelleen said:
    I'm new to Charlotte Harbor area. We just bought a home in North Port near where the Myakka river enters the harbor.
    I'm looking to do inshore fishing in these areas.
    We currently are seeing a lot of freshwater runoff. I am wondering what species I can target? I'm off big slough.
    We often fished the Myakka from I-75 to 41 using a jon boat or canoe.  Very common to catch bass and snook in the same trip. This true mostly during early winter.  A popper and white spinnerbait was usually good enough. In the spring tarpon can show up near the NP yacht club ramp.  Enjoyable area to fish since is supposed to be all no wake. Good luck.