Replies

• Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,126 Admiral
    Good idea
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,879 Captain
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
    Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters
  • DfreedomDfreedom Posts: 106 Deckhand
    Given the circumstances, probably a good idea.  Hate that Florida is experiencing such a mess.
  • LostconchLostconch Posts: 219 Deckhand
    I understand it but it is sad. I hope this gets peoples attention
  • WadeFishermanWadeFisherman Posts: 437 Deckhand
    Notice how they stated “naturally-occurring.”
  • Diego_sosaaDiego_sosaa Posts: 72 Greenhorn
    The people that don't like this are the people that only kill slots to brag on Instagram.
    Yeah, that wasn't lost on most people
  • wjt03cwjt03c Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    "naturally occurring" was stated multiple times in the article. also chuckled at the thanks to rick scott towards the end of the article.
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,879 Captain
    Notice how they stated “naturally-occurring.”
    Yeah they've been saying that in the weekly reports for about a month now.  It always strikes a nerve with me, as if they're trying to push an agenda.  (tin foil hat alert)
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
    Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters
  • dorian kennedydorian kennedy Posts: 121 Deckhand
    Personally, I have not kept a snook since the big freeze several years ago.  Good idea.
  • BigGuyinaLittleBoatBigGuyinaLittleBoat Posts: 43 Greenhorn
    Fire is also naturally occurring. How come that's never mentioned in articles about arsonists?
  • nhkevnhkev Posts: 44 Greenhorn
    I don't think there would be much support for this next idea, but a lot of the fish kill were baitfish.  I wouldn't mind seeing a temporary  moratorium on using live bait,  with maybe the exception of shrimp brought in from other areas to let the area recover quicker.
    Problem is that would put several commercial fishermen out of work
  • winderbillwinderbill Posts: 285 Deckhand
    again...."the sky is falling, the sky falling" …. too bad the FWC can't do something to stop the carnage in the first place...like not allowing nutrient laden discharge from Lake O into the Caloosahatchee and St Lucie rivers! Personally, I think all these slots, closures, and size limits are just a ruse to make sportsmen believe the FWC is on top of fisheries management. Easy for the $90,000 bay boat crowd to support closures while the dinner menu for the poor schmuck on the bridge trying to take a meal back home to his family gets squeezed. I know I'll get a lot of blowback for this post, but I've seen more freezes and red tides in my 60+ years in Florida than most on this forum and every one dealt but a temporary setback. (and I haven't eaten a snook in 25 years!)
  • lukkyracerlukkyracer Posts: 651 Officer
    I think FWC does a great job. Closers are needed until the dust has settled. If the bridge fisherman is only worried about a meal, that is a problem. Read the inshore  FWC arrest reports. The majority or violators, are guys from shore cast netting or other illegal harvest method. Also over slot, under slot, over harvest, ect. Sorry, it is what it is.

Too many fisher people inshore.
    The worst one was 2 weeks ago. 9 inch red grouper from a bridge. What  a waste.
  • BlueRacerBlueRacer Posts: 83 Greenhorn
    The closure was a knee-jerk reaction with absolutely no quantitative science.  In most fisheries the number of successful offspring is driven by the juvenile carrying capacity of the environment,not the number of eggs laid.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 9,311 Admiral
    and gonad weight, don't forget the gonad weight.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • Firetruck1Firetruck1 Posts: 134 Deckhand
    Interesting take from a SW Florida bait shop owner: Treat the inshore guides like commercial fisherman. Allow them to take clients out and keep the catch. Recreational fisherman would still be catch and release for now. Kinda makes sense, as to not ruin the tourism and also allow the inshore stock to recover.... Kinda makes sense.

Also, Desoto county and Hardee counties, not included in the closure, so regular Joes can still catch a redfish or snook dinner.

Food for thought. I thought it was an interesting, out of box take on the current situation...
  • mannn123mannn123 Posts: 127 Deckhand
    WOW!  I don't even know where to begin with that.  

First, I would guess that "tourism" and the dollars brought here to enjoy our fisheries don't revolve around fishing charters alone. 

Second, if we are going to close it for each red tide event, cold snap, etc., then so be it.  However, most of the studies seem to conclude that legal recreational harvest (at least of snook) is such a small number that it usually doesn't make a difference in the population as a whole.  In addition, the old adage that 10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish is often true and since guides are on the water a lot, they put their clients on a lot of fish.  I don't begrudge any of them that or their livelihoods, however, if you adopt that policy, I don't think you are doing anything that allows the population to recover (you might want to look at release mortality)....but you will really cause some resentment with that idea.....particularly when you use the phrase "treat them like commercial fisherman" in the context of harvesting snook and redfish.

The reality is that if its bad enough to close it down, everyone unfortunately will have to make some sacrifices.  

Lastly, would you be willing to identify said SW Florida bait shop owner?  I would be curious as to the genesis of that idea.
  • winderbillwinderbill Posts: 285 Deckhand
    BlueRacer said:
    The closure was a knee-jerk reaction with absolutely no quantitative science.  In most fisheries the number of successful offspring is driven by the juvenile carrying capacity of the environment,not the number of eggs laid.
    Nailed it! “The carrying capacity of the environment!” Precisely why snook stocks ALWAYS rebound following freezes and red tides. Wholesale, indiscriminate, commercial  gill netting was the only factor to offset this naturally occurring rebound of inshore fisheries. No amount of hook and line recreational fishing could reek such havoc. Slot limits are a cruel joke with a one fish limit being more than enough restriction 
    Again I will say that closing down one species just puts more pressure on other species. This is just FWC playing whack a mole. I have a real probelm with this whole idea. If the guides are to be treated like cpmmercial fishermen(I don't think they should be) then their clients shouldn't be doing even catch and release on closed species. As far as that goes should any of us be fishing for fish that had to be closed
    down. I do alot of catch and release but I don't see this morrateum doing much 

• FinfinderFinfinder Posts: 9,809 Admiral
    edited September 2018 #24
    I think FWC does a great job. Closers are needed until the dust has settled. If the bridge fisherman is only worried about a meal, that is a problem. Read the inshore  FWC arrest reports. The majority or violators, are guys from shore cast netting or other illegal harvest method. Also over slot, under slot, over harvest, ect. Sorry, it is what it is.

That is ridiculous.   It is easier to patrol and target the the shore angler.   You don't know what happens otherwise.   
    So unless you can afford a boat you shouldn't be fishing?
    Finfinder said:

That is ridiculous.   It is easier to patrol and target the the shore angler.   You don't know what happens 
    I know what happens on my boat. Regulations are always followed and respected. Been checked at the ramp many times.

The state sets the regulations, however, it's also up to us fishermen to notice changes in the population of certain species that are crucial to all of us. The trout and snook took a big hit. Not so much with redfish. The reds have not been here in normal numbers anyway. 

Not like I've never shore fished before I had a boat.

I know what happens on my boat. Regulations are always followed and respected. Been checked at the ramp many times.

The state sets the regulations, however, it's also up to us fishermen to notice changes in the population of certain species that are crucial to all of us. The trout and snook took a big hit. Not so much with redfish. The reds have not been here in normal numbers anyway. 

Not like I've never shore fished before I had a boat.
    This has nothing to do with my reply.  You said there are too many shore fisherman and they are the ones primarily breaking the law.  I said you don't know  that.   
    edited September 2018 #28
    I didn't say there were too many shore fishermen. I said there are too many inshore fishermen. 

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from fishing either. The fact is there are a lot less fish to go around.
  • Capt Dan MedinaCapt Dan Medina Posts: 718 Officer
    I have not personally kept a snook since the bad freeze. And believe me, I did enjoy taking 1 or 2 a year as they are excellent tablefair. However, since the freeze the snook have NOT rebounded to previous levels. So i chose to not take a fish even though legally yes I could have harvested it. With this red tide issue going on, the current populations of fish are stacked in areas not currently affected by the red tides. This makes them easier to target and considering the massive casualties the population has suffered, I think it is only right they are given the chance to rebound... afterall, these fish are the ones that will be responsible for reproducing in our area.  Every slot fish taken is an exponential amount of potential snooklets lost.
    I do not see an issue with catch and release as long as people are handling the fish with care. Education on proper fish handling is probably as important if not more so than the current "catch and release" implementation. 
    Both Snook and Redfish are deemed gamefish, so no commercial take or sale allowed. People need to look at the big picture. The times of Fishing and hunting as a true food source,  especially in densely populated areas such as FLorida are pretty much non existent. The vast majority of anglers do it for recreation. Do I like the government and its agencies dictating and having more power over what I do? No, absolutely not.  But with this issue, and being on the water as often as I am, seeing the things Ive seen,  I fully respect and agree with the temporary closure.     
    www.SaltyFishingCharters.com 33 Ft World Cat Tournament Edition Catamaran
    Offshore Fishing Charters FT Myers, Sanibel, Captiva, Cape Coral
    I didn't say there were too many shore fishermen. I said there are too many inshore fishermen. 

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from fishing either. The fact is there are a lot less fish to go around.

ok but you did make an assumption about people who fish from shore.   

Getting past that   I haven't ever kept a snook in 18 years I do keep 1 redfish every once in a while.   I mostly catch and release and would like to see more of it.   Fishing pressure.... I agree but not much we can do about that but fish on weekdays.  The Save the Manatee Club tried to limit boats, we don't want a repeat.  
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 899 Officer
    I have not personally kept a snook since the bad freeze. And believe me, I did enjoy taking 1 or 2 a year as they are excellent tablefair. However, since the freeze the snook have NOT rebounded to previous levels. So i chose to not take a fish even though legally yes I could have harvested it. With this red tide issue going on, the current populations of fish are stacked in areas not currently affected by the red tides. This makes them easier to target and considering the massive casualties the population has suffered, I think it is only right they are given the chance to rebound... afterall, these fish are the ones that will be responsible for reproducing in our area.  Every slot fish taken is an exponential amount of potential snooklets lost.
    I do not see an issue with catch and release as long as people are handling the fish with care. Education on proper fish handling is probably as important if not more so than the current "catch and release" implementation. 
    Both Snook and Redfish are deemed gamefish, so no commercial take or sale allowed. People need to look at the big picture. The times of Fishing and hunting as a true food source,  especially in densely populated areas such as FLorida are pretty much non existent. The vast majority of anglers do it for recreation. Do I like the government and its agencies dictating and having more power over what I do? No, absolutely not.  But with this issue, and being on the water as often as I am, seeing the things Ive seen,  I fully respect and agree with the temporary closure.     

Completely agree Captain! I know the snook in the 10K islands have made a great comeback and if what we are seeing with the reds, its going to be really good in a couple of years!
    Jason :USA