Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

Zara spooks

Love to fish with Spooks because it will send your blood 
pressure up when a big snook or tarpon slam a Spook.
   Only problem is far too many misses.Would I be
better off switching to a e/s single hook or staying
with extra strong treble hooks?Or is there a better
topwater for hookups?
    Dropped three tarpon using Spooks yesterday.  

Replies

• SpineymanSpineyman Destin, FlPosts: 8,248 Admiral
    It has been my experience that when you hook one up on the single hook they tend to stay hooked up. But it is the hooking up part that made me switch back to all trebles. I went last Thursday afternoon and had 50 blow ups, and only caught 5 fish. Switched to a top water with trebles and hooked up almost every single fish after that. So I am done with singles for now.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• pond725pond725 Posts: 35 Greenhorn
    i was wondering about the hookup ratio with single inline hooks. when you you land a fish with a mouth full of treble hooks right next to you on a kayak it makes you be a little more careful.
  • 10kman10kman Posts: 587 Officer
      Pond,your raising a good point.I would think the hookup ratio goes up
    with trebles but it is terrible if one of those trebles get buried in your 
    hand and the other still in the fish.That has happen twice to me,once 
    with a 20"red,the other small northern pike.Trust me.it ends your 
    fishing NOW, so I always crimp the barbs down now.
  • pond725pond725 Posts: 35 Greenhorn
    I've been nailed atleast 4 times usually in the thumb. first time went to the ER--100.00 bucks later. from that point on just ice it up and pull it out. that's why I have a great respect for those triple gotcha's. what is the ratio of fish lost on barbless hooks? 
  • Mr, GooganMr, Googan Posts: 72 Deckhand
    I have removed the middle hook from a couple topwaters and the hook-up ratio seems to stay consistent but the release gets easier with only 1 treble to worry about.  The nose of the lure will ride a little high at rest with the middle hook gone, but the action while moving stays the same.
  • SpineymanSpineyman Destin, FlPosts: 8,248 Admiral
    pond725 said:
    i was wondering about the hookup ratio with single inline hooks. when you you land a fish with a mouth full of treble hooks right next to you on a kayak it makes you be a little more careful.

I just use a rubber coated landing net. The hooks get buried in the bet, and I bring the fish into the front of my kayak. I unhook the fish, remove for a quick photo op and release. Then I remove the lure from the net. This keeps me safely away from flailing trebles!
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• CaptJCaptJ Posts: 999 Officer
    Gets pretty chaotic when you are hooked to a thrashing fish. Been there.
  • polliwogpolliwog Posts: 275 Deckhand
    I'm a big believer in boga grips or their equivalent to keep the hands out of trebles danger.  Been nailed and it's not pleasant.  I like to dehook the fish in the water with the gripper controlling the mouth.  I'm a C& R angler for almost all my fish. Stay safe out there.
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 1,210 Officer
    CaptJ said:
    Gets pretty chaotic when you are hooked to a thrashing fish. Been there.
     Too many close calls with 35"+ snook.....Went to singles and never looked back! I actually believe my boating ratio picked up.They just seem to stay hooked better. JMO
    Jason :USA