Colorado

ForrestgreeneForrestgreene Posts: 48 Greenhorn
Gonna head out Colorado and fish the Arkansas R  just to dip my legs in some cool water for a change.  A buddy works for Arkanglers in Buena Vista/Salida.  Looking at a piece of property to purchase.  Then Back to plant food plots and hope for cooler weather.

Forrestgreene.

Replies

• SpineymanSpineyman Posts: 7,867 Admiral
    Slay em all! Absolutely gorgeous out there!
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• idlerickidlerick Posts: 222 Deckhand
    Hate to bring negative reports, and probably your bud has already told you this, but we're in a severe drought right now. Little snow last winter, hot temps, fires, etc. The Ark is flowing at about 1/3 of normal, and the state DOW is encouraging anglers to sit out the warm part of the day to cause less stress on the fish. Many streams are closed. The Ark is a pretty low (in altitude) stream anyway, so even warmer. Your bud probably knows some alternate places to go, and the scenery will still be nice (if the smoke from the fires isn't bad). Try up in South Park at 10,000 ft where it's a little cooler. 
    Hope you do well, but you won't be seeing the state at its best. At least no Red Tide here!

:)
  • ForrestgreeneForrestgreene Posts: 48 Greenhorn
    10-4 on that.  well aware the water is low.  Part of my reason for going is I'm looking at a piece of property to buy.

He floated the lower Blue last week and says it was great.   fished the lower Blue with him a few years ago.  Put in below the dam.
    WOW!
    If he's able to float that ranch, do it. No place better in the state/country. Tough to access, but a classic trip.

• ForrestgreeneForrestgreene Posts: 48 Greenhorn
    Floated the Arkansas below Salida three days.  200 cfs….very short water, but it fished very good.  fished a foam hopper mostly as a strike indicator as I never had anything take it with  two nymphs below.  #16 zebra midge nymph got 80% of the fish.   The Browns were 12 to 15" and ate nymphs and streamers.  The last float I caught 25 trout including 8 Rainbows 17-18".   Fished Antero Reservoir with a slip indicator and nymph 10 feet down.  Very interesting method.  Got a few rainbows 16 - 17 "   My buddy has 2 apple trees in his back yard and every day when we would get back from our float there were Mule Deer in the yard.  Two Mulie bucks were 4x4's.  They were in velvet until the day I left, then were rubbed clean to bone.  
  • SpineymanSpineyman Posts: 7,867 Admiral
    Looks great!

Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

Sounds like great trip. The rainbows used to be a rarity on the Ark, but coming on better in recent years. You hit some nice ones, but the browns are always something magical for me.
    I fish Antero a lot - yesterday, in fact. The indicator/nymph method in lakes was hard to accept at first - too much sitting and watching, but once I learned it (20 yrs ago now), it became addictive.
    BTW - it works in salt water bays too, for trout on the flats and snook around docks. Just use an appropriately-sized indicator. Great way to suspend a shrimp, crab or minnow pattern at a constant depth while it drifts with the tide.