Skip to main content
Home Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Any shrimp?

yellow angleryellow angler Junior MemberPosts: 7 Deckhand
Has anyone caught any shrimp?

Replies

• Bill DuaneBill Duane Senior Member Posts: 329 Deckhand
  • Stevo1111Stevo1111 Member Posts: 56 Greenhorn
    Only a bunch of reallllly little dinks in Mill Cove. Too small for bait even. Throwing the let every day. Once I see a sign Ill throw a post up. 
  • optimistic Angleroptimistic Angler Senior Member Posts: 631 Officer
    Thank you Stevo1111
  • greencoveGgreencoveG Member GCS, FLPosts: 95 Deckhand
    They have been in and out, no run to speak of, but 3 weeks ago I was catchin 3 and 4 inchers mixed with tiny ones, enough for bait, maybe 50 after about 20 casts.  Now you may get one 3 incher for every 3 casts.  Meaning nothing right now.  In GC anyways.
  • SlackerSlacker Senior Member Homosassa, JaxPosts: 1,815 Captain
    You can get a few bait shrimp in Drs. Lake and at San Marco, 3 or 4 per cast as of 8/29.
    can confirm, I just got back from my dock and caught about 40 in 10 or so casts.  Nice 4-5" bait shrimp for tomorrow!  Also I had a neighbor wanting to see what was up and he was talking about all the ice he buys.  I said why?  He said for the cooler.  Do people still do this?  I just buy a pack of water bottles from walmart every two years and freeze them.  You dont have to buy ice.  I stick about 10 or 15 in the cooler and then just wash them off when im done fishing.  Also I bought a cup holder from auto zone for like 5$ and attatched it to my live well and every few hours I put a water bottle in it to keep the shrimp alive.  Anyways, figured if he didn't know maybe other people didn't either.  Save your cash!
    Took the shrimp out behind the park and kiddo caught his first 21 incher on a zebco 33 ;)  
  • Sea-SquatchSea-Squatch Senior Member Neptune BeachPosts: 2,109 Captain
    Took the shrimp out behind the park and kiddo caught his first 21 incher on a zebco 33 ;)  

Thats a great fish, especially on a Zebco 33! 
    Yup headed to the creeks with him and his brother in 2 weeks, can't wait after I saw your video.  ;)
    Don't know what happened in a couple days, but just caught about 40 shrimp 4-5", in about 10 mins.  Much different then just 2 days ago.  Anyways got bait in the bait farm waiting for wednesday.  Going back tomorrow night for more.  Nice bait shrimp!  Caught them next to the park/pier in GC and baited with cattle pellets.
  • bswivbswiv Senior Member Posts: 8,475 Admiral
    At night?

More information.................
  • Reel MullarkeyReel Mullarkey Senior Member Jupiter, FLPosts: 1,873 Captain
    I'm heading up to St Augustine tomorrow. Does anyone have a report from around the Shands Bridge? I've never shrimped there but I always heard it was the place to be! I've got a buddy with a small boat in that area. Any advice would be great and much appreciated!
    Jonathan Mullarkey's
    SUPERCLEAN SERVICES
    Professional cleaning and restoration since 1999
    CARPETS - UPHOLSTERY - TILE - GROUT - MARBLE - TERRAZZO

CLEAN - POLISH - SEAL - RESTORE - PROTECT
    561-891-1236
    www.steamcleanjupiter.com
  • talldaddytalldaddy Senior Member Posts: 155 Deckhand
    edited September 2018 #14
    Reel Mullarkey, in the daytime there is a ledge on the southeast side of the bridge and another good one on the northwest side.  You can see drop and the shrimp on your depth finder if they are in there thick.  A good reference point to start to get your bearings, on the southside the drop off is about even where the grates on the bridge are and on the north side just head towards deeper water off the old pier that was destroyed in the hurricanes and finding the drop should be easy.  Good luck.  Last night  at the pier on the east side by Weedmans and there were 7 people throwing, catching a few.
    Sorry bswiv, yeah at night, one night i can catch 20 in 10 casts, next night 40 in ten casts.  You have to bait though, there is no "run" to speak of right now.  I'm starting to wonder because usually by now I have 15-20 per cast, right now it is 3 or 4, but they are pretty big for bait shrimp.  I'll go take a pic of what I just caught.  Average size is 3.5-4 inches.  Probably threw the net about 15 times and baited for about 30 mins at 10pm.  Keep watching this thread though, I do this nightly and keep a shrimp "farm" (when im off work) off the dock and I will let you know when the run starts.  It is usually "sudden".  I just have a crab trap wrapped in garden/bird netting.  They stay nice for weeks.  Anyways, let me go take a picture of what is next to the park in GC.
    Reel Mullarkey you aren't catching crap during the day, you have to do it at night and HAVE to bait because there is no run.  Go about 9-11 pm, bait then wait 20-30 mins and throw about 10-15 times and you will have bait.  Just throw off the greencove pier.  I know tides come into play somehow but I always catch more if it is not too long after dark.  I tried at 1am several times and you MIGHT catch 1 shrimp per cast.  I guess they have a bedtime?  LOL
    Just baited for 20 mins and threw 10 casts, for reference.
    This is the average size.
    Thanks for all the info everyone.
    I just moved here and I'm watching and learning.
    I want to go out and try soon. I'd like to Shrimp by boat during the day if we get a good run.
    What bait are y'all using? My amazon fish meal may not be the best thing. 
    My try tonight will be some cans of tuna/ sardeens/ and fishy cat food. 
  • shamlin32shamlin32 Junior Member JacksonvillePosts: 21 Deckhand
    Don't know what happened in a couple days, but just caught about 40 shrimp 4-5", in about 10 mins.  Much different then just 2 days ago.  Anyways got bait in the bait farm waiting for wednesday.  Going back tomorrow night for more.  Nice bait shrimp!  Caught them next to the park/pier in GC and baited with cattle pellets.

Greencoveg: Do you know if the shands pier near weedmans is back open yet?
  • bswivbswiv Senior Member Posts: 8,475 Admiral
    Thank you for clarification. We're gator chasing tomorrow but may give it a go for the fish this weekend when there are just to many folks on the water to mess with the gators.

With what you are reporting we'll try a couple of daytime spots and report back if we go. They look plenty big for bait.
  • osprey11osprey11 Senior Member Posts: 1,460 Officer
    Fish meal with clay or flour.   Mix with just enough water to moisten.   Sometimes salt added helps.   Make a patty not a ball.
  • osprey11osprey11 Senior Member Posts: 1,460 Officer
    Get fish meal from a feed store in bulk.    If not, with the high price paid at local hardware or tackle shop might as well by a pound of Jumbo shrimp for less.
  • jimmy06jimmy06 Senior Member Posts: 1,241 Officer
    They are thick in some spots  of the river
    jimmy06 said:
    They are thick in some spots  of the river
    Wow I'd like to see what a cast net looked like after throwing on that.
    Stevo1111 said:
    What bait are y'all using? My amazon fish meal may not be the best thing. 

Im just using those cattle pellets that ace hardware sells.  I just buy a 50 pound bag, cheaper in the long run.  They are dry, they sink, and do the trick.  I used to make a clay compound but found out this is just a

shamlin32 said:

Greencoveg: Do you know if the shands pier near weedmans is back open yet?

Well, you can walk on it part way, I wouldn't call it open, who knows if they will ever finish it.  
  • Reel MullarkeyReel Mullarkey Senior Member Jupiter, FLPosts: 1,873 Captain
    Thanks for the info guys! I ended up working late and never got the chance to throw the net. Hopefully I'll make it back up there when they really turn on. Tight lines fellas!
    Jonathan Mullarkey's
    SUPERCLEAN SERVICES
    Professional cleaning and restoration since 1999
    CARPETS - UPHOLSTERY - TILE - GROUT - MARBLE - TERRAZZO

CLEAN - POLISH - SEAL - RESTORE - PROTECT
    561-891-1236
    www.steamcleanjupiter.com
    edited September 2018 #30
    I never bait this early off the dock (730pm) but we got food about to go on the grill and I feel like seeing what is out there.  I'll post what is going on.  
    OK so I think the run has just started, or this is a "spurt" maybe but catching double what I was last week and more.  I threw for about 10 mins or so, about 6-8 per cast in between beers.  Threw maybe 10 casts and caught about 60? They are all the same almost same exact size at about 4-4.5".  Last week this would have taken me at least 20-30 casts so big improvement.  Ok will post pics but it is hard to see in the pics how much more is there cuz they group up in the bucket.  Anyways, filled up two floater buckets with 30 shrimp each with about 10 casts, maybe 13 who the hell knows.  I took pics of a couple of casts for reference.  Anyways so glad we got bait to go to the creeks that you dont have to bust your **** for!  Yeehaw!