Estero bay 8/27....SNOOOK!!!!

Still a lingering odor of dead fish at Lovers Key.  So I ran up to Mullock creek....and glad I did....
Caught a few "rat" snook in the 12-20 inch rage....then a fiesty 24 incher.....kept at it....and WHAM!!!!   hit like a freight train.
He ran into the mangroves twice, nothing I could do to stop him.  Pulled him out of the bushes...and out into the bay where the battle continued.....15 min later he gave up.  To date the biggest snook I have ever seen,  let alone had the pleasure of catching and releasing.  I trolled him around for 10 min before releasing, wanted to be sure he was good to go....he was....let go and he rocketed off.
He hit a soft plastic jerk bait on a 3/0 hook.  4000 series reel spooled with 20lb power pro and a 20lb florocarbon leader.
The deck he is lying on is 38 inches from the battery to the drop off behind the metal plate...guesstimate, every bit of 42" and THICK....huge shoulders.  Gave a nod to the fishing gods and headed home.

Replies

• lukkyracerlukkyracer Posts: 648 Officer
    Awesome fish man. Even better you took the time for a good release. Great job!
  • snipes27snipes27 Posts: 99 Greenhorn
    nice lookin snook!! glad to see they are still hangin around in the bay! 
  • AlwaysLearningMoreAlwaysLearningMore Posts: 58 Greenhorn
    Cool fish.  Good to see them around now.  Most likely a "She", not a "He".
  • JW_YakAnglerJW_YakAngler NaplesPosts: 106 Deckhand
    What a beast! Congrats.
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 888 Officer
    Slob snook! Congrats!
    Jason :USA
  • Gypsies CallGypsies Call Posts: 162 Deckhand
    Beautiful!  Well done and on the release too!
    Gypsies Call
    SWO LCDR, USN-Retired
    Sea Chaser 200 Flats Series
    Old Town Predator Kayak
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,607 Moderator
    Great job,  we need those breeders out there.
    larrywitt