Skip to main content
Home Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

ICW 8.25.08

Sea-SquatchSea-Squatch Senior MemberNeptune BeachPosts: 2,109 Captain
Griff and I originally wanted to surf fish, but the conditions were not good. The water was really dirty, and reports from the last couple of days were poor. So we decided to take the boat out in the ICW. When we got to the Beach Blvd. boat ramp, at 1030am, there was no parking (huge surprise!). I had to park my truck/trailer very far away, and had Griff pick me up in the boat. We headed South of the JTB bridge, and fished a well known creek on the right. As we entered the creek, there was a school of finger mullet begging to be netted. We fished the very last of the incoming, but the fish didn't bite until the outgoing. We ended up catching 2 reds, 1 trout, croakers, and cats. We did keep one red, and the trout. We ran across to the other well known creek on the east side of the ICW, but soon left due to a very electric thunder storm nearby.

Anyway, here's the pic of the most golden/red redfish I've ever seen...

Pic doesn't do the color justice, but he tasted good for dinner.

When we got back to the BB ramp, Griff dropped me off at the trailer, and I drove the truck/trailer back to the ramp. I trusted him to bring the boat over, and put it on the trailer. It was his first try, and he did pretty good. Thankfully it wasn't crowded at the time.

Is 11yrs old too young to let trailer a boat?

And, as usual, here's our simple little vid...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73e5iaT90GA&t=184s

- Joey

Replies

• fishingburn10fishingburn10 Jax BeachPosts: 17 Greenhorn
    Very cool!! I enjoy reading your reports! 
  • JmacjjsJmacjjs Junior Member Posts: 24 Deckhand
    Thanks for the report.  That creek does produce some pretty fish.  My daughter and I caught a few similar in color a few weeks back.
  • NBredfishNBredfish Senior Member Posts: 208 Deckhand
    I’ve seen some really dark colored reds come out of Pablo. I always attributed it to the extreme brackish water & tanic fresh water infusion from the head waters near 295.
  • cftsmokecftsmoke JacksonvillePosts: 378 Deckhand
    Great report
    2016 Everglades 325.
  • Sea-SquatchSea-Squatch Senior Member Neptune BeachPosts: 2,109 Captain
    Very cool!! I enjoy reading your reports! 

Thank you!

Jmacjjs said:
    Thanks for the report.  That creek does produce some pretty fish.  My daughter and I caught a few similar in color a few weeks back.

I don't fish that creek often, but it usually produces.

NBredfish said:
    I’ve seen some really dark colored reds come out of Pablo. I always attributed it to the extreme brackish water & tanic fresh water infusion from the head waters near 295.

I had no idea that spring was so far back there. We also caught a small bullhead catfish on that trip.

cftsmoke said:
    Great report

Thanks!
  • Hushmouth CreekHushmouth Creek Member Posts: 81 Greenhorn
    Cabbage Creek on the East Side has the most golden reds I have ever seen. Go all the way back to the small creek that runs up to the small bridge in the Marsh Landing development, if you get out of your boat and look on the other side of that bridge on the incoming, you won't believe what it's possible to see. And then you will see the security guard soon. You can catch of few of them right at the bridge and also on the last 250 yds before the bridge. Just an FYI... 
  • fsu11fsu11 Senior Member JAX BeachPosts: 2,122 Captain
    11 years old is definitly not too young to be trailering the boat. at that age i was beginning to learn both parts grabbing the truck when not crowded at old ramps and putting the boat on trailer. Meanwhile the ramp would not have anyone but maybe one person using it at same time
  • Drift TideDrift Tide Senior Member JacksonvillePosts: 189 Deckhand
    I applaud you for raising the young man up so well, and love your reports.  And I too was similarly actively involved at that young age a very many years ago.  However, in this day and age, I think you are going to get in trouble the first time FWC or Marine Patrol sees an 11-yr old piloting a boat solo, especially at that ramp.  And if he accidently causes some damage solo, your insurance company is likely to balk on coverage.  
  • wjt03cwjt03c Junior Member Posts: 24 Deckhand
    strong work Joe! were you able to squeeze the boat under the bridge? haha
  • fsu11fsu11 Senior Member JAX BeachPosts: 2,122 Captain
    I applaud you for raising the young man up so well, and love your reports.  And I too was similarly actively involved at that young age a very many years ago.  However, in this day and age, I think you are going to get in trouble the first time FWC or Marine Patrol sees an 11-yr old piloting a boat solo, especially at that ramp.  And if he accidently causes some damage solo, your insurance company is likely to balk on coverage.  
    yeah i wouldnt let that age drive boat or truck at beach marine due to how busy it is between boats and safe harbor diners....
  • Sea-SquatchSea-Squatch Senior Member Neptune BeachPosts: 2,109 Captain
    edited August 2018 #12
    Thanks for all of the input!

I definitely would not let him drive the truck...

Thankfully, the day I let him trailer the boat, it was pretty slow at that time, and there was little wind. He didn't have far to captain the boat, and I was there to coach him from the dock. 

Down in the Keys, he impressed me w/ his boat handling skills. When I was in the water scouting for lobster, he ran the boat, and did a fantastic job. He stayed very close to me, and saved new spots on the GPS. He was way better than the wife!
  • PangamanPangaman Senior Member JacksonvillePosts: 911 Officer
    I had my girlfriends 11 year old drive the boat up the river and trailer the boat when I went scalloping. He did great after a short lesson. Much better than my girl friend. She would just freeze up when I tried to coach her from the dock or panic. She crashed into the dock at clutch ahead. Her grandson had to take over for her. I had to drive the truck and trailer up to the rental house on the river and back after scalloping and meet them on arrival.