Ft pierce Snapper

Been a tough snapper season the last 2 months.... Spent many a night and day trying to pin them down getting some here and there nothing to bother reporting.  Finally found them or maybe theyve been there all along and just not eating?  Regardless it was a good night ended up with 20 most 15-17" but 5 were big enough for the box smalllest was 19.5 and had two mid 20" fish not bad for 2.5 hrs.  All ate cut threads on a knocker rig... strangest thing was muttons was ALL I caught... no trash fish, sharks or any other snappers... thats a 1st.
"FISHUNTR"- 2012 20' Pathfinder, Yamaha F150, HDS gen 3 9T

Replies

• blakhawkdocblakhawkdoc Posts: 212 Deckhand
    Nice catch. Thanks for Sharing
  • bigslickbigslick Posts: 132 Deckhand
    Thanks for the report.  Do you mostly fish at night for mutton? And what depth were they holding
  • FISHHUNTRFISHHUNTR Posts: 1,283 Officer
    Mostly yes not always 65ft
  • Reel MusselReel Mussel Posts: 297 Deckhand
    That's some good eating right there...

Greg,

2017 Cape Horn 24OS

• GarysmoGarysmo Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 953 Officer
    Well done.  Congrats
  • CoastalCatchCoastalCatch Lighthouse PointPosts: 507 Officer
    edited August 2018 #7
    Always a pleasure to view your report...good work! 

'The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.' ~ George Orwell

• JEN'S REVENGEJEN'S REVENGE Posts: 661 Officer
    Way to kill em Daren, nice work. PS my boat will be here soon
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks.  Good deal bud looking forward to checking it out
  • lunkermanlunkerman Posts: 147 Deckhand
    Nice man. Bottom has been really tough for me during the day the last few weeks. Crazy current down south here. You always fish out of FPI right?

Capt. Joe Ferranti. Lunker-Man Fishing Adventures llc.
    18' Sailfish 188CC, Yamaha F115, Motorguide Xi5 w/pinpoint gps

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks.  not always but the majority is 
  • Reel MullarkeyReel Mullarkey Posts: 1,869 Captain
    Fishhuntr - Do you have under water lights for night fishing? Do you chum the fish up and free line baits or are you bottom fishing?
    I went out of New Smyrna with a buddy a few weeks ago and we were chumming and freelancing baits for large mangroves. I've never done it like that before but it was definitely working better than bottom fishing. I was just getting bait size snappers off the bottom. I appreciate any advice you can spare on the subject. I want to do more night fishing but I also want to produce vs wasting time...
    Jonathan Mullarkey's
    SUPERCLEAN SERVICES
    Professional cleaning and restoration since 1999
    CARPETS - UPHOLSTERY - TILE - GROUT - MARBLE - TERRAZZO

CLEAN - POLISH - SEAL - RESTORE - PROTECT
    561-891-1236
    www.steamcleanjupiter.com
  • Gary MGary M Posts: 13,193 AG
    Fire up the grill!

Nice job.....
    edited August 2018 #14
    Fishhuntr - Do you have under water lights for night fishing? Do you chum the fish up and free line baits or are you bottom fishing?
    I went out of New Smyrna with a buddy a few weeks ago and we were chumming and freelancing baits for large mangroves. I've never done it like that before but it was definitely working better than bottom fishing. I was just getting bait size snappers off the bottom. I appreciate any advice you can spare on the subject. I want to do more night fishing but I also want to produce vs wasting time...
    No lights.  I went out several times with a friend who has them and ironically we didnt do well... kinda left me wondering if it put them off?
    Ive never fished that way I think thats a daytime thing mostly but I guess it could be done at night, but yes it can be very effective from what I hear. I prefer the nighttime fishing and other than throwing a few freebie chunks I dont chum at all.  Check your PM

Thanks for all the kudos guys
  • BacDocBacDoc Posts: 704 Officer
    Nice work Darren!

Funny how that happens, I had the same problems locating fish probably about the same time frame but I know fish were not there as opposed to not biting. Divers reported barren ledges on the offshore bar in 80' before and after the thermoclines. Screen on my machine showed the same ledges and reef I've been fishing for years and not even marking grunts or trigger fish. Every spot is loaded now ! They are back!

How are you posting pics? Used to be so easy on this forum and I could put pics any where in the text using Photobucket but since that changed I'm reluctant to use another web hosting photo service.
  • CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,440 Officer
    Just copy and paste the photo below your text.

I say......I say son.......new & improved my tail feathers.

• BacDocBacDoc Posts: 704 Officer
    Wow 😲 it’s that simple?
     I give that a try
    Thanks BD.  Maybe we can get back to some level of normalcy

• BarrellBarrell Posts: 1,192 Officer
    Awsome man, I never skip over any of your post. Backdoc and I fish FP inlet a couple times a week. We are daytime guys but want to start trying it out later in the evening . Maybe we can trade a way off shore trip for a nightime trip. We both have a 1000 bottom  spots each.
    Thanks Barrell.  Im down sometime for sure