Offshore Line Choice

mleach82mleach82 Posts: 58 Greenhorn
edited August 2018 in General Fishing #1
Been an inshore fisherman for years and years but after purchasing an offshore boat this year (mainly for diving / spearfishing) i wanted to get a few setups for offshore.

Picked up 2 Penn Squall 30 combos from **** for a steal and just curious about what to spool them with. Inshore i've always run braid with a fluorocarbon leader but clueless for offshore. Braid / Mono? What size would be suitable for a variety of fish?

Plan to use the for grouper, snapper, basically anything out there. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,377 Moderator
    edited August 2018 #2
    Off the top of my head, I'd load them with 30 Momoi Diamond
  • mleach82mleach82 Posts: 58 Greenhorn
    Will mostly be sticking to the gulf out of Hernando / Pasco anywhere from 20-40 miles out. Hard bottom / ledges / rock piles. Plan is for grouper / snapper / etc..
  • piner_wahoopiner_wahoo Posts: 3,325 Captain
    maxcuatro
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's- LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt.Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Charters -LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING,LOBSTER dives, fish the 33' WORLDCAT w/ AOK+Allegiance!
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    BIG WAHOO
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Allegiance-Charters/708182519302079[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 11,337 AG
    To start, I'd spool it with your favorite mono in 30-50lb.
  • FishInFLFishInFL Posts: 2,201 Captain
    Depends on the abrasion resistance needed, ask savemyriver.  He did a bunch of tests by scraping mono/braid against rocks etc.
  • SaveMyRiverSaveMyRiver Posts: 426 Deckhand
    Love color is very important.  I'd use something that will "disappear" along with a mono leader
  • mango mikemango mike Posts: 232 Deckhand
    ande pink 50# or 60# nuff said

• GarysmoGarysmo Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 665 Officer
    I like 30lb mono on my TLD 25s.  I my big spiny g reels I have 40 or 50lb brad.  My vote is 30lb mono
  • Look Out BelowLook Out Below MiccoPosts: 3,816 Moderator
    It's really how you like to fish, I love the feel and use of Braid but others like Mono liking the semi stretch. Braid drops more straight down but loves to eat up anyone that is using mono for twists like no other so it's best to use either or for everyone.
    smilie_dance.gif
  • CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,355 Officer
    General reef fishing with that size reel I would go with 65lb Tuf-Line XP in a braid choice.

Mono choice would be 40 or 50lb  in any of the brands that are made in Portugal or Germany (had good luck with them all)
    Hi-Seas, Ande, Triple-Fish etc.

Mono color choice in order of preference, Pink, Camo, Clear.

I say......I say son.......new & improved my tail feathers.

• acme54321acme54321 Posts: 322 Deckhand
    I've got those same reels and loaded them with 50lb braid + 100' mono top shot. 
    Thanks for the suggestions, think i'm going to start with a 50lb braid and see how it goes.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 4,114 Captain
    mleach82 said:
    Been an inshore fisherman for years and years but after purchasing an offshore boat this year (mainly for diving / spearfishing) i wanted to get a few setups for offshore.

Picked up 2 Penn Squall 30 combos from **** for a steal and just curious about what to spool them with. Inshore i've always run braid with a fluorocarbon leader but clueless for offshore. Braid / Mono? What size would be suitable for a variety of fish?

Plan to use the for grouper, snapper, basically anything out there. Thanks in advance.
    Use the Squalls for light trolling applications with 30lb mono and get a Penn Senator or Daiwa Sealine for your bottom fishing.Used is OK.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,627 Captain
    Sounds like you're just entering the offshore game so somewhat limited gear. I'd spool them with 65# suffix braid for versatility.
    Yeah my first offshore setups ever. Thought about doing one with braid and the other with mono and giving both worlds a try. Can always re-spool one.
  • aquaholic73aquaholic73 St. AugustinePosts: 8 Greenhorn
    you might as well just go ahead and buy you a set of good trolling rods and a set of good bottom rods now because you are going to get hooked and will be buying them anyway.  :smiley:
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 7,984 Moderator
    I like invisible 

"Whatcha doin' in my waters?"