Boca Raton 8/24 report

Headed out of the Boca inlet at around 7am & trolled strip baits on planers north to Boynton Beach. The scattered weed made it difficult to troll. Unfortunately, no striped unicorn hits... Picked up and headed offshore for dolphin. There was a scattered line in about 700 feet of water so we kept running east. We went out approximately 18 - 20 miles out & there was nothing! No weed, no birds, no debris, etc... We decided to head back in to about 900 - 1000 feet of water and found some patches of weed. Chunked for a bit & the dolphin came around. As always, the almaco jacks were hard to avoid. We only had cut bait, squid, & jigs/lures. The dolphin were extremely finicky, but we managed 4 keepers. Then all of sudden, I spotted a 40+ lb bull that decided to join the party. He would not eat anything until I finally got him to take a silver Rat-L-Trap on my smallest spinning rod. I fought him for about 20 minutes from my tower & after several great leaps, he was starting to tire out. At this point, he was starting to just use his weight against me... until... the hook finally pulled & he swam away. Just like that, what would have been a slammer of a lifetime for me was gone... It is going to take a long time for me to get over that fish...

Oh well, it was a great day on the water & I was blessed to have had the opportunity. I guess this means that I need to go back out there and find him when he is 60+ lbs...

Tight lines everyone!
Ed Moore
Broker-Owner
Live South Florida Realty, Inc.
LiveSouthFL.com

*FREE MLS app for your mobile device: Text EDMOORE to 87778 or visit: http://87778.mobi/EDMOORE/

Replies

• Strangegill88Strangegill88 Posts: 215 Deckhand
    Wow Ed, that's too bad. What an awesome sight to see though, I bet he was going airborne city on the light tackle. 

• blakhawkdocblakhawkdoc Posts: 212 Deckhand
    Thanks for the report and the story if the one that got away. 
  • Dustin BoyntonDustin Boynton Boynton beachPosts: 335 Deckhand
    Next time!
  • Plastered2850Plastered2850 Posts: 1,525 Captain
    Thanks for the report,get him next time.
  • CoastalCatchCoastalCatch Lighthouse PointPosts: 369 Deckhand
    It's just always nice to be on the water!   

"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope." ~ John John Buchan

'The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.' ~ George Orwell

• ldavid516ldavid516 Posts: 299 Deckhand
    We've all made that contribution to future anglers !
    A real treat  to watch them from tower elevation.
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,651 Captain
    It happens, nice report, Thanks.