bonita lures

badcastbadcast Posts: 94 Greenhorn
  Whats a good bonita lure...  They sure are tuff to get a hit.  Got 2 on deadly **** yesterday ,but would like to try other lures.   I know a lot people don't fish for them because there no good to eat. But I have great time fishing for them. Only have a small boat cant get out for real tuna

Replies

• Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 919 Officer
    If you see them chasing bait, make a long cast with a small diamond jig and then rip it through the water as fast as you can turn the reel handle. There is no such thing as reeling too fast, and that is the key. A high ratio reel is a help. 
    https://www.cabelas.com/product/Bead-Small-Diamond-Jigs/1666012.uts?productVariantId=1313091&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=BingPLA&WT.z_mc_id1=02902921&rid=20&msclkid=234bd717e02b1a92b00d8c9691276750&ds_rl=1252079&gclid=CKmzl_q9iN0CFcSJxQIdpZcF_Q&gclsrc=ds
    The smallest Hopkins is also good.

I also get a lot of them trolling small slim plugs when fishing for Spanish. Pull ones that are about 3" long, and have mostly a shiny silver finish on the sides. A 00 Clark spoon or a Huntington Drone Spoon is also good. Use a keel sinker when trolling spoons to avoid line twist.

They make great strip baits, so I do bring a few back to cut and save for offshore trips.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
  • albacizedalbacized Posts: 53 Greenhorn
    size 10 'ghost' color rapla x rap

• albacizedalbacized Posts: 53 Greenhorn
    And speaking of the lures we use up north (including the deadly d's that you referenced, as well as epoxy jigs, daddy macs, etc), I don't think they work that well down in SE FL...where they target bigger baits. Bonita/albies over in the gulf and panhandle, they may be a different story since they do target the smaller anchovies, etc on that side....so I guess my prior response depends where you're fishing
  • mikenavmikenav Posts: 715 Officer
    We use anything that shines and is more than 3- or 4-inches long. Spoons, that white Rapala someone posted above, jigs with mylar on them. If you look from the boat and the jig looks like it is 3X as big when it's under the water because of the reflection, you should be good!