New thread about old boats..

capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,937 Moderator
Ok , just pulled my boat out in the yard to fire up the motor and grease the steering.
Got me thinking..  Who here has the oldest boat still currently in use and has owned it longest ? Thinking I got this...

My Sportcraft ,made in Perry Florida, was manufactured in '74.  I bought it used in '79 and am on my 4th motor. It's been all over the state and still floats. That's 39 years of owning and fishing the same vessel !  Her and I have caught a LOT of fish..

Who else ?
"You'll get your weather"

Replies

• Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 1,018 Officer
    I sold my 1956 16' Alumacraft that I had for many years and reworked into an inshore skiff. I had it until 3 years ago and the new owner is still running it.

BEFORE

AFTER

For it's replacement I picked up a 1977 John Dory that was in poor shape and needed a transom replacement and new deck.

BEFORE

AFTER

There's nothing wrong with having an old boat. They still catch fish.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
  • backwatercolebackwatercole Posts: 90 Greenhorn
    Don't have an old boat but am loving that this thread got started.  Can't wait to see what comes up and read some stories!
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,198 AG
    My crab boat is a 1979 Sermons
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    My airboat is a 1969  or 70 grasshopper
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • HARRYDHARRYD Posts: 206 Deckhand
    I thought my 1998 Hurricane was old till I saw these LOL.
  • Rick1-2Rick1-2 HorseshoePosts: 957 Officer
    1988 pro line here
  • VertigoVertigo Yankeetown, FLPosts: 617 Officer
    1971 Aquasport 222.  Sold it and have regretted it ever since.  

• Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,337 Officer
    I use a '74 Astrocraft with a '74 Merc 850 several times a week bass fishing in Lake Lanier, GA.  Here's a partial picture.ere
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,937 Moderator
    Vertigo said:

That was a really sweet rig !

Vertigo said:

I bet you have!
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,282 Officer
    I have a larger boat but still love my old 16 ft  aluminum Lowe. The hull is a 1983 and the 25 hp 1988 Evinrude is on it's second rebuild. 
    Giimoozaabi
    sweet boat, I had one (inboard diesel) for several years..I will by another when I downsize my business in 5 years.
  • spearjunkyspearjunky Posts: 184 Deckhand
    Thanks I will post another pic when it gets done
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    Vertigo said:

That's a pretty boat
    133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,659 Admiral
    edited August 2018 #18
    Well I just sold my old Cobia last year, she was a 1971  19' open fisherman, I rebuilt it twice, learned from my mistakes the first time I did it but it actually had been rebuilt when I got it in about 1984 or so. It had a 1973 Evinrude 135 that had been sitting for at least 2 years. Pulled the spark plugs put a new battery on it shot some WD-40 into the cylinders cranked it over a few times hooked up a can of fresh gash and she fired right up. Used that motor for many years, then got a '79 Johnson 135 and had that for a few years then got a brand new Mercury 135 optimax which is still on the boat. 

For only a 19' boat one of the dryest boats I have ever been on, It took me a long time but I finally put some tabs on it and it made a huge difference in the ride. Sharp bow, flat bottom would pound the snot out of you, tabs keep the bow down and it rode like a dream, totally regret not putting them on years ago.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • APEAPE Posts: 973 Officer
    I have a 1969 24 foot Proline that was redone back in 2009, it needs a new engine and trailer to be sea worthy again but the hull it's self if great.
    APE said:
    I have a 1969 24 foot Proline that was redone back in 2009, it needs a new engine and trailer to be sea worthy again but the hull it's self if great.
    don't sell it!
  • greencoveGgreencoveG Posts: 95 Greenhorn
    1985 stumpknocker with 1985 evinrude
  • spearjunkyspearjunky Posts: 184 Deckhand
    i put a 30hp on a stumpknocker like that and it was scary
  • Wishin i was fishinWishin i was fishin Dunnellon FlPosts: 930 Officer
    I’ve had my seapro about 10 yrs. Bought it in 07 or 08, it’s an 03. Guess it a baby compared to some of these boats. 
    Winning..  :p
  • finbullyfinbully Posts: 636 Officer
    Nice boats and nice work keeping them on the water!
  • greencoveGgreencoveG Posts: 95 Greenhorn
    i put a 30hp on a stumpknocker like that and it was scary

Ya that is a 15hp and with tackle livewell full, cooler full, and two people it does 23mph.  I can't imagine a 30 either on a small flat bottom.
    I had a 25 on a flat bottom aluminum 1460 jon boat. Scary fast..

• surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,659 Admiral
    My 1448 has a Yamaha 4s 20 hp, it does about 26 mph. I wouldn't exactly call that crazy fast, just right for me. The boat is rated for a 35 which is a little crazy.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • EnyarEnyar Posts: 97 Greenhorn
    1961 Boston Whaler 13' still going strong! Also in the house are an '81 15' whaler, '82 Beneteau First and an '87 Mid Ocean. Old boats rock!
    didn't do pics on 1st post but top is 79 Sermons and bottom is 69 Grasshopper
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 4,963 Captain
    In 1970 my dad built me a 12 ft scaled down version of SK flat bottom race boat out of wood. The ones with the monster motor and the headers over the transom. His buddy was a fiberglass boat guru and fiberglass it like a mirror. It looked amazing. Had a 10 hp which was a dog.

I talked him into a bigger motor and he came home with a 50 hp Merc. Scary fast and no control because it did not have a skeg like the race boats did. Needed tabs as well. It would have been amazing with those two features. Sold it before getting it right. Jet black, Donzie bucket seats. Looked amazing. My dad built it from scratch, no plans. No idea how he got those sleek race boat lines.