Ideas, info needed to continue fishing

Morning: as everyone knows, I'm relatively new to fishing in the Nature Coast, however this past 2 months have been a test of wills and stamina. As Doc once stated "getting old is not for sissies." Anyway, I again tore 2 tendons (which were repaired last year) in my shoulder and this past Sunday had a massive DVT (again) in my right leg but didn't cause a PE like last time. I'm now on Blood thinners for life. I was wondering if anyone knows about fishing while taking thinners while fishing offshore/inshore and how to go about doing it. I was told I can't subject myself to falls or getting hurt/cut etc. I was also wondering maybe trading my boat in for a bay boat where it won't be rough to cause falls. Any ideas would be great. Thanks All. 

Replies

• barhopper51barhopper51 Posts: 555 Officer
    I've been on blood thinners since 2001 due to a metal heart valve replacement. My cardiologist has me on the thin side (3.5) and I worked as a mechanic for 9 more years before an auto wreck put me on disability. Smashed, cut, banged and burned myself and still kept on. Now I'm waiting on a heart replacement but I have no intention of quitting fishing. Offshore or nearshore. Pick your days to go offshore but thinners should not control your life. Just be careful.
  • mburke001 aka TripleBmburke001 aka TripleB Posts: 1,210 Officer
    Thank you Barhopper, and I hope everything goes well with you
  • Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 919 Officer
    edited August 2018 #4
    In my boat's "Ditch Bag"  is a separate first aid kit to which i have added Wound Seal. Originally developed for the military and it works great. Most drug stores now have it, or it can be ordered over the internet. Four tubes come per pack, and only costs a few dollars. I also keep some in my truck and at home.

https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/woundseal-powder-to-stop-bleeding/ID=prod6099456-product?ext=gooKBM_PLA_-_Health_Care&pla&adtype=pla&kpid=sku6088908&sst=4db8bf19-4ea8-4e1d-b972-718382a530ef

Read the reviews at the bottom of the website.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 1,882 Captain
    Hate to hear about your shoulder, you just got it back! Had the DVT, but mine seems to be ok, but you never know. I wear those socks to help. If on blood thinner, you have to be extra careful. I try not to squat much  when fishing. Not sure changing boats is a help. My bay boat beats me up all the time. You fished on mine, but it was a nice day. Some days it can be a bear. I like fishing to much to give it up, so if you are like me, you try to work around all the curves you get. Good Luck. Get well, shallow water trolling season is right around the corner. 
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    In my boat's "Ditch Bag"  is a separate first aid kit to which i have added Wound Seal. Originally developed for the military and it works great. Most drug stores now have it, or it can be ordered over the internet. Four tubes come per pack, and only costs a few dollars. I also keep some in my truck and at home.

https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/woundseal-powder-to-stop-bleeding/ID=prod6099456-product?ext=gooKBM_PLA_-_Health_Care&pla&adtype=pla&kpid=sku6088908&sst=4db8bf19-4ea8-4e1d-b972-718382a530ef

Ill add that to my first aid kit, appreciate the info. Thanks.
    Tom, thanks, yep I'm not giving up fishing, I had been using the socks while traveling due to my previous clot. I also wasn't sure if I should just try inshore with a different boat, but I don't mind going out with some chop, my boat handles it pretty smooth. As Barhopper said, pick my days to go offshore. Thanks
  • HARRYDHARRYD Posts: 201 Deckhand

That stuff sounds like a must have for boat and house. Has anyone used it? If so, any ill effects ?  I have always uses talc powder but will give this a try. Thanks for the info.