Florida Toxic Water Petiton

FroglizaFrogliza Posts: 27 Greenhorn
edited August 2018 in General Fishing #1
This is a petition to the US government regarding the toxic water along Florida's gulf coast. If 100,000 people sign it within 30 days, the white house is forced to look at it and respond to it. Record numbers of dolphins, manatees, sea turtles, and of course fish are dying because of this.

LINK: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/help-save-florida-toxic-water-polluting-floridas-ecosystem-joogsquad

Replies

• pottydocpottydoc The thriving metropolis of Umatilla Posts: 2,726 Captain
    Respond to it means a low level staffer reads it and sends out a prettily worded report saying nothing. 
  • FroglizaFrogliza Posts: 27 Greenhorn
    pottydoc said:
    Respond to it means a low level staffer reads it and sends out a prettily worded report saying nothing. 
    Who knows. Better than nothing right?
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 6,030 Admiral
    What are the While House's stated Goals to relieve the problem..A Statement...
    How about No Fertilizers sold in South Florida ever again ,All homes on Canals must be on City Sewer or they get bulldozed and turned into local Parks. How about every home at Natural Grade is torn down and wetlands restored to the original Sheet flow.
    Let's put that in a Statement and I'll sign it..
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 19,331 AG
    edited August 2018 #5
    I don't want to pee on your pizza...but the Fed Gov't does not care....they are eyeballs deep in Russians and p0rn stars.....
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 6,204 Admiral
    The EPA will get right on this

rick perry GIF
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 9,288 Admiral
    we just need a Cat 5 storm to level Orlando..
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • pottydocpottydoc The thriving metropolis of Umatilla Posts: 2,726 Captain
    Frogliza said:
    pottydoc said:
    Actually, no it isn’t. It’s probably the 100th or so petition they’ve gotten over the last 10 years or so. This is a local battle. And there’s way more issues than buying out big sugar.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 11,332 AG
    edited August 2018 #9
    At the risk of becoming political, I have no confidence the white house will do anything about this.   Playable golf courses, well maintained commercial properties, functional septic tanks, and green lawns make for a powerful status quo at the national and state levels.  If something is going to be done, it's because voters demand it, and they don't yet in great enough numbers.
    Thanks for the heads up, Frog.  I wish the answer was to be found in signing a petition...clicking the petition and scrolling down that page at the other issues listed was worth the look (and a chuckle).
    Take care...Mike
    pottydoc said:
    Frogliza said:
    pottydoc said:
    Actually, no it isn’t. It’s probably the 100th or so petition they’ve gotten over the last 10 years or so. This is a local battle. And there’s way more issues than buying out big sugar.
    You said it isn't better than nothing but didn't state why it isn't, because 100th petition or not, this year has been the worst year on Florida's gulf coast ever.
  • TrevfishinTrevfishin Posts: 587 Officer
    Don’t get me wrong, I signed it, but unfortunately the impeachment of the President for his paid female companionship might over shadow Red Tide...might, just maybe
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 6,204 Admiral
    edited August 2018 #12
    Don’t get me wrong, I signed it, but unfortunately the impeachment of the President for his paid female companionship might over shadow Red Tide...might, just maybe

• cortrcortr Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    This should not be political. Everybody better wake up and realize that the future of Florida's economy and ecosystems are reaching a point that it might be too late to fix.  
    It is amazing that Gov. Scott does not realize this from an economic standpoint. 
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 6,030 Admiral
    He realizes it...just nothing short of Pollical suicide to accomplish any of it..
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • PROFINITYPROFINITY Posts: 203 Deckhand
    Forget petitions and all that BS. It is past time we unite and litigate! Money is the only language anyone understands. Damages include, however, are not limited to:

1. Loss of use. I don’t fish because the water is toxic. I don’t go to the beach because the water is toxic. I don’t paddleboard because the water is toxic.
    2. Loss of property value.
    3. Decline in rate of appreciation of real estate.

Defendants will be the Federal government, Army Corps of Engineers, State of Florida, Ciry of Orlando, Walt Disney World, Agriculture and Industry where applicable. Other municipalities. More to follow upon discovery.

I encourage everyone, no matter if you live on the water or not, to appeal your real estate taxes. Once again, money is THE ONLY LANGUAGE/THING GOVERNMENT UNDERSTANDS. The reason for appeal is the first three things listed in this post.
  • outboardsurplusoutboardsurplus Posts: 117 Deckhand
    The only way any thing might get done if people start to stop fishing and the tourist stop coming to Florida,that is the only way they may start to do some thing,hit them in the wallet.If you think that **** Scott is going to do any thing,that would be the best joke I have heard in a long time,he needs to be in prison!!
    The only way any thing might get done if people start to stop fishing and the tourist stop coming to Florida,that is the only way they may start to do some thing,hit them in the wallet.If you think that **** Scott is going to do any thing,that would be the best joke I have heard in a long time,he needs to be in prison!!
    Why stop fishing? Maybe we need to teach people how important catch and release is and how to properly handle the fish they catch. I don't know if it's worth spending money for but maybe more FWC officers to monitor popular land based fishing areas of saltwater
    I agree with outboards in principal, however, stopping fishing I don’t see as viable response to obtain the desired effect. Money is the only thing these corrupt SOB’s understand. I use the word corrupt, because, they talk a lot and do nothing as is evidenced with the current state of our waters. I realize there is some initiative to do something like build a containment area and to process water, so I have heard. The only viable solution seems to be to restore the flow as it once was. I am not sure this will solve the entire problem given the population growth, however, not discharging lake water east and west will undoubtedly resolve or significantly resolve issues like we have at then present time. It could be the, “problem”, gets transferred to another region of the state however. Something constructive needs to be done other than talk. The problem is known. Addressing the problem is the issue. 
  • LostconchLostconch Posts: 214 Deckhand
    edited August 2018 #19
    I agree wholeheartedly.  The talking heads only talk about lost tourist dollars.  They give very little airtime to the impact this has on those of us who live here.  I am very reluctant to give up fishing but it is looking like it is now or later
  • OldredsledOldredsled Posts: 189 Deckhand
    this will all blow over .. soon the internet and Facebook will be filled with posts about some random judge , somewhere in the USA trying to ban sales of bazookas .. the internet will explode and every fisherman will forget all about big sugar... 

let eh great distraction campaign begin .. 4..3..2..1 --> LOOK SQUIRRELS 
    the internet will explode and every fisherman will forget all about big sugar... 

I've already forgotten about big sugar....because if you actually look deep into it and not get your talking points from facebook....you already know they are not the root of the issue... 
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    Joe, these yahoos can't even stay on topic for over 3 posts :D
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    Frogliza said:
    Why stop fishing? Maybe we need to teach people how important catch and release is and how to properly handle the fish they catch. I don't know if it's worth spending money for but maybe more FWC officers to monitor popular land based fishing areas of saltwater
    and that's going to help clean up lake O how?
    duckmanJR said:
    the internet will explode and every fisherman will forget all about big sugar... 

I've already forgotten about big sugar....because if you actually look deep into it and not get your talking points from facebook....you already know they are not the root of the issue... 
    Not exactly true. Big sugar (Fanjuls) farm land is where the water should be flowing south through the Everglades. The fact they operate where they are is a huge problem. At times, they also pump water from their fields into Lake O. The pollution in large part is coming from north of the lake from the likes of Orlando, Disney, run-off from farms, etc.

This is an environmental disaster that has different contributing components and it’s long past time to look at it this way. If this was a corporation doing the polluting the government would be fining them and taking them to court. This is a government caused problem.
    PROFINITY said:
    duckmanJR said:

Not exactly true. Big sugar (Fanjuls) farm land is where the water should be flowing south through the Everglades. The fact they operate where they are is a huge problem. At times, they also pump water from their fields into Lake O. The pollution in large part is coming from north of the lake from the likes of Orlando, Disney, run-off from farms, etc.

This is an environmental disaster that has different contributing components and it’s long past time to look at it this way. If this was a corporation doing the polluting the government would be fining them and taking them to court. This is a government caused problem.
    and thru densely populated ares that USED to be part of the Glades.
  • permit_mepermit_me Posts: 923 Officer
    How about No Fertilizers sold in South Florida ever again ,All homes on Canals must be on City Sewer or they get bulldozed and turned into local Parks. How about every home at Natural Grade is torn down and wetlands restored to the original Sheet flow.
    pretty much sums it up. however FLoridians need to make an oath not to use fertilizers (esp in those deed restricted communities that require every brown spot be green or else....). Perhaps fertilizers would require a permit for Ag (incl Golf course) use. 
    And those of us on septic, be willing to pay for the conversion to sewage (might be a rough one if your zip is bumphuck nowhere and/or your county is poor). Counties would have to build more wastewater facilites. That way usage could be monitored. Wastewater facilities would need to be upgraded and no releasing partially or untreated sewage.

The way I see it, until the flow of tourist and incoming, new residents slow or steven stop, then the $$$ will talk. Maybe that means a neverending cycle of sludge and toxic blooms persisting until total collapse of one or more ecosystems (eg. Everglades, IR and IRL, CHarlotte Harbor, Tampa bay, Appilachicola bay, etc...). That is the real politics of the situation as we see now.
  • outboardsurplusoutboardsurplus Posts: 117 Deckhand
    Just to straighten my comment about not fishing was meant to hurt the BIG PEOPLE in their pocket by not buying a fishing permit,they make a ton of money off us paying to fish!!
    permit_me said:
    pretty much sums it up. however FLoridians need to make an oath not to use fertilizers (esp in those deed restricted communities that require every brown spot be green or else....). Perhaps fertilizers would require a permit for Ag (incl Golf course) use. 
    And those of us on septic, be willing to pay for the conversion to sewage (might be a rough one if your zip is bumphuck nowhere and/or your county is poor). Counties would have to build more wastewater facilites. That way usage could be monitored. Wastewater facilities would need to be upgraded and no releasing partially or untreated sewage.

The way I see it, until the flow of tourist and incoming, new residents slow or steven stop, then the $$$ will talk. Maybe that means a neverending cycle of sludge and toxic blooms persisting until total collapse of one or more ecosystems (eg. Everglades, IR and IRL, CHarlotte Harbor, Tampa bay, Appilachicola bay, etc...). That is the real politics of the situation as we see now.
    I agree on the fertilizer "ban." I don't know about other places but in Venice, Fl, they have recently installed drainage pipes on the beach directly from the streets. So all of the fertilizers washed onto the road from rain and the oil spills from vehicles is dumped straight into the ocean. 
    edited August 2018 #29
    PROFINITY said:
    duckmanJR said:

That ship has already sailed...water is not going to "flow" thru the EAA....*SUBSIDENCE*...read up on that.
    They have been farming the glades way too long for that toothpaste to go back in the tube.

Backpumped water does not get to the lake...since big sugar is south and east of the lake natural hydrology takes it south...not north. And it only happens if there is a "rain event"....and in that case...more $hi+ water is coming from so many more places as to make that a moot point.

You are correct...the problem starts way north of the lake....
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • LostconchLostconch Posts: 214 Deckhand
    While I agree that the bigagriculture  genie is out of the bottle, the 2nd big probelm is the ever increasing population is something that can be somewhat controled. First and foremost is lawn fertilizer.  The best way to deal with it and I hate this idea to regulate when fertilizer can be sold there fore some what controling when it ia applied. This needs to be done in all of Florida to help stop this from bevoming a statewide probelm.

If the toothpaste is not put back into the tube, then what do folks think is going to happen? I comprehend this is an arduous task. What will happen is property values will decline and Florida will have a reputation for being a toxic dump state. When revenue is not enough to satisfy turning the government crank, state income taxes will be introduced.

I am not arguing with anyone here, however, if people do not change their attitude and instead surrender to this problem, this state is in serious trouble more than it is at the present time.

One friend of mine who lives here in Stuart just told me yesterday that they are most likely selling their house and moving out west. He said he is not going to wait for his property value to be destroyed. He does not want to fish in these waters anymore because of the pollution. They don't go to the beach anymore because of the pollution. No more water sports because of the pollution. This attitude is going to get legs if this problem continues and we all know it is only getting worse because of the increase in population.

I used to fish a lot, almost everyday. I have not fished inside in months because of the pollution/toxic water. Beaches are being closed. Fish and other marine life are dying.This problem has greater ramifications than many people realize. I am already suffering damages for being unable to use my natural resources. Instead of people saying this or that won't work, how about actually trying to do something. Defeatist attitude is falling on your own sword.