Pole tips

AltonAlton St AugustinePosts: 54 Greenhorn
I use braided line to troll with any suggestions on rods tips that I can use. The grade has cut grooves into the current rod tip and looking to replace all four and want to use proper tips. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Replies

• XafXaf Posts: 978 Officer
    Do you know what type rod tip you have currently?

You could go with a roller tip.

• AltonAlton St AugustinePosts: 54 Greenhorn
    It is not a roller tip. It's on a Shakespeare is all I know. I was just wondering if there was a certain tip that was recommended for use of braid when trolling. Being that the braid is smaller in diameter it seems like same amount of pressure being placed over a smaller area would cause problems? Figured you guys would have suggestions
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,941 Captain
    edited August 23 #4
    First - what type of rod are you using... if it's a spinning rod you're stuck with the guides you have (but there is an up-grade..).  If you're using conventional rods (with the reel on top...) then roller guides are the way to go...

For spinning rods you'll be wanting an SIC top (that's a tip top but quite a bit more expensive since it comes with a silicon carbide insert and that material is much harder than the usual aluminum oxide inserts that most rods come with these days...  you can also buy one that's simply a lot heavier than what you currently have along with that SIC insert..).  Stop by any tackle shop that does a lot of rod repair work - better yet a rod building shop or a tackle shop that builds and sells their own rods since they'll certainly have them.  You have to go to a shop since otherwise you won't know what size top you need (and any shop can mount a tip top in just a moment or two..). Even if they don't have what you need they should be able to tell you what size top you need - then, if necessary you can order one from a catalog outfit.. 

Good luck and post up what you come up with... Call me if you have questions and I'll talk you through it...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,193 Officer
    allamericanrollerguides.com makes a roller tip top for spinning rods.  
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,941 Captain
    cool... I'll have to look them up and see what they've got... I rarely get this kind of request but it will be nice to know they're available... 
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666