How to Make Free Ice at Home

offshoreofficeoffshoreoffice Posts: 37 Greenhorn

How to make ice at home for free without an ice machine.

Rubber Bucket - https://amzn.to/2o1Jsde

How to Video - https://youtu.be/QKvbiS2XyhI

Replies

• SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,976 Captain
    Pretty cool, Any idea what kind of hammer that was?
    You should have been here yesterday
  • backwatercolebackwatercole Posts: 67 Greenhorn
    Looked like just a regular rubber mallet
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 2,976 Captain
    Looked like just a regular rubber mallet
    That’s what it looked like to me, didn’t realize they would break up a block of ice
    You should have been here yesterday
  • offshoreofficeoffshoreoffice Posts: 37 Greenhorn
    Pretty cool, Any idea what kind of hammer that was?
    It was a rubber mallet type hammer. A regular hammer would probably work as well.
  • tijeretatijereta Posts: 222 Deckhand
    What prevents the ice contents to come out in a big chunk when you hit it with the hammer, do you use an ice pick first ?
  • offshoreofficeoffshoreoffice Posts: 37 Greenhorn
    It can be used as a big block, chunks or you can break it up with an ice pick or hammer and end up with shaved ice. 
  • wally910wally910 Posts: 235 Deckhand
    I’ve always used milk jugs and just hacked them up with a thick bladed machete
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,377 Moderator
    It's not "free"  It takes electricity  to freeze it.
  • Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 510 Officer
    It's not "free"  It takes electricity  to freeze it.
    Quiet Jack, don't ruin the fantasy!
  • DfreedomDfreedom Posts: 106 Deckhand
    Milk jugs or empty plastic ice cream containers are what I use.  Still large "cubes" but easier to handle and don't take up as much room.  Plus I own those when I eat/drink the contants.
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,377 Moderator
    ThiThs is what I use

• AC ManAC Man Posts: 4,388 Captain
    That's ridiculous. If that's all you need just buy a bag at the 7-Eleven with your beer and sandwich. If you fish off shore at least when I did I carry three to five hundred pounds of ice. You must have an ice machine, not to mention all the other benefits an ice machine gives you. 300 lb machine with the bin of your choice preferably 3 to 500 lb is great. If you are fishing on a flats boat or a bay boat you only need about 40 lb of ice there are plenty of vending ice machines on the side of the road for next to nothing beats the hell out of going to the trouble of chopping up a bucket of Frozen water with a hammer.

I have a 300 lb machine at my office. I dont even bother using it in my bay boat. However, three hundred pounds offshore in a 36 CC  is bare minimum.
  • piner_wahoopiner_wahoo Posts: 3,325 Captain
    it's called hoshizaki
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's- LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt.Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Charters -LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING,LOBSTER dives, fish the 33' WORLDCAT w/ AOK+Allegiance!
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    BIG WAHOO
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Allegiance-Charters/708182519302079[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,240 Officer
    i make 20 lb blocks in rectangular plastic bins  that i purchase at the Bin Store . These bins come with lids. i stack them on top of each other. When its time to pop out the blocks a little hose water on the bin frees up the block. Then i move the blocks into the boat's cooler the night before a trip. The blocks barely melt during the night..
    I don't chop up the blocks until i catch a few fish. Then i use a ice pick and place the fish under the chopped up ice. i don't need more then 40 lbs on my small cat.
    Giimoozaabi
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,633 Captain
    I use 2 liter drink bottles.
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 9,229 Admiral
    I've used zip lock freezer bags, just have to set them in something, if they are on a metal rack the water will freeze around the rack.   I've used gallon milk jugs.   
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • PicmanPicman Posts: 102 Deckhand
    Shoe boxes from dollar store..
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 9,229 Admiral
    Picman said:
    Shoe boxes from dollar store..
    What do you do line it with plastic wrap? 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • PicmanPicman Posts: 102 Deckhand
    Plastic shoe boxes