I may be the first to ask this...

zachfairclothzachfaircloth GainesvillePosts: 11 Greenhorn
But I'm looking for place to catch mudfish! Or bowfin, or dogfish, or grinnel, or chopique... whatever they're called down here. I just moved from SC to Gainesville for grad school and based on what I know about mudfish, most of florida must be a haven for them. If yall dont mind telling me where they're a "problem," I'll gladly go help solve it lol I know mudfish holes are a precious secret that some may not want to part with...

Like I said, I am in Gainesville but more than willing to travel. They're my favorite fish to target, I guess because I'm an idiot, and I'd love to get on some!

Replies

• JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 1,287 Officer
    You’re right down the road from the mud fish mecca know as Newnans lake. 
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
  • tankardtankard Posts: 6,423 Admiral
    You’re right down the road from the mud fish mecca know as Newnans lake. 

This.
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 22,949 AG
    edited August 15 #4
    This for sport or you making those mythical mud fish balls?

133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg
  • zachfairclothzachfaircloth GainesvillePosts: 11 Greenhorn
    Cyclist said:
    This for sport or you making those mythical mud fish balls?

I wish! I'm actually allergic to fish and cant eat any at all. I like mudfish because they were the best fight in the river where I lived and since I'm allergic the taste of the fish I catch makes no difference to me. however, if someone does like to eat them I'm always happy to give them up so that someone else can cook  
  • mikenavmikenav Posts: 666 Officer
    Since you'er willing to drive (and you say mudfish is the best fight you've had), you might want to head a little south and see if you can get into a snook or tarpon! Or even a decent-sized mangrove snapper. 
  • no slackno slack Posts: 287 Deckhand
    So does anyone really eat mudfish?  They may be great I just never heard of anyone eating them.  
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,457 Moderator
    no slack said:
    So does anyone really eat mudfish?  They may be great I just never heard of anyone eating them.  
    I've heard of it but never tried it myself. Only one I seen filleted the meat looked a bit yellow. Like some catfish do ?

Back to the original post, how do you like to fish for them ?  In the Suwannee they will find a piece of cutbait pretty quick..
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,193 Officer
    I catch most of mine on a spinnerbait in the rivers.  Bring several with you because they have a tendency to destroy one.
  • zachfairclothzachfaircloth GainesvillePosts: 11 Greenhorn
    no slack said:
    I've heard of it but never tried it myself. Only one I seen filleted the meat looked a bit yellow. Like some catfish do ?

Back to the original post, how do you like to fish for them ?  In the Suwannee they will find a piece of cutbait pretty quick..
    Captain louie I usually use plastic swimbaits in areas where I know them to be prevalent. I'm open to using cutbait too, but I'm usually fishing from the bank so swimbaits give me some flexibility
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,457 Moderator
    If there is current they will hunt down fresh cutbait like a shark.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,184 Officer

Believe it or not in the infancy of the world renowned Miami Metropolitan Fishing Tourney (1950’s?) mudfish were an eligible species. They were called bowfins and apparently since they readily took artificial lures they were included with more respectable freshwater game fish like bass and pickerel. They would probably be game fish today if they were good eating.

Giimoozaabi