Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

love fishing stuart hate the price of bait

Ok I live real close to tampa and love coming to stuart to fish, first time was like three weeks ago, had fun and caught fish...besides beating the sharks off of the fish i caught....but dang....i bought three dozen threadfins and that was 75 dollars...is that really the going price? Can I catch my own, over in tampa we go to the skyway bridge throw a couple of times and black out the livewell, please help so I dont have to take a loan out for bait!!!!
2018 shearwater 27

Replies

• Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,947 Captain
    That's like $2 each live. Not too bad. I'm sure you could catch them yourself bc the bait boats sell them down there
  • Salty4LifeSalty4Life Posts: 29 Greenhorn
    Come down to palm beach, $50 a dozen
  • greg123168greg123168 Posts: 287 Deckhand
    Come down to palm beach, $50 a dozen
    wow thats crazy...if i wanna buy some in tampa...its 25 a big scoop...whch is like 50 of them in a scoop
    2018 shearwater 27
  • ShoelessShoeless Posts: 2,110 Captain
    Plenty of bait offshore to catch.  The only time I buy bait is if I don’t want to spend the time catching it or it’s difficult to find.  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Shoeless said:
    Plenty of bait offshore to catch.  The only time I buy bait is if I don’t want to spend the time catching it or it’s difficult to find.  
    so do you guys throw a net or sabiki the bait up and is it right off the shore...or is it inshore?
    2018 shearwater 27
  • SnookMan772SnookMan772 Posts: 661 Officer
    The bait on the West Coast is nothing like the East. Stuart is a deal compared to Jup and Palm Beach.
  • Conchy CritterConchy Critter Posts: 2,304 Captain
    Ok I live real close to tampa and love coming to stuart to fish, first time was like three weeks ago, had fun and caught fish...besides beating the sharks off of the fish i caught....but dang....i bought three dozen threadfins and that was 75 dollars...is that really the going price? Can I catch my own, over in tampa we go to the skyway bridge throw a couple of times and black out the livewell, please help so I dont have to take a loan out for bait!!!!
    Wish I could buy them that cheap here in Boynton and I wouldn't mess with catching them.
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,465 Admiral
    I watched a fishing show they were close to Miami somewhere.  They bought live ballyhoo they were $100 dz.
  • Conchy CritterConchy Critter Posts: 2,304 Captain
    stc1993 said:
    I watched a fishing show they were close to Miami somewhere.  They bought live ballyhoo they were $100 dz.
    Not unusual for goggle eye IF there is a Tournament going on. I've seen them as high as $150 if someone doesn't have a relationship with the bait guy. 
  • jensenjeff1955jensenjeff1955 Posts: 94 Deckhand
    Get some sabiki rigs and head out to the sand pile (about 2 miles due east) or down to the bull shark barge (about 2 miles sse) you should see a mess of boats that might remind of what you'd see at the Coast Guard hole at Boca Grande during peak Tarpon season. Watch for a min. or two where the baits moves to and load up.
  • Flight RiskFlight Risk Posts: 2,491 Captain
    The bait on the West Coast is nothing like the East. Stuart is a deal compared to Jup and Palm Beach.
    That's the absolute Truth!
    I've fished out of Stuart inlet a lot of times.  Bait is 'almost' always available to catch there.
    1.  The Sandpile  (often holds  Sardines, Threadfins, Runners, etc.)
    2.  Bullshark Barge   "   "
    3.  Evans Crary         "  "
    4.  Shrimpers wreck  "  "
    5.  Mouth of Inlet      "   "
    6.  Mullet (by the .10 cent bridge) in season
    7. Along the beach (north)

***   Size 4 - 8 Sabiki both red and green.

I live in West Palm.  Bait is hard to get much of the time - even for the commercial bait guys...
    Gogs are available usually before dawn off all the inlets... along with Blue Runners.  (12-14 size Sabiki)
    Mullet sometimes around Peanut Island area
    Ballyhoo on the Reef way south down around Hillsboro, Boca, Delray beach... (and Haulover, south)

Yeah... Stuart has easy bait to catch  imho, compared to other places.
    You should not have to 'buy' bait.

Pura Vida!
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,465 Admiral
    stc1993 said:
    Not unusual for goggle eye IF there is a Tournament going on. I've seen them as high as $150 if someone doesn't have a relationship with the bait guy. 
    That's what they were I said the the wrong kind.
    Thanks everyone for the help, this east coast thing is for sure different than our west coast, but with all the red tide on our side i am trying your side...so far its been a blast...i will be sabiking this sunday....so you dont have to put anything on the small hooks...back in the day I used to put the smallest piece of squid on them.
    2018 shearwater 27
  • CoastalCatchCoastalCatch Lighthouse PointPosts: 515 Officer
    I love fishing but hate the price of ice, gas, parking, insurance, etc.  :)

'The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.' ~ George Orwell

• joekat46joekat46 North PortPosts: 2,516 Captain
    Thanks everyone for the help, this east coast thing is for sure different than our west coast, but with all the red tide on our side i am trying your side...so far its been a blast...i will be sabiking this sunday....so you dont have to put anything on the small hooks...back in the day I used to put the smallest piece of squid on them.
    We are doing the same thing coming over to either Jupiter or LWI from Sarasota County.  Have a friend in St. Lucie County so it is EZPZ since we can spend the night before there and get a good early start in the morning.  Bought bait on 8/10 from a guy in Jupiter.  Prices were competitive from what I see on this thread.  Just the way it is.  Sharks are the wild card since half of what we hook never makes it to the boat.  Never that much of a problem in the S/W although cudas do like Spanish Macs at times.  
    joekat46 said:
    We are doing the same thing coming over to either Jupiter or LWI from Sarasota County.  Have a friend in St. Lucie County so it is EZPZ since we can spend the night before there and get a good early start in the morning.  Bought bait on 8/10 from a guy in Jupiter.  Prices were competitive from what I see on this thread.  Just the way it is.  Sharks are the wild card since half of what we hook never makes it to the boat.  Never that much of a problem in the S/W although cudas do like Spanish Macs at times.  
    well good luck
    2018 shearwater 27
  • Pro-Fish-N-AllPro-Fish-N-All Posts: 12 Greenhorn
    Greg, I usually pay $1 a bait, unless it is around a tournament. Like Shoeless stated I only buy bait when I don't feel like trying to catch it or it is hard to find. As far as tipping it, I wouldn't worry about it as long as there is a lot of bait around. But if they aren't biting then you can try to tip your hooks.
    edited August 2018 #19
    Greg, I usually pay $1 a bait, unless it is around a tournament. Like Shoeless stated I only buy bait when I don't feel like trying to catch it or it is hard to find. As far as tipping it, I wouldn't worry about it as long as there is a lot of bait around. But if they aren't biting then you can try to tip   

thanks for the info....i really thought 25 dollars a dozen was highway robbery
    2018 shearwater 27
  • Tidal TownTidal Town Posts: 42 Deckhand
    Go with Flourocarbon Sabiki rigs. Not much more money and sometimes the only thing the baits will hit.