offshore wreck fishing

Had a  3/4 day trip with Sam and family. We headed offshore in search of some hard pulling fish.  We headed off to a deeper wreck looking for some ajs, sharks, cudas and anything else that might want to play.  First flatlined baits got hit almost immediately with several cutoffs (cudas). Deployed a flatline with a stinger rig and hooked up to a speedy cuda that put on a nice aerial show as well as some drag ripping runs. Around the same time a couple of our bottom rods go off and get us back to the wreck. Landed the cuda... 

put out a few more bottom rigs and Owens rod doubles over... lots of hard pulling and digging, drag screaming runs... Owen played him fantastic.  After a few minutes of back and forth, up comes a big AJ... Id estimate him in the 55-60 lb class. 

We dropped down the bottom rods again and continued to hook up time and time again... Many of the fish were giants and got the best of us as they got back down to the bottom, or wore thru the 60 and 80 lb leader... 

Sam got a hook up on another decent fish and played him perfectly, putting another 36" AJ in the boat. 

I deployed the bent butt rod with a 3 lb piece of bonita... it resulted in a nice fight on an estimated 7 ft bull shark... got him within 20 ft of the boat and wore thru the leader (perfect!)

Another flat line goes off and runs and runs and runs... after circling the boat a ton of times, turned out to be a really big black tip... safely released boatside.  

We hooked and fought a bunch of fish that ultimately got the best of them.  Was a run time, and I always love the sound of a singing drag!

Rods stayed bent all day and everyone went home with sore arms and stories to tell. Weather was perfect. Fish bite was on.  Couldnt ask for a better day offshore!

www.SaltyFishingCharters.com 33 Ft World Cat Tournament Edition Catamaran
Offshore Fishing Charters FT Myers, Sanibel, Captiva, Cape Coral

Replies

• MikelleenMikelleen Posts: 73 Greenhorn
    Nice! 
    I'm planning on some wreck fishing this coming week, so good timing on this report.
  • MGTeacherMGTeacher South GaPosts: 1,800 Captain
    Solid report.
    My Favorite Smile Is Vertical
  • MikelleenMikelleen Posts: 73 Greenhorn
    I am going to try for AJ's for the 1st time this week.
    Penn SSV 8500 reels, 80 lb braid with 100 lb mono top shot on 100 lb jigging rods

I am wondering if you could give me some tips on baiting up for AJ's?

I was thinking about jigging using flat fall jigs, as well as rigging up some squid, but what other bait tactics may be useful? What about surface poppers or ?????

Thanks!
  • Firetruck1Firetruck1 Posts: 139 Deckhand
    Live blue runners or larger grunts work like magic near the bottom....couple cranks up. Hold on!
  • Capt Dan MedinaCapt Dan Medina Posts: 769 Officer
    every dsy is a little different out there... i normally hope to go out with a well of blue runners and pinfish... sometimes we do, sometimes we dont... Tomtates and squirrel fish work pretty good if they are in a biting mood.  
    Large surface poppers work awesome once youve got a school up and around the surface.. Sometimes its instant, other times they will follow and chase only to turn around at the last second.  Vertical and flutter jigs can also work extremely well.  Ive had days where the jogs do better than the live bait.  Best to have a little of everything when targeting them....
    www.SaltyFishingCharters.com 33 Ft World Cat Tournament Edition Catamaran
    Offshore Fishing Charters FT Myers, Sanibel, Captiva, Cape Coral