Your eating fish choices

The mayor of the Nassua sound bridge (some know him) and i were discussing best eating fish today. Decided to post this today  with two categories as my boat to small to head offshore.

My choices inshore:

Redfish

Flounder

Sheepshead

Whiting

Trout not in top choices. never eat a pompono from surf either.

Offshore: only what I have eaten from seafood market,

Grouper

trigger

mahi mahi

Snapper, all varieties 

cobia

Never had kingfish, wahoo, no real tuna here mako sharks.

What would others say here? especially you sea snake as know the mayor and regularly do both?

Jim

Replies

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,789 Admiral
    Hogfish is very good.   
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • fsu11fsu11 Posts: 1,886 Captain
    id put Flounder Sheepshead then trout then redfish inshore. 
    offshore: trigger, wahoo, cobia, grouper/snapper, then mahi mahi 

personal preferences
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 2,959 Captain
    Inhsore: pompano, mangrove snapper, sheepshead, trout.

Offshore: grouper(scamp especially), porgies, hogfish, mutton snapper, fresh dolphin, cobia. 

Those are my top choices, but I like eating fish and there are other tasty ones.
  • ChonggChongg Posts: 445 Deckhand
    I'd never had red snapper that I caught myself before this weekend. Lemme tell you, that's near the top of the list now...

• bswivbswiv Posts: 6,968 Admiral
    It's much more complicated than simply listing species.

Redfish from the ocean or from the flats of the Gulf are a far different thing from those caught down our river. Same with flounder or drum or.....well......any number of fish.

Same with mullet. Saltwater mullet are a completely different thing from a mullet pulled from lake George or Crescent Lake....even if they are both black mullet.

And a scamp or a pink porgie caught when the  water is cold is far better than one caught during the dog days of summer when the water is 80+.

And then there is SIZE......smaller fish almost always being better.

Even pompano......a QUEEN of a fish has variations in eating quality, those coming south in the fall after getting fat further north being better than those heading the other way in the spring.

And I could go on.......

With that all said it is almost impossible to fry a better fish than a large spring whiting. And not much bakes better than a barely legal drum  out of the intracoastal.

And......summer brown shrimp off the beaches are way better than the whites................
  • livebaitlivebait Posts: 610 Officer
    Inshore-whiting,flounder,drum
    Offshore-black sea bass, triggerfish, barracuda
    Don't keep sea trout any more.
  • GuanagatorGuanagator MayportPosts: 358 Deckhand
    Inshore- Flounder sheepshead redfish
    offshore- wahoo Cobia blackfin snapper grouper, yellowtail is my favorite snapper
  • jawrayjawray Posts: 247 Deckhand
    Grew up on FRIED CATFISH. Seriously, even though i love redfish, ect......Freshwater Catfish is still my favorite. Maybe just brings good memories. 
  • Cast_N_BlastCast_N_Blast JaxPosts: 1,014 Officer
    Inshore: Mangrove Snapper, Sheepshead, Speckled Perch
    Offshore: Cobia, Mahi, and Triple Tail
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,185 Admiral
    Offshore: SEA BASS , hands down the best fish in the ocean !! Then followed by a 6 to 8 pound snapper

Trigger are very good also, as well as the offshore sheepshead.......Not a fan of the pelagics, so to speak, but wahoo ain't bad

Inshore, a big ol fat beach whiting, like Ben said is hard to beat.......pretty much tied with a flounder, followed by mango snappers.....but what's really good is a big fat gator trout, fried into cut chunks or fingers.....but I know the trout lovers' hair is standing on their necks when you talk about eating a gator trout....lol

just sayin'......
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,185 Admiral
    Oh I forgot the grouper family............most any of the smaller grouper, up to 15 pounds are very hard to beat !!

..........still second to sea bass, though .............
  • LunaseaLunasea Posts: 106 Deckhand
    in offshore species, hogfish are great but not many will be caught hook-and-line, mostly speared by divers.  For the "easier to catch" species, my list in order of preference would be -

Triggerfish (my favorite, no doubt)
    Beeliners
    Scamp
    American Red Snapper (Genuines)
    Cobia
    Other Snapper species (such as Mango, Lane, Yellowtail)
    Other grouper species (such as Gag, Black, and Red)
    Amberjack (grill only)
    Black Sea Bass (only this low on list because hard to catch ones big enough to be worth the effort)

Others pretty much don't make the list, to my tastes.

Inshore species - 

Croaker (only if same-day fresh, NEVER frozen)
    Sheepshead (prefer ones not too large, maybe 2-3 lbs.)
    Flounder
    Redfish

• elpollolocoelpolloloco Posts: 174 Deckhand
    Sea bass, African pompano, trigger, scamp, wahoo. Snook is also darn good eating as well.
  • willybigboywillybigboy Posts: 213 Deckhand
    kingfish and mullet for me, however I'm a plumber, can't taste or smell anymore
  • NBredfishNBredfish Posts: 193 Deckhand
    1) scamp
    2) trigger
    3) sea bass
    4) dolphin 
    5) wahoo
  • PangamanPangaman Posts: 538 Officer

1. swordfish
    2. African pompano
    3. sea bass
    4. trippletail

• osprey11osprey11 Posts: 882 Officer
    Hogfish    scamp    mutton 

Hobbit free zone!!

• shallowvshallowv Posts: 176 Deckhand
    Fresh fish same day any species mentioned!
    To confuse things more.........aging fish............

https://www.foodandwine.com/chefs/sushi-ginza-onodera-aging-sushi

We can think "NO!" but in some ways it's hardly different from aging beef. 

• ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 8,833 Admiral
    hands down an outside mullet, fried, skin on of course.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    ANUMBER1 said:
    Had some of these in Panacea a couple of months back while checking out the oyster aquaculture operations over there. They even went old school......the backbones with tails on being fried crisp and delivered to the table along with the mullet!! Just like being home...........

And to make the whole trip better the folks who let us help for the day while we learned on their oyster lease send us home with more than just knowledge! Oysters were darn good, better than would be expected during the middle of the summer when there has been as much rain as we've had.

• LargefryLargefry Posts: 101 Deckhand
    Absolutely loved the kingfish and mullet reply, but I am a plumber, spit out my beer!
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,497 Captain
    Fresh (still flopping when scales are coming off) fried mullet is hard to beat. 

Inshore: Flounder, Red, fresh trout.

Offshore: Wahoo, Grouper, Snapper

In and Off: Cobia and Black Sea Bass
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
    bswiv said:
    ANUMBER1 said:
    Had some of these in Panacea a couple of months back while checking out the oyster aquaculture operations over there. They even went old school......the backbones with tails on being fried crisp and delivered to the table along with the mullet!! Just like being home...........

And to make the whole trip better the folks who let us help for the day while we learned on their oyster lease send us home with more than just knowledge! Oysters were darn good, better than would be expected during the middle of the summer when there has been as much rain as we've had.

Jeff Tilly's leases?
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    No, Siler........but I think we may have met Mr. Tilly, either at the wholesaler where we dropped off the oysters or later as we had lunch down the road.

The oyster rebirth there seems like a darn good thing. And it was encouraging to see a number of new fish houses geared to them and more than a few boats set up to work the leases. The attendant environmental good of having the oysters out there in the numbers that are now there.....really positive. 
  • Joe PJoe P Posts: 187 Deckhand
    This question is about as ridiculous as asks what is your preference in woman, what they heck dose it matter what you think is the best eating fish. Have you ever had a pumpkin sword, I'd bet the majority have never heard or seen on of them...… Can't believe I've wasted my time answering this post.... Have a good day
    Joe P said:
    This question is about as ridiculous as asks what is your preference in woman, what they heck dose it matter what you think is the best eating fish. Have you ever had a pumpkin sword, I'd bet the majority have never heard or seen on of them...… Can't believe I've wasted my time answering this post.... Have a good day
    well, ave you ever had an outside mullet?
    bswiv said:
    No, Siler........but I think we may have met Mr. Tilly, either at the wholesaler where we dropped off the oysters or later as we had lunch down the road.

The oyster rebirth there seems like a darn good thing. And it was encouraging to see a number of new fish houses geared to them and more than a few boats set up to work the leases. The attendant environmental good of having the oysters out there in the numbers that are now there.....really positive. 
    yes it is a good thing, Cedar Key clammers are jumping on the farmed oyster deal also...
    Joe P said:
    Actually if a bell curve distribution is created with the answers a reasonable ranking can be constructed, one that would be expected to pass statistical muster.      

And yes.......cleaned more pumpkin swords than.....well.....I'll leave it there.
  • JoyTimeJoyTime Posts: 16 Greenhorn
    Wahoo...my fav..guess I will live my next life as a thermometer.