Stienhatchee the 9th - no scallops - water clarity poor

Storms chased us around a bit. In Hagens Cove water was tannin stained but clear. We found dead scallops. Dozens. Explored all the normal spots and the water was just to dark to see. On the water from 10 - 4 checking things out and never found a live scallop. Fished some jigs in nice grass but zero action. Were north and south of the racks. Just a great day on the water with no action.

I would say if you are after scallops maybe try Homasassa or CR.
133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg

Replies

• Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,124 Admiral
    Did u try up near Keaton?
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,627 Captain
    Sorry to hear. 

There’s none in crystal river either. 
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    Did u try up near Keaton?
    Did not make it that far.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,675 Moderator
    Hmmm , counts were promising ? Not sure what happened.

"You'll get your weather"
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    edited August 2018 #6

A buddy limited near the Steinhatchee "bird rack" earlier in the week in 6 foot of water and spotty bottom. We contended with storms churning up the water and lots of tannin stained river water. They are likely out there somewhere and better water clarity may be the ticket. NOT SURE what the deal was with the dead scallops in Hagens Cove....they were definitely not the remains of cleaned scallooops (as my buddies boy calls them).

• Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,891 Captain
    I worked the area a little south of there 2 weeks ago and found live scallops but dark water that made them hard to gather. We caught a few nice fish at least. I wonder how the clarity is a few miles north but suspect it's pretty bad there too.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 9,301 Admiral

I vote karma.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,124 Admiral
    Water there is still very dark
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,675 Moderator
    Water was RUSHING under the bridge in 19 near Tennille's . First time I've seen that.

"You'll get your weather"