Home Conservation Forums

Triggerfish fine

bbbbbb Posts: 1,039 Officer
edited August 2018 in Conservation Forums #1
I made the mistake and took screen shots of the Quick Chart on the FWC website before we went fishing in the gulf yesterday.   Kids caught a 15” trigger so I looked at the chart.  It said changes pending under the triggerfish bag limits.   I did not assume that Pending meant, happened 5 months ago.  
Well me and the boys brought 6 triggers to the dock, 14-16 inches at the fork.  

Game Warden wrote me a ticket for being over the limit by 3 fish.   Anyone know how much FWC values their Triggerfish stocks?    Hopefully its down the list from the red snapper, grouper and redfish.  

I mean a porpoise won’t even eat these things.  

Replies

• Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,452 Admiral
    I'm very familiar with the MyFWC website and it shows Gray Triggerfish as having a bag limit of 1 per person per day. When did you take this screenshot? Those limits have been in place for a while now. As far as the "ticket" goes, it's not actually a ticket. It's a Notice to Appear in court and you were charged with a misdemeanor crime. FWC has nothing to do with the actual penalty which can be up to $500.00 plus 60 days in jail along with probation, community service, court costs and cost of prosecution. A lot depends on your history and to a point the jurisdiction you got caught in. Some jurisdictions take these crimes seriously and others, not so much, though in recent years I've seen more and more of them taking these situations more seriously and handing out stiffer penalties, especially if its a second offense or more.
  • mleach82mleach82 Posts: 58 Deckhand
    Looks like they haven't updated their quick chart to reflect the changes, still says January 2018: http://myfwc.com/media/4219696/QuickChart.pdf

• ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,454 AG
    triggerfish is one of the best eating fish in the gulf.. 

main page on myfwc has been updated for a while, try and keep up.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.

One of my favorites

mleach82 said:
    Looks like they haven't updated their quick chart to reflect the changes, still says January 2018: http://myfwc.com/media/4219696/QuickChart.pdf

The quick chart is updated yearly. That's why it says check the website
  • bbbbbb Posts: 1,039 Officer
    edited August 2018 #7
    So was the quick chart released on Jan 1 with red letters saying “Updates Pending”?

or were they able to add “Updates Pending” after it was released?

So I guess the moral of the story is that the chart is useless after January 1st, unless fishing for species which have no size or bag limits.  

• Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,963 Captain
    Not so. Its easy to be frustrated. Many regulation changes undergo public comment or is discussed at public meetings. Much like the recent hogfish, mutton snapper and sheepshead regulations i can think of off the top of my head. They dont just randomly change the regulations on a whim. Which is why the ones which are under review or will have final changes are indicated in red, pointing you to check the actual regulations for the update.

No the moral of the story is that if you disregard the red portion indicating possible changes upcoming that haven't been finalized, you could get yourself a ticket.
  • AlwaysLearningMoreAlwaysLearningMore Posts: 200 Deckhand
    As mentioned a couple of times above, triggerfish are excellent eating and are my favorite fish in the Gulf.  But they do have a tough hide.  I've seen cudas hit them and barely cut them.  

Were you fishing in state or Federal waters?  If it was in Federal waters you probably have to take your medicine and are lucky that it wasn't a Federal citation.  However, if it was state waters and you show a judge that screenshot, you might catch a break. Especially if it's still showing the same by the time you get to court!
    bbb said:
    So was the quick chart released on Jan 1 with red letters saying “Updates Pending”?

or were they able to add “Updates Pending” after it was released?

So I guess the moral of the story is that the chart is useless after January 1st, unless fishing for species which have no size or bag limits.  

It's very useful, but if it says check updates, you probably should.
  • BarrellBarrell Posts: 1,295 Officer
    Show the judge the screenshot. Judges are reasonable.