Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Tampa Bay / MacDill AFB fishing

im in the lower tampa bay area for 4 more days. Having a hard time locating fish to catch on macdill. Mostly just ladyfish so far. Using mostly live finger mullet and greenies caught in my cast net. Would anyone like to meet up and fish some time this week? Would really love to pond fish for snook and tarpon or just catch those species in general. I live up in Destin Florida and would gladly return a guided trip up there for someone knowledgeable of fishing this area to show me how to catch some fish! 

Thank you!

Replies

• Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,782 Moderator
    Very few people have access to McDill.  Have to have a military ID
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 11,819 AG
    If you're catching ladyfish, use them for cut bait, i hear redfish find them appealing. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • BottomFedBottomFed Posts: 29 Greenhorn
    In close to the mangroves and off the end of the run way are trout and lady fish.  It requires a kayak and mil-spec ID to get on base.  If launching a motorboat from the base boat ramp you can go closer to shore but still have to observe the no motorized vehicle limit.  Anyone violating the exclusion zones will encounter a fast boat with multiple machine guns bearing down on them.  I always prefer to launch from base so the ISR cameras see I'm coming from base.  But yeah, it's loaded in there.