Still Hunting alongside Dog Hunters

spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 695 Officer
A good suggestion made to me has been if you shoot a deer that someone's dogs ran to you, to offer to split the deer.  Sounds fair, happy to do it.

But I've got a question with further regard to etiquette.  One of the places I'm looking at has still hunt areas.  The brochure says hunting with dogs is prohibited in the still hunt area.  But nothing about not still hunting in the dog hunting area.  I'm assuming it's allowed.  But would it be frowned upon?

The only reason I even ask, is that the still hunt area is quite a bit smaller, limited to the edges of the property and has less road access (actually almost none that is improved reaching into the still hunt areas).  Or I'd prob just stick to the still hunt areas anyway.  And I still might after I check it out, idk yet.  Just trying to understand things before I head out there to scout a bit.

Happy to hear anything else I should consider.

Replies

• gritsnhuntin1gritsnhuntin1 Posts: 821 Officer
    It's public land you can still hunt anywhere.
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 695 Officer
    I can walk around during archery too.  But I don't think I'd make a lot of friends.  Just tryin to avoid ruffling any feathers due to my ignorance.  Please humor me.  If no need for concern, fine.

Just tryin to be considerate.  Proactively.  Understanding I don't know it all.  Even if I've read a brochure.
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 1,308 Officer
    edited August 12 #4
    Put a game cam on your truck if you're worried. I used to hunt a dog/still club. They usually only talk trash when they’re roaring away, but they will mess with your truck. I’ve never had it happen but I’ve seen it done. 
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
    Got it.  I'll do whatever the F I want.  It's public land and I know the F'n rules...
    @jonsredfishin, now, the way you've edited your post, it doesn't seem so dismissive.  And now, maybe my response seems exaggerated lol  you originally made it sound like I was worried about my truck.  Pleazzze.

I don't give a hoot what their opinion of me being a still hunter is out there.  Or about my truck.  If that's a problem.  They've got limited places to hunt and I'm trying to be respectful.  But if all I've got to worry about is there opinion of me, then I'll hunt where ever I want.

If someone, and I'm sure they will at some point, offers some valid considerations.  Which is all I asked for.  I will use my best judgement as to whether I adopt the advice or not.  Just like I've done about sharing a deer.
  • awayaway Posts: 252 Deckhand
    My opinion is that it probably will not be well received.  If there is a section for still hunt only then I can't imagine the dog hunters would be happy with being encroached upon by still hunters since they would not be allowed to do the same.

But I also think this would only apply during dog/gun season. Archery and black powder would be fair game.

Again, I'm only speculating and this is just my opinion of how I would approach it.
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 1,308 Officer
    Take a breath. I’m just telling you what to expect. Btw, they don’t care about the meat. 
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 1,653 Captain
    edited August 12 #9
    I’ve actually never heard of problems with still hunters hunting on a dog hunt side for that stated reason alone. Problems seem to be related more to other kinds of drama that happens. But as to simply being present and hunting on the dog hunt side, I’m not aware of there being any sort of breech of etiquette based on that. 

If any hunter, dog hunter or not, messes with you or your stuff just because you’re somewhere they don’t want you to be, that’s just them being greedy trash who don’t want to share the woods. There’s always been and probably always will be individuals or clans that way. 
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 1,653 Captain
    edited August 12 #10
    I’ll also add that in private clubs that allow dog and still hunting together, slipping around the woods and taking what the dogs stir up is a common strategy. I don’t mean stealing the individual deer that the dogs are running. I mean picking off deer that’s avoided the dogs but are stirred up by the activity. Some of the best still hunt clubs are the ones that are actually dog hunt clubs. So long as every gets along and there’s a system for conflict resolution, dog hunting goes a long way toward keeping the deer pushed out of their daytime fortresses. The only rest they get in heavily ran dog areas is at night. Meaning you’ll see more out and about during the day. 
    Take a breath. I’m just telling you what to expect. Btw, they don’t care about the meat. 
    Take a breath?  You are telling me to expect, that if I hunt around dog hunters, that I should worry about my truck?  And they don't care about meat lol  ...ok, I think I got it ;)

I don't typically have problems with other people (except on here lol).  I get along with ALL kinds of people.  Guess it depends on how you hold yourself.  If you've gotta chip on your shoulder about someone else, it comes through.

The advice I was given about splitting the deer, has come from several dog hunters.  On here and in the three-dimensional world.  Not the kind of people you are describing at all.  But again, I got it ;) Thanks for the input.

• ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 8,956 Admiral
    I could care less about a still hunter in a dog hunt area.
    If the dogs run a deer by the still hunter and he shoots it then he needs to at least offer up half, that's called respect...

if still hunter shoots on slipping then fine...
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    edited August 12 #13
    Btw, I also wouldn't shoot at a deer that's actively being run.  I'm just hoping they're moving them around during the day and even maybe for one that gets pushed to me.  If someone comes to investigate after shooting and thinks their dogs played enough of a part.  I'll split it.

I'll prob just stick to the still hunt area since this one has it.
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 6,997 Admiral
     This..........."Just tryin to avoid ruffling any feathers due to my ignorance."......a couple of other things you've said and the simple fact that you're trying to figure out how not to be one of the problems leads me to think that when any sort of interaction takes place there will not be a ugly end results. 

More folks with this sort of attitude would make our chosen sport......heck, life in general a whole lot more pleasant.

If I may suggest......talk to every other hunter, dog or otherwise you see in the area.....I'd be darn surprised if they did not appreciate it. At least most of them.

Thanks bswiv.  Actually, since I've started this journey, I've been overwhelmingly surprised at the positive reception I've received from virtually every hunter I run into in the field.  I didn't expect that most are more than happy to stop and chat.  And that most do.  Even stop in their trucks when you're passing on narrow roads.

You have to keep in mind that I typically get pinned as 'surfer dude'.  Which... is fairly accurate lol But I'm pretty clearly a city guy, no accent, etc.  And a beginner. blah blah blah But, frankly, it was a source of trepidation for me in the beginning.  Now, no worries.  People really have been great.  I can't overstate it.

But now I guess, on top of being a city slicker, I'll be a 'tree climber' lol  my truck's toast..  I'll be sure to make it a point to chat with anyone I come across.  Thanks for the advice.  From what I've experienced, I've got no cause not to.  Nothing but something to gain.  Lots of tips specific to the areas I'm hunting.  Not the kind of things you're gonna read about. And shoot, often good conversation, we're into the same thing after all.

Only had one bad experience in 3 years actually.  Someone stealing my s  h   i tt.  From my kayak... while deep and far away :/  Ended up coming up on him before he left the scene.  I was real friendly and introduced myself right off the bat, and chatted for a min, before I realized I had got got.  He was reciprocal but, in hindsight, something was a bit off.  Then, I realized a bag was gone from my boat. And I let him know, I knew, without out-rite accusing him and starting a gun fight lol  Had I been 100% certain (and seen my bag), I guess it coulda got ugly.  Even then, I'd have given every opportunity to make it right. 

Plus listen, I get pissed every time I take the boat out.  Guaranteed some idiot that doesn't know the rules and is a flat out hazard.  On the roads too..

Don't wanna be that guy.  Ever.  If I can avoid it.
  • doghunterdoghunter Posts: 401 Deckhand
    I am a dog hunter. 

It's public land. Hunt where you want. Just understand, if you are in a dog hunt area, you will hear and probably see dogs. Don't let it deter you. The dogs will get some deer moving that would have held tight till dark. I've also seen deer feeding and acting like deer with a driving race going on pretty close.

Dog hunters are hunters, the same as you. We just enjoy the resource in a little different way than still hunters do. Be respectful to a dog hunter and 99% of the time he will be respectful to you. That being said, there are rude people in all walks of life. Dog hunters and still hunters included.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 5,710 Admiral
    I,ve been hunting for Years around Dog Hunters.
    Some of them for sure have a bad attuite especially on Public land.
    On my Club , A Dog Club, I hunt where I want and we usually get along quit well.
    Of course any threats will get you removed from said Club before Dawn tomorrow.
    Also Dog Hunters don,t...
    Hang Tape everywhere
    Set up Stands all over
    Claim areas
    Set up Feeders and claim a swamp or Oak Hammock
    Heck it,s rare for them to even walk in the woods.
    We're good
    About 3 or 4 times a Season I go and Dog hunt myself on another club with the Taylor County Locals
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 4,701 Captain
    Where I hunt some of the areas are dog areas but they are allowed to use beagles. I talked to one of the guys (just one so not a good sample) and I asked him how he would feel and he said shoot it. He also said he already had deer and really didn't care, they usually get way, way, more deer than a still hunter gets so they will often let it go. If it was obviously being chased then I would certainly offer it up but, it needs to be obvious. Just because there is a dog in the area doesn't mean the dog is on the deer. I think a lot of these guys just like running their dogs.

I have never had any issues with anyone bothering any of my equipment, that includes stands and cameras, maybe I am just lucky. I am hoping to run into that guy again to see if he would be interested in allowing me to hunt with him. He usually only puts out one dog. It would be fun to hunt like that I'm sure but, I never have. I don't doubt that there are some jerks out there but that goes for both sides, I have also pointed out dogs that I have seen on the road to the hunters to help them recover their mutts.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • hunterjwhunterjw Posts: 330 Deckhand
      spangler said:
    Btw, I also wouldn't shoot at a deer that's actively being run.  I'm just hoping they're moving them around during the day and even maybe for one that gets pushed to me.  If someone comes to investigate after shooting and thinks their dogs played enough of a part.  I'll split it.

I bet you would!  Especially if it was a good one.  Just because dogs are on it doesn't mean it is running hard..

I'd suggest asking one of the groups if you can hunt with them.  Usually they need a few extras and it is an absolute blast.  You will probably enjoy the hunt and camaraderie more anyway..

"He who hoots with the owls at night will not soar with the eagles at dawn"
    buckpic.jpg" tuna.jpg th_turkey1-1.jpg
  • doghunterdoghunter Posts: 401 Deckhand
    spangler said:

You should shoot it. You are there to deer hunt, aren't you? I ran a buck by a still hunter last year and he told me he wasn't sure if he was supposed to shoot it or not, so he let it go (a decent little 8 point). I told him YES. Shoot the buck. He had given us the slip . He crossed on my daughter and she never could see his head, even though she was pretty sure it was a buck.

Most dog hunters would appreciate the offer of half the meat. I usually turn it down as I usually have enough, but have taken a back strap or something for camp meat. I like to shoot deer in front of dogs, but like to just run dogs almost as much. I probably kill more still hunting, but just love a good race.
  • OwlseyOwlsey Posts: 317 Deckhand
    Reading this stuff makes me cringe. Thank God I don't hunt public land. No dogs. No strangers. No members. No anything I don't want. Haven't had a bad day hunting in years. I probably could not go back to public or leased land.
    I haven,t had a Bad Day hunting in 10 Years being a Still Hunter on a Dog Club with 425 Members . 
    I would rather hunt with folks I know and trust. We swap stories , keep up on the deer an hog movements , Joke , Drink Hard Liquor ,Pull each others Trucks out if needed , have Cookouts, Bonfires and a heck of a good time...

Sounds like me 30 years ago.It was freaking fun though. Great memories.
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,136 AG
    Owlsey said:
    Reading this stuff makes me cringe. Thank God I don't hunt public land. No dogs. No strangers. No members. No anything I don't want. Haven't had a bad day hunting in years. I probably could not go back to public or leased land.
    No exploring new neat places that you know will be there in 20, 30, 100 years. I love public land, generally meet new people, see news areas, get to watch effective land management improve the resource, etc.
    133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg
    This as well..
    I'd be bored to Tears if I looked at the same 500 acres for the rest of my life...Shooting Houses staring at a Feeder or Food Plot , No thanks.
    I'm a Hunter not a Sitter..
     As I said earlier, I was where you are 30 years ago. I am willing to bet , given the opportunity, most everybody on here would give up public land hunting for my soft, ****, sitting ,boring , hunting. I worked for this my whole life. Now I have it. And T.R.T., I'm still a hunter and raised hunters and now raising grand hunters. Keep doing what you do if it makes you happy. Different strokes
    I would not..
    I've got Farmer Friends at the Fla. Alabama line with shooting houses and food plots , Farm fields ect. They have a Depredation permit for 90 deer a year. I might shoot a doe for meat but I'm not hunting anything..I'm waiting for Bait to lure them to me.

I'm right at 63 and still wading swamps ,  
    Their way is fun for a long weekend but not my style. 
    We all have different styles , the most important is to enjoy our short lives learning and enjoying.

• ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 8,956 Admiral
    I would probably quit deer hunting if dogs were banned...
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    I'd quit going to Bars if they kicked all the ugly drunk chicks out..