How to figure out visibility

acslammer26acslammer26 Posts: 4 Greenhorn
does anyone have a good method to know if vis is going to be good, tired of loading the boat and getting out there and can't see your hand in front of your face. We are in the treasure coast area. Thanks

Replies

• The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,245 Officer

I was a scuba diver for nearly 60 years and I never figured it out except for a few places in Biscayne Bay where I needed to avoid polluted water from the Miami River. I think it’s impossible to figure out offshore in advance unless you talk to someone that is already out there.

Giimoozaabi
  • watergatorwatergator Fort Pierce Posts: 131 Deckhand
    Keep going out and pay attention to patterns. Its definitely not foolproof, but a few days of an offshore wind and a few weeks of little rain typically produce the best vis. 
  • TeejTeej Posts: 149 Deckhand
    Hear ya on that AC, I'm in Sebastian area facing same problem.   It's really frustrating when you've got a limited time window for the day - just enough for one good dive.  I usually bring a fishing rod every trip with a cobia jig, both for testing water clarity up top as well as just in case something swims up to the boat.  

My normal game plan is to run the shoreline out the inlet to some nearshore sites toward Vero - drop the jig and get a sense of viz.  If it seems to have potential, I drop my mushroom anchor, don the mask & fins grab a little 60cf with a strap handle that I use as an emergency drop tank; do a quick drop down the mushroom anchor line and see what the bottom looks like.  Move on if its a bust.  When time gets tight, out to a 40-60ft spot, anchor up and go for it.

Of course that's all dependent on whether the surf is up nearshore and what the water flow direction at SI has been doing - catching the bottom of the 6hr outflow on a full or new moon at SI means a far to get away from the turbidity or just heading out to 40-60ft or deeper right from the start.  

Yesterday the game plan still produced nothing though.  Nearshore SI was low viz and my  60ft dive yesterday  was awful viz too.  Worse, when I got back topside another boat had anchored up and let me know a 10ft shark was circling my boat when they pulled up - didn't even seem it the whole dive.  

Gonna try deeper today and tomorrow if winds allow - seems the winds crank up for a week after this Friday making seas unmanageable in my small boat.
  • JoyTimeJoyTime Posts: 35 Greenhorn
    Sebastian in poor vis is just not fun and dangerous.  I always check the past rainfall within 4 days of where I want to dive.  Then I check the previous 5 days of wind direction and velocity.
    Rain makes the water cloudy as does lots of wind. Still there is no real way to be sure of vis. Just gotta get in and try it. 
  • troutdigglertroutdiggler Posts: 392 Deckhand
    A goPro with a screen dropped down on a fishing pole gives you a good idea.  Mainly you have to go to know.
    Trout