Anyone Catching Grouper?

The reports I have seen lately are people going around 60-70 feet offshore and catching some grouper, but mostly smaller ones. Has anyone found a good number of keepers? Also has anyone been out to around 100 foot for grouper? Planning on going out tomorrow and trying to figure out where to go. Would like to catch some keeper grouper and possibly snapper.

Replies

• captcatchallcaptcatchall Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    Was out yesterday in 100' just past the Mohawk. Lots of shorts and 1 29" keeper plus some real nice mangos. There were a lot of small amberjacks hitting our baits also,all on frozen sardines and squid.
  • csheridan6159csheridan6159 Posts: 87 Greenhorn
    awesome thanks!
  • colokayakcolokayak Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    We have had some luck out past M10 out of Venice.  Mostly shorts, but some keepers once you get past 70 FOW.  Frozen squid has proven the best choice for us.
  • showstoppershowstopper Posts: 44 Greenhorn
    Start at 120 and work your way out. Lots of dinks 90' to 115'.
  • Firetruck1Firetruck1 Posts: 139 Deckhand
    I've found the grouper bite to be slow this spring/summer. It has been a challenge to hit the limit with quality fish. Lots of shorts even in the 135ish range. Most trips we land 1 nice fish in the 30' class and then struggle for a couple 21-22' fish. Back in December we were limiting out often with a 3 man crew, lately it's 2-3 fish on a good day and that's with fishing old areas w/o beating up the same holes time after time.

Ive been on several offshore charters as well with reputable guides and rarely a full limit as well. 

I know now the Gulf Council is doing an assessment of RG in September and my hunch is they will close it for a few months. Doesn't seem like a bad idea to let the populations come back up,etc.

plenty of lanes, vermilion and mangs though....
  • Firetruck1Firetruck1 Posts: 139 Deckhand
    Fishing many new areas along with old is what I meant above
  • csheridan6159csheridan6159 Posts: 87 Greenhorn
    Yeah this spring and summer has been sort of a struggle. Nothing like it was last year. At new spots or the old reliable ones where I was practically guaranteed to limit out on all 27+" RG.