Ozello/Crystal River Run 8/11

I see a lot of reports on here from all over the west coast. Anyone been out this week out of Ozello/Crystal River? I'll be headed there Saturday morning and any tid-bit pointing in the right direction would be well received! Hows the clarity? Roughly how deep are they? Bringing 1 newbie adult and 2 newbie kids. Thanks y'all!

"History is much like an endless waltz; the three beats of war, peace, and revolution continue on forever" -Mariemaia Kushrenada

Replies

• Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,332 Captain
    edited August 10 #2
    Reds should be starting to school up with the August new moon. Fish for them on the outside islands and points around high tide.  The bigger trout are on the outer grass flats along with Spanish mackerel, small sharks, and seasbass.  Drift with the current (or use a trolling motor) and cast soft plastic or gulp on jig heads. Keep them just above the grass in 12ft or deeper water.  You can also drift strip bait with just enough weight to keep it out of the grass. You'll get lots of action on the deep flats using pennant shaped pieces of pinfish for bait. 

Keeper grouper are mostly in 70+ ft of water, but grunts are available on most rock piles along with mangrove snapper.
  • Grady-ladyGrady-lady Posts: 5,269 Admiral
    Mackokid said:

I see a lot of reports on here from all over the west coast. Anyone been out this week out of Ozello/Crystal River? I'll be headed there Saturday morning and any tid-bit pointing in the right direction would be well received! Hows the clarity? Roughly how deep are they? Bringing 1 newbie adult and 2 newbie kids. Thanks y'all!

Fishing or scalloping?
    I find my peace out on the sand...Beside the sea, not beyond or behind. R.A. Britt

• SlackerSlacker Posts: 1,449 Officer
    We have found good water clarity a and scallops in 6 ft off of St. Martin's Keys. Low tide helps the kids.
  • MackokidMackokid Posts: 913 Officer
     Thank you guys for the note, I was referring to scalloping.  We’ll be at the Ozello ramp at 7:30 AM. Last year we did well in 4-5 foot.  With all the rain over there, are they running deeper right now? 
    "History is much like an endless waltz; the three beats of war, peace, and revolution continue on forever" -Mariemaia Kushrenada
  • sp00n-sp00n- Posts: 92 Greenhorn
    I'm still stealing Doc's tip and notes on fishing for reds and trout :smiley:
  • Bud in FlaBud in Fla Posts: 57 Greenhorn
    I was out last Monday and visibility was OK for scalloping but actual distance visibility was only 10 or 15 feet. It was pretty silty then but hopefully a few days without monsoons will help that. We wen't out of CR from the Ft Island Trail landing - you get a free freshwater engine flush that way! We wound up west of the Chass in about 7 ft. Sounds like you need to go that deep or more now to have a chance at the limit.
    Since it's 9:10 now and you were going to be at Ozello at 7:30 you may have already learned why most people don't put more than a 4" draft boat in there. I've never tried it there but it's supposed to be really shallow and rocky. I get nervous when I have less than 2-1/2 ft of water since fiberglass, oyster bars and rocks don't play well together.

Give us a report - I'd love to find out Ozello is navigable in something besides an air-boat or a ganoe. I'm planning on another run next Friday and a short cut would be nice. 
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 9,046 Admiral
    I wish y'all would stay out of Ozello, too many googans and fake captains as it is.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • Grady-ladyGrady-lady Posts: 5,269 Admiral
    ANUMBER1 said:
    I wish y'all would stay out of Ozello, too many googans and fake captains as it is.
    Besides which dere ain't no fish, right?  :)
    I find my peace out on the sand...Beside the sea, not beyond or behind. R.A. Britt

• MackokidMackokid Posts: 913 Officer
    I’ve hit Ozello ramp every year for the last 5 years. Great ramp but it is exactly as you say..... very shallow with plenty of hidden oyster bars. I appreciate the warning! Found out the hard way the first time. I’ve got an aluminum skiff that we take. 

Day 1 report: nothing in 4-5 ft, very sparse in 5-6 ft.  Got a 1/2 day limit before leaving due to lighting. We found most in the 6-8 ft areas. We may go back out this evening after the storms pass. Went thru 2 rain/wind fronts with no issues. With the kids here, no chances taken once we saw lightning. 
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 9,046 Admiral
    ANUMBER1 said:
    Besides which dere ain't no fish, right?  :)
    perzackley
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    edited August 11 #12
    Mackokid Look for a PM.
    (Hope it flew - never tried it on this board before)

Also, riding through storms. Not fun but usually no way around it if you want to get to the hill. I found this last year - something to keep in mind -

• BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,664 Captain
    I get nervous when I have less than 2-1/2 ft of water 

You probably don't want to fish inshore around here then.

Billy
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
  • xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,479 Officer
    . We wen't out of CR from the Ft Island Trail landing - you get a free freshwater engine flush that way! 

It's not fresh water. (taste it)  If you don't rinse and flush, your equipment won't last long. It's not as bad as out on the end but still not fresh. 

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The salinity varies with the tide. On an incoming tide, the park gets pretty salty. At the end of an ebb, the surface is pretty much all freshwater much of the year.  Freshwater floats on top of a wedge of saltwater.  You really can't be sure that you're in freshwater until Kings Bay.
  • xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,479 Officer
    The end of the ebb is a relatively small portion of the tide. The point is that by not rinsing and flushing he would be neglecting his equipment. You are a wealth of information but perhaps too technical sometimes Doc. 
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I guess I wasn't too clear.  Everybody should flush their engines if you use the park ramp. Brackish water leaves deposits just like saltwater. 
  • FishesmanFishesman Posts: 414 Deckhand
    edited August 13 #18
    The end of the ebb is a relatively small portion of the tide. The point is that by not rinsing and flushing he would be neglecting his equipment. You are a wealth of information but perhaps too technical sometimes Doc. 

I don't think Doc is too technical. His technical information is what separates him from the average poster. He's actually full of good information, based on science and years of experience, and not just hearsay.
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,769 Captain
    Can always count on Doc for the best answer your gonna get on this forum!! He' our FAV Poindexter or is that Dr. Poindexter????? I still love ya Doc!!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,580 Captain
    I’ve got some nice calcium build up in my engine. 

Flushing isn’t helping that. 
    While spring water isn't corrosive like seawater, calcium buildup can be a problem unless the engine is flushed while it is still warm. Otherwise, calcium carbonate will plate out on the internal surfaces of the cooling jacket as the water evaporates and it can build up over time.  You can minimize the buildup by flushing with vinegar or stuff like Saltaway. These weak acids will dissolve the carbonate as long as it doesn't get too thick. You don't hear much about calcium buildup causing problems around here though. 

When I lived in Nevada, I fished Pyramid Lake, which was about 20% the salinity of the ocean and was highly alkaline. The functional lifespan of a motor run regularly in Pyramid was no more than 5 years unless measures were taken to prevent calcium build up.  There was no place to flush engines at the lake, so folks had to wait to get back to Reno before they could flush.  I used both Saltaway and vinegar at different times in my Hondas and never had a cooling system problem. But I also fished the ocean a lot and saltwater seemed to remove Pyramid Lake deposits from aluminum. The dark patina that would form on the aluminum hull would brighten up after a few trips in saltwater. But I never got more than 2 years out of the thermostats, which would turn green and clog up from corrosion no matter what I did. 

The local boat dealers came up with a bunch of different fixes for cleaning out overheating engines.  These included running engines in tubs of commercial boiler descaler to backflushing the cooling jackets with phosphoric and/or hydrochloric acid. That worked sometimes. The descaler didn't harm anything, but the 2 strong acids sometimes ate holes in the block. 

Is your engine overheating, Nick? Or are you just seeing white spots?
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,664 Captain

The local boat dealers came up with a bunch of different fixes for cleaning out overheating engines.  These included running engines in tubs of commercial boiler descaler to backflushing the cooling jackets with phosphoric and/or hydrochloric acid. That worked sometimes. 
    Kent, when he had Magic Manatee, would do that on some cases. He said it usually worked and was worth the effort. I'm not sure if the "new" people do it or not. I watched him do one once, from a distance, It looked pretty messy to me.

Billy
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,580 Captain
    I rolled over 1900 hrs this morning and it’s never been flushed. 

I’ll see see if I can find pics of my tstats last time I pulled them.

Over heated a few times this summer from the floating grass but that’s it. Upper & Lower oil change, plugs, filters every 6 weeks. 

Running it till she blows!
    Running engines almost every day lets them build up a lot of hours before problems develop. Calcium carbonate forms on surfaces when they sit exposed to air.  Calcium is mostly in the chloride or hydroxide form when it is dissolved in water.  As the water dries down, CO2 from the air causes the insoluble carbonate to form.  Running in saltwater can slowly convert the calcium carbonate back to the chloride/hydroxide form and remove the deposits. 

It's engines run exclusively in very hard or alkaline freshwater that have the most issues with scale buildup. Engines run in saltwater usually don't build up a lot of scale even if they aren't flushed.  But they can corrode because of problems with the metallurgy (early Yamaha F200-F250 dry exhaust sections) or imperfections in the anodization process (any engine).
    I'm getting educated! I didn't realize CR was brackish that far in. How about the Withlacoochee? Is it considered brackish as far as Yankeetown or is it fresh water by that point?

What's the recommended flush? I see Salt Away and CRC Salt Terminator. The Salt Terminator is cheaper but is it as good? Salt Away is still much cheaper than a new engine! What do you guys use so I can start?

Thanks for all the info!!!!
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 9,217 Admiral
    Fresh water from your hose for 20 minutes for a start, i usually mix in a little dawn dish detergent now and flush that through, you can use vinegar as well if you want.   

Go to Lowes, go to the pressure washer accessories, they make an adapter that goes from hose to hose and has a reservoir.   It's much better and has a valve for water and solution.   Better built than the ones that come with salt away or salt terminator.   
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
    The Withlacoochee is fresh at Yankeetown as far as I can tell. I tested the water at Yankeetown Marina once when we pulled out a sunken engine. It had lower conductivity than the headwater springs on the Homosassa. The vegetation along the river suggests that it's fresh way down toward the Gulf. The Withlacoochee is mostly surface water, which isn't as hard as spring water. The Rainbow River water gets diluted out by the greater volume of water draining from as far away as Green Swamp. 

I really can't say that there is a difference between Saltaway and Salt Terminator.  Saltaway contains detergent, a chelating (metal binding) agent, and a corrosion inhibitor. Salt Terminator contains detergent, sodium nitrite (used is some commercial de-scalers), and a corrosion inhibitor. They both seem to do the job, at least when I look at salt crystals on my hull when I rinse it off twice a year. 
    Flushed today. Thanks for all the info!