Shimano Stradic - Drag is Silent

My nephew has a brand new stradic, he used it twice and I have no idea what he did to it.  But the drag is silent and I have no idea why.  Any suggestions?  

Replies

• kellerclkellercl Posts: 2,094 Captain
    I believe I figured it out.  The little spring clicker thing was coated in salt and sand.  Cleaned it up and now it works.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,983 Captain
    and you'll soon learn that the clicker isn't as durable as it needs to be... When the end of it breaks off - the only way to get a new clicker is to buy a new spool since you can't replace it (at least on any of the models of Stradic I've had in the past...).  At present I must have way more than a half dozen Stradic spool (all in the 4000 or 5000 range... ) that run silently since the clicker is long gone....   Thank you Shimano... and that's just the first reason I'm not buying them anymore... parts problems with older reels is much more aggravating...

On the other hand... the drag washers on Stradics last for years and years - go figure...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    Does the clicker do anything other than make noise?  I suppose it helps let the fisherman know how hard and fast a fish is running?

I've been mostly a shimano exclusive fisherman, but will have to admit I'm annoyed with the stradic.  I bought it for my nephew for xmas, I was stunned it already is acting goofy.  What reels do you typcislly go with?  I bought a quantum smoke and hate it.  Overpriced garbage that knots up on light weight jigs.  
  • DropTheHammerDropTheHammer East CoastPosts: 556 Officer
    Huh what!  :D 

I'm thinking my drag knob on my ultralight that's spooled with 6 pound monofilament
    does at least 100 clicks to A revolution. Being that I fish so light. I can tell the difference
    in the drag with just one click on the drag knob.

I spooled my ultralight with A .009 diameter multifilament line. As I was fishing
    the season I just kept tightening my drag without knowing. when I took It in for
    A repair it ended up that there were A lot of other maintenance issues that were
    neglected that lead to this. It's more than just the major fail. UNDERSTAND! ;-)

We all new what we were doing until DropTheHammer showed up.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,983 Captain
    All the clicker works for is to let you hear when the drag is going out... For a skilled angler you really don't need it -- for beginners it's a valuable tool to let you know that maybe your drag is a bit on the light side (if it clicks when you twitch a lure or when you try to set a hook...).  For a fishing guide like me it's pretty handy since I generally can't see the reel when a big fish is hooked up (all I get to see is the angler's backside....) and I'm maneuvering the skiff to keep the fish  where we want it - and to be able to assist the angler while that fish is being worked on...  At night the clicker is very handy since you have no clue what's going on (no visual aids...) and sometimes - particularly next to a bridge or dock it's really important to know... is my angler winning or losing to the fish in places where you don't want them to reach pilings or concrete... 

I use Penn, Daiwa, and Shimano reels on my skiff - when we're not fly-fishing my standard load is eight rods (in pairs mostly in light, light medium, medium heavy, and heavy ranges... These days instead of new Shimano Stradics I'm buying the new Daiwa BG line (the 3500 series for now - they're slightly bigger than the Stradic 4000 series - and hold a bit more line - and they're noticeably cheaper....).  My two reels have been in service now for almost one year and are working just fine.... I'd be glad to recommend the Quantum reels as well -but not the cheap ones....

Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    Thanks for the information, much appreciated.  I may look into a BG.  I have heard others sing their praise.
  • DropTheHammerDropTheHammer East CoastPosts: 556 Officer

I just stood there like an idiot!

He's telling me about his boat that he paid over $20,000 and he catches these fish.
    I told him you don't need A boat. I want you to come with me with you friend. That's
    when we took turns catching fish with one rod.

Look how smart I am. A passer buy see's what's happening and says to his pal.
    Let's take the boat out.

https://www.brooklynvifishing.com/offshorefishing

Here I come!

We all new what we were doing until DropTheHammer showed up.