Halibut recipes?

got1ongot1on Posts: 57 Greenhorn
A friend of mine was in Alaska recently and brought me back some fresh (flash frozen) halibut fillets and I was wondering what is the best way to prepare it. Should I bake, fry or grill? Leave skin on or remove? Any suggestions?

Replies

• Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,242 Moderator
    Here's a couple of recipes from Emerald Pines Lodge, a resort that I have been to several times and where my son worked for several summers:
    Baked Halibut
    Halibut Fillets
    Butter
    Chopped onion
    Mayo, Dry Mustard, lemon juice, salt pepper

Melt Butter in a 9 X 13 Baking dish, place chopped onion in dish with halibut on top Combine mayo (1 or 2 cups, what ever you like depending on the amount of fish you are preparing) 2 tsps dry mustard, salt pepper and lemon juice.  Bake till fish flakes.  You can sprinkle with bread crumbs, parm cheese and crushed dill if you like.

Heavenly Halibut  (my favorite)
    Slice halibut into thin slices, about 1" or so wide.  Soak in milk fr 45 minutes.  MAke bread crumbs with 4-6 slices of dry bread in blender, add 1/2 cup to 1 cup parm cheese, season with garlic salt to taste, drain halibut and roll in crumb mixture.  Place in baking pan and drizzle with melted butter  Bake 400* for 20 minutes It's done when it flakes easily with fork  Do not overcook.