Red Tide Article...worst it's been in over a decade

TrevfishinTrevfishin In my mind I'm in my kayak fishing, unfortunately physically I'm at work :(Posts: 661 Officer
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/2018/08/news-longest-red-tide-wildlife-deaths-marine-life-toxins/ 

great article...I'm sorry for the fishing guides and businesses that rely on the tourist...sad.

Replies

• EnyarEnyar Posts: 97 Greenhorn
    Thanks for posting.
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,335 Admiral
    good info....thank you
  • backyardhockeybackyardhockey Posts: 143 Deckhand
    Gotta think the Cape Coral canal property values are down 25%. This appears to be the new normal
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,335 Admiral
    Dropping property values may be what it takes to get our elected officials to act properly on this issue
  • lukkyracerlukkyracer Posts: 709 Officer
    JMO. Be careful of what you read or watch on nat geo. Very politicaly motivated. What can elected officials do for a problem that scientists have no solution for? It's been going on since the native Americans have been the only residents of florida.
  • ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 2,157 Captain
    JMO. Be careful of what you read or watch on nat geo. Very politicaly motivated. What can elected officials do for a problem that scientists have no solution for? It's been going on since the native Americans have been the only residents of florida.
    lucky,
    The piper is being paid.
    Unlimited development and the catering to big sugar are coming home to roost to the detriment of coastal S.W. and S.E. Florida.
    How do we correct the conditions that we've created?
    It will take generations.
    Jim
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,449 Captain
    National Geographic is politically motivated?  We are all doomed if you believe that.  

Trust no one. Stash guns, ammo, and canned food. 
  • lukkyracerlukkyracer Posts: 709 Officer
    I have all that stashed. Waiting for the feds to raid me. Still red tide will continue to be a problem long after we are gone,  like it has before. It sucks, but it is reality in florida. Recorded for 200 years.
  • TrevfishinTrevfishin In my mind I'm in my kayak fishing, unfortunately physically I'm at work :(Posts: 661 Officer
    Here's another article done by CNN....they go after Big Sugar as the blame...

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/08/us/florida-red-tide-weir/index.html