Is this a new restriction or old one?

binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 8,008 Admiral
FWC established a Restricted Hunting Area within the city of Belle Isle that includes:

All uplands within the City's jurisdictional limits.
An area extending from the mean high water line out two hundred (200) feet into Lake Conway.
An area extending from the mean high water line out two hundred (200) feet into Little Lake Conway along the lake's southern shoreline that lies within the city's jurisdictional limits.cid:[email protected]
Please feel free to give me a call at your convivence should you wish to discuss impacts to duck hunting opportunities on the Conway chain of lakes.

Respectfully,

Morgan Richardson
Director, Hunting and Game Management
Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission
620 South Meridian Street
Tallahassee, FL 32399
(850)800-7360

Replies

• nofishtodaynofishtoday Posts: 1,113 Officer
    .???
  • N. CookN. Cook Posts: 2,011 Captain
    Not happy...but we fought this all the way until the FWC legal decided it was best to settle...UW-F has been fighting this particular "request for a bird sanctuary" from the shoreline town for about three years...(incidentally...these fights can cost UW-F a lot of money and it is hard to pay with our $25 dues!....We need more Members to help us...go to: www.uw-f.org       and click on Membership and join.....We are concerned about "precedent" more than this small loss...The lakes are lined with houses and you can imagine the complaints when duck hunters cut loose at 6:30 am on the locals' bread fed mallards right off their back yards!!!  With 1000 people a day moving to Florida and every lake being surrounded by houses, there are going to be more of these battles....
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 801 Officer
    N. Cook said:
    We are concerned about "precedent" more than this small loss...
    ^This!!  We've gotta stop all these new restrictions that are nothing but slippery slopes.
  • binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 8,008 Admiral
    Who was FWC representing when they made this decision? I didnt even get a survey
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 1,000 Officer
    Who was FWC representing when they made this decision? I didnt even get a survey

Did you Duck hunt?
    If "yes", Did you kill a duck?
    Thank you for your participation, you may or may not be contacted shortly.
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • 139sst139sst Posts: 251 Deckhand
    I wouldn't want to hunt the Conway chain but Toho and East Lake are very close.  I wonder what it could mean for those two?  
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 4,948 Captain
    The same thing will happen to all our lakes eventually.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • ChetChet Posts: 292 Deckhand
    edited August 14 #9
    Duck hunters need to be more proactive instead of reactive.  Need to push the Fla Legislator to pass a bill allowing duck hunters to hunt lakes with things like, no closer than 100 yards from a shoreline structure.  Duck hunting allowed on any lake larger than 50 acers in size.  
    If rules favoring duck hunters are in place before the construction they will be harder for builders to change.  If nothing is in place when the building goes on they can call the shots.  And its to bad but the "traditionally hunted" argument isn't carrying the weight it use to.
  • N. CookN. Cook Posts: 2,011 Captain
    We have a good law in place....the State Law for gun possession and discharge prevails over any local attempts to restrict either...That law opened up a lot of hunting areas on State Waters....Tampa Bay and other places where one restriction or another were being enforced...We also have a "hunter harassment" law......But, these individual locations can apply to the FWC for "safety zones" or "bird sanctuaries"...and some will sue and go to court as we have seen here....Currently there is NO set distance for hunting (firing a firearm) from anything....(once 300 feet was the norm)….You do have to be careful the bullet (shot)  does not cross over other private property.....That is a criminal Trespass...If we were to try to get the FWC to support a Legislative Bill for a "distance"....the Legislature, not very pro hunting, would probably make it more restrictive than today.....As there is NO restrictions on State Waters at this time, even if they abut urban areas....I believe we will simply have to address each one as they arise unless the issue snowballs...