Saturday @ the Pass

Launched @ 6;15, water temp @ 86F and clear.

Out the beach to throw topwaters. Magnum Pop-R yielded many jacks, hand sized to 5 pounds. One ladyfish for chunking. Threw the Pop-R and a jack hits it. Line screams and this is no jack crevalle! Finally turn him/her...no jump but a monster swirl. Fish goes the other way and the line goes limp......Really? Start to reel in the lure and feel "weight" but no fight. Fish comes over the rail and the 16" jack was actually 8" after being bit in half! Naughty words as I thought I might have had the "hog in the trough". Unhooked my 1/2 jack and continued. From the trolling motor in the water and 2-1/2 hours later, time to move.

Went to the Morgan River and ZERO. No trout/reds/Snook. To the outside and tossed the chunked ladyfish out. While soaking the bait, threw my tackle bag at the fish. Nothing. And nothing on the ladyfish. Wow.

On to a decent trout hole (mangrove island bordered on a 9-foot deep channel)....3 ding mangos.

Off to a cut south of Dickmans Point. Threw everything. Still nada.

OK, the day was Dyson, Hoover, Electrolux if you get my drift.

One point of excitement and then nothing for 3 hours. Oh well, it was nice being out in the 10K.

Next weekend St Pete for Mom chores, following weekend Vegas! And if nothing else, Sept 1st for maybe a couple of snook fillets. Don't hate me for keeping snook. I get enough "keepers" during closed season and always release. I get maybe 1 keeper during open season every 2-3 years so I do feel "entitled" for one.

Lastly, did talk to a guy at the ramp while loading. He mentioned he and his people managed many redfish 10-14". It's good to know next year might be good for the spot-tails.

Until next time....Be safe and hope to see you Buoys and Gulls on the water!

Lastly,

Polar 1900 Yamaha 115

Replies

• Mr, GooganMr, Googan Posts: 36 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the report!  I certainly know the feeling of fighting a "monster" only to end up reeling in half a fish, !*^&#$%
  • snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,006 Officer
    Hey, you started out good. This time of year you usually get them early or you don't get them. Have great trip(s). Thanks for reporting again.
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 766 Officer
    Sounds about what sunday was like..... Caught the very tail end of the incoming and caught a few on artis.
    During slack tide went and blacked out the baitwell with white bait. I couldnt buy a fish. Eventually stumbled onto a big school of Big Jacks crashing bait and got a few of them in. That out going tide the fish must have been either buried deep in the mangroves or sitting down in the 10-15' depth.
    Atleast we got out and fished....Be out Friday and sunday for both incoming tides!!
    Jason :USA
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 5,719 Admiral
    Far Backcountry with the Hunt Camp Friends..
    Killin and Grillin :grin
    Jewfish and Mangroves.
    Got 5 Jewfisn to 28 pounds and a couple limits of Snapper on Jigs
  • Mr, GooganMr, Googan Posts: 36 Greenhorn
    What did your hunt camp friends think of the jewfish?  A 28 lb jewfish deep in the mangroves is combat fishing, you gotta stop 'em or pop 'em.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,980 Captain
    Many an angler has hooked that "snook of a lifetime"  --- that wasn't a snook at all...

Jewfish are one of my favorites, tough as an old leather boot, willing to hit anything that comes their way - and just never give up.... My only complaint about them is that more than one of my favorite snook spots (places with downed trees, etc, a good current and tapering off into deeper waters....) no long holds snook since the "baby" jewtish (goliath groupers for all you politically correct types....) simply pushed them away... In my areas along the coast of the Everglades from Flamingo to Chokoloskee and beyond.. a baby jewfish is anyone under fifty pounds.... You might have been snook fishing but that's not what cleaned your clock.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    50 pound line and a 7/0 Circle.
    They love it. They have some big ones off the coast up in Taylor County but not ..like you say , Combat fishing in Deadfalls with the rod jammed in your gut.
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,201 Officer
    And they were so rare many years ago that someone won the MET spinning division for jewfish in the spinning division with a ten pound fish caught on a Mirrolure in the Flamingo Marina from land.
    Giimoozaabi
    Not THAT rare... Kenny Bittner many years ago out of Flamingo set world records with big ones (well over 300 lbs, if memory serves...) on very light line.. His secret (that most of us in the old Tropical Anglers fishing club heard about....) was that every tripod marker in Florida Bay back then had a resident big jewfish (long before the name got changed to goliath grouper).  He'd catch one, then tow it back to Flamingo where the weighmaster would certify it for entry then release it to swim away and back to it's home marker.... in all of about eight feet of water....

When they got scarce it was mostly because commercial divers figured out how easy they were to kill with a power head (jewfish are fearless and will stand their ground - particularly the really big ones...).  They were just slaughtered for all of fifty cents a pound - a hundred pound fish was worth fifty dollars... That sort of stuff needed to be stopped and it was finally.  Today we're on the other side of the deal - up to our fannies in them, but getting an opening with strict controls seems to be impossible to obtain...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • ccriderccrider Posts: 549 Officer
    They are a frickin' pain in the **** if you ask me, they need to allow a controlled, strict harvest. Problem is once they open them up at all for taking too many will poach ridiculous amounts. Both areas I regularly fish , Sanibel to Charlotte Harbor and the Lower Keys (BPK) they are so abundant and take some many nice table fish it really pisses you off after awhile.  
    The key to opening up jewfish again - will be simply not to allow them to be bought and sold since that's what almost wiped them out all those years ago... From my perspective there will always be some poaching (and to this day some small place serving "white fish chowder" might be using something other than snapper and grouper..). but the overall amount of poaching isn't going to hurt much.   Allow them to be bought and sold then you have a real incentive for heavy poaching since once the fish is in the fish house -you'd never know where it came from.... 

Don't think we'll see an opening any time soon since the FWC declined -just this year to open them up (and of course -they're still protected federally and I can't remember any time a protected fish specie was ever re-opened by the feds (if anyone knows diffferent please post it up I'd be glad to read it....).
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,201 Officer

Kenny Bitner used weighted down cherry bombs and push poles to scare the giant jewfish from the Fla Bay tripod markers after they were hooked. I was in a promenent club back then and heard this first hand. He didn't to this with spinning gear but with fly gear for a "world record’”

Giimoozaabi
    Actually there was one other trick that was an open secret back then... If you had a tripod that held big fish  you simply brought a few pieces of 2x4 and made a sort of ladder on the marker itself that allowed you to stand on it while fishing while your boat stood nearby ready to come get you once the fish finally ran away from the marker after you were hooked up...
    Don’t think authorities would approve...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • kci-miakci-mia Posts: 195 Deckhand
    I have to admit that back in the 70's my friends and I used to catch Jewfish for spending money.  We would drive from bridge to bridge and fish from bridge bumpers using anchor lines and steel cables with big hook baited with jack.  We'd pull them up using raw strength.  It wasn't unusual to get couple in one night and end up with 300-400 lb. of fish.  We'd sell them to restaurants and fish shops for between $0.25 to $.75.  Back then we didn't think we were having any real impact on their population as we did it for years and didn't notice any fewer or smaller fish.