Who will be fishing for snapper this weekend

wondering how many will try to catch red snapper this weekend?  We are going to run out Saturday and catch a few then relax at disappearing island.  Possibley make a quick trip Sunday.   We will be in the riggedup cattamaran.   

Replies

• MarlinmanMarlinman Posts: 63 Greenhorn
    The wife an I plan to head out Fri and Sat to give it a shot. Not looking forward to dealing with the boat ramp craziness on Sat...hoping Fri will be better.
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 1,121 Officer
    edited August 8 #3
    I want to head out both weekends - trying to figure the logistics out - which port, which ramp, what day & time...
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 9,217 Admiral
    I will be nowhere near the ramps on the east coast this Saturday it's going to be a full on thunderdome 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 19,162 AG
      Running 15 miles off...for one snapper...  is cost prohibitive 
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • HUNTINTHEWILDHUNTINTHEWILD Posts: 166 Deckhand
    The wife and I are gonna hit it Sat afternoon
  • TyoneonTyoneon Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    Heading out of Ponce on Fri with Customers, Sat with Friends and Sun with family.
  • MarlinmanMarlinman Posts: 63 Greenhorn
    Agree with ya Joe on the cost of one ARS each, that's why we're making a regular bottom fishing trip out of it. To be honest, an ARS will only be a bonus as I'd be perfectly fine with a limit of mangos.
  • Celtic KnotsCeltic Knots Posts: 53 Greenhorn
    Funny some of you act like red snapper are the only fish in the ocean. I'm with Marlinman on this one......There have been a lot of cobes out there latley JS
    I have heard that the red snapper are hiding...
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 1,121 Officer
    edited August 9 #11
    I'm wondering if anyone is gonna catch a new state record cause the take has been limited down for so long.  So - will someone get one over 50 pounds?
  • EarthmoverEarthmover Posts: 276 Deckhand
    There are a Lot of different fish living on the same bottom as the red snapper.  I'm sure we will catch trigger fish, mangrove, grunts, cobia, grouper and yes we will catch red snapper.  There are still a few dolphin being caught.  We will probably try trolling when we get tired of bottom fishing.
  • bay20bay20 Posts: 1,490 Officer
    duckmanJR said:
      Running 15 miles off...for one snapper...  is cost prohibitive 
    I think most people might try to catch more than snapper to make it cost prohibitive. I know the boat i will be on will
  • LivinTheDreamPCLivinTheDreamPC Posts: 217 Deckhand
    agree with other comments.  we are having a normal fishing day.  we are bottom fishing with a drift bait off the transom.  triggers and seabass and lanes and maybe if we go deep enough some vermillions.  oh yeah.  and some red snappes.  ARS .   if we capture kings or cobes while drifting.  Great.  if we capture ARS while we are smacking triggers and lanes the great.  just another day.

except for the THUNDERDOME  at the ramp the other guy said.  it will be true.  we are leaving at 5 a.m. just to give us a chance to make it out of there.
  • Look Out BelowLook Out Below MiccoPosts: 3,814 Moderator
    I'll be out its a free so called day and a slab of Red Snapper on the grill sounds nice. 
    smilie_dance.gif
  • Riptide31Riptide31 Posts: 469 Deckhand
    I’ll go if the 21 and 27 f aren’t cold w thermocline
    It looked like the Gold rush of bigger boats heading down the ICW towards the inlet...with multiple 49'ers hoping to strike it rich on each boat..... 
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • Topwater GuyTopwater Guy Posts: 435 Deckhand
    I came off the bunks at 0530 just in front of the rush at Yacht Club. Pulled out to go park and there was 6 rigs in line to launch. For Sebastian, that is a major traffic jam.Hit the IWC and went to the right.

Lead, Follow..... Just, Get Out of the Way
    I wonder if anybody caught anything besides a right or a left...
    I had a friend go out today and he said nothing but sharks at the shallow #s.  He got to the ramp at 645 and had to park on us1   We will be going out in the morning.    We just got to the camp ground.  On the way over we passed dozens of 26'+ boats.
    The Klondike ...LOL 
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • buggin outbuggin out Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    edited August 11 #22
    We went out of Canaveral yesterday and got to the ramp at 07:45. The parking lot was full, I’ve never seen so many trucks and boat trailers. Everyone must have gotten there very early because there were only a few boat launching when we put in.  We saw a lot of boats clustered on the usually bottom spots and channel 68 was constant fish talk.  Sound like most boats had a good day.  We decided to run out and see if there were any late season mahi .  Seas were good with a west wind out to about 200 ft, got a little choppy past that. A lot of broken up weeds.  Had some peanuts hitting our baits but nothing to put in the box.  A decent size sailfish jumped across the spread and hit the outrigger but didn’t hookup.  Good day on the water with my buds despite having no fish to clean. 
    Ramp was full at 530.  We had to park on us1.   We limited but it was a fight.   Caught fish in 70 and 100'