Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

Am I wasting my time?

I have posted a few videos in the paddle craft forum of recent kayak trips to the 10K islands, launching out of the ranger station at Everglades City. I have done Sandfly channel out to Jewel key a couple times, and also an unnamed channel between Sandfly and Chocoloskee that ends up near Demijohn Key. 

I just noticed this forum specific to the 10K islands, so figured I'd pick your brains. Is redfish on artificial realistic in the summer there? I have been fishing Pine Island Sound for a while now and do pretty well on redfish with artificial there regardless of the season. This year I have been pushed south by the red tide, but I am really enjoying paddling the islands. So far I have found a nice school of overslot reds on a flat with oysters near the outside on an incoming tide, but could not get them to eat. Should I just focus on Snook if I want to throw artificial in the Summer there? The other problem I am having there is they seem to be on the outside there in the summer, but in a kayak I can't make it out that far until well after 8 AM, so no chance at the early AM bite. Would I be wasting my time if I fished the oyster bars on the inside where the islands meet chocoloskee bay? You could have heard a pin drop when I paddled past the inside last trip out at about 6:20 AM, super quiet, no activity, so I didn't spend much time there.
My YouTube channel: JakeW KayakFishing

Replies

• Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 9,456 Admiral
    Having lived there 7 years and fished it for 30..
    Most of the fish are on the Outside right now. Snook Spawn is now and the reds move out for the Salt water.
    I can and do still catch Snook and Reds inside the middle Islands now but the Snook are mostly small.
    Tarpon however are pretty good right now in the River mouth fresh water flows.
    1 to 40 pounders.
    Them Oyster bars you mentioned are always a pretty good spot and good Trout in the areas that have good tidal inflow into Chok. bay. 
    Here's one from them Bars on a low fall tide.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • JW_YakAnglerJW_YakAngler NaplesPosts: 293 Deckhand
    Thanks, for the info. Have you had success getting reds to eat plastic in the summer? From what I have seen it looks like a crab on a jighead is the go to bait for reds there.
    Yes I have but I prefer a fresh dead Finger Mullet with a little belly slice for scent downstream.
  • pond725pond725 Posts: 42 Deckhand
    i have been catching reds on 1/4 ounce jig head and gulp, small though. as for the snook, Saturday inside was a nice day inside for snook. caught a 33", 27", 18" and lost one that had to be atleast 48" at the kayak.
    Went out Monday and left the plastic in the box. Got a small black drum, small red and a bunch of snapper on shrimp, then netted a big mullet and cut it up for bait. Hooked what felt like a big black drum or red and got taken into the mangroves and broke off(twice). Then sharks showed up and cut me off repeatedly right at the hook. Used up a whole pack of circle hooks. Got some on video. Most of the shark hookups happened too fast to record. Will post video in the general forum.
    That big black Drum or Red was maybe a baby Jewfish...just sayin..
  • BobberBobber Posts: 943 Officer
    I've heard they are right tasty if you are set up for shore lunch.
    Just don,t take them out of the water...B) 
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 1,627 Captain
    Went out Monday and left the plastic in the box. Got a small black drum, small red and a bunch of snapper on shrimp, then netted a big mullet and cut it up for bait. Hooked what felt like a big black drum or red and got taken into the mangroves and broke off(twice). Then sharks showed up and cut me off repeatedly right at the hook. Used up a whole pack of circle hooks. Got some on video. Most of the shark hookups happened too fast to record. Will post video in the general forum.

If you can cast net up some pilchards or finger mullet you will be way more productive over the shrimp IMO
    Jason :USA
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,420 Captain
    ---pretty good rule of thumb.... shrimp when it's cold, baitfish when it's hot...  The only time that doesn't apply is at night when any shrimp around will try to move and get shredded by anything they come into contact with... At least that's been my experience -even though my night bookings are over on the other coast between Miami and Miami Beach...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    edited August 2018 #12
    Thanks for the input guys. It is definitely a difficult place to fish in a kayak during summer due to the distance to get to the outside. By the time I get out there, the sun is high and I have missed the morning bite. I might try upgrading my lights and leaving at 4 am, or just night fishing there.
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 1,627 Captain
    JFYI if you were to launch out of goodland you would have quicker access to outside keys.
    Also TRT launches right before the goodland bridge but he has a motor on his aluminum boat.

Jason :USA
    edited August 2018 #14
    1outlaw said:
    JFYI if you were to launch out of goodland you would have quicker access to outside keys.
    Also TRT launches right before the goodland bridge but he has a motor on his aluminum boat.

Thanks, I forgot about that spot. I have launched there to fish Hell's Gate, but have never used that launch to access to the south. It might be worth launching from the Goodland ramp if they allow it to save a mile. Every mile counts when you are a paddler. I have also been thinking of launching from Chokoloskee instead of Everglades city.
    Chok to Outside is a long haul
    Goodland to Outside is pretty good.
    My Personal Ramp will get you ran over and your tires slashed.
    Why do you think they call him 1Outlaw...

edited August 2018 #16
    Did Chok(smallwood store) to the outside(demijohn and surrounding keys). Got to the outside by sunrise. Started with gulp and got some small reds and assorted trash. Put out some cut ladyfish and got a couple small jewfish, another little red and more trash. Switched to a 5" paddletail in pearl and threw at mangroves where I saw blowups, got a 22" snook. My buddy stayed with the gulp all day and got 4 small reds, 3 nice trout at 17-18, and a 22" mackerel. He had a cutbait out for a while in the rodholder and got a small grouper too. 
    Starting to get the area down, but the bigger snook and reds still elude me. Very different than PIS, but really digging it. I will split time here even when/if PIS comes back from the red tide.