chicken fried steak theory

2»

Replies

• dave44dave44 Posts: 7,198 Admiral
    cadman said:
    It was invented in Lamesa Texas. Tell them it wasn't and you better be leaving town, 
    I hadn’t heard that before. I’ve been through there hundreds of times but never stopped for lunch. Now I’m sad.
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 1,892 Moderator
    dave44 said:
    cadman said:
    It was invented in Lamesa Texas. Tell them it wasn't and you better be leaving town, 
    I hadn’t heard that before. I’ve been through there hundreds of times but never stopped for lunch. Now I’m sad.
    According to local lore, the Midland-Reporter Telegram, and Larry Beshaw of the Austin American-Statesman, James Donald Perkins was a short-order cook in Lamesa and is the man the town has to thank for this delicious Texas dish. It seems that back in 1911, while he was working at a small restaurant called Ethel’s Home Cooking, Perkins made the very first chicken-fried steak when he misunderstood an order for both chicken and fried steak. Instead of making two separate plates, he thought the customer ordered a steak that was battered and fried up like a chicken.
    "That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)
  • frankfrank Posts: 12,920 AG
    sounds sketchy 

No political signature
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,785 Admiral
    Parkerboy said:
    Chicken Fried Steak is a staple in any diner here in Texas. In Georgia I grew up eating Country Fried Steak which is similar but served with brown gravy not white. Also I don't think country fried steak has as heavy crust 
    Brown gravy????!!  WHY?   

and if anyone else is making this dish this week, go to publix, get some everglades cactus dust seasoning  and sprinkle it on your mashed potatoes and then on the country gravy on your CFS.    Stuff takes it to a whole new level. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 7,198 Admiral
    dave44 said:
    cadman said:
    According to local lore, the Midland-Reporter Telegram, and Larry Beshaw of the Austin American-Statesman, James Donald Perkins was a short-order cook in Lamesa and is the man the town has to thank for this delicious Texas dish. It seems that back in 1911, while he was working at a small restaurant called Ethel’s Home Cooking, Perkins made the very first chicken-fried steak when he misunderstood an order for both chicken and fried steak. Instead of making two separate plates, he thought the customer ordered a steak that was battered and fried up like a chicken.
    Most of my family is from there, I’m going to ask a few of them what they knew and when they knew it.
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 1,892 Moderator
    It'll probably be like the Brunswick stew origins. Different parties claiming credit.
    "That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)
  • Cane PoleCane Pole Stuart, FLAPosts: 9,641 Admiral
    edited August 10 #38
    We're going to serve Weiner Schnitzel tacos at our big Rocktoberfest Block Party. Sounds good in theory at least.

Krowt or no krowt? (mr. auto edit would not let me post it with the correct spelling) LOL
    Live music 7 nights a week: http://www.terrafermata.com/_events
  • frankfrank Posts: 12,920 AG
    Corn or flour tortillas?
    Sauerkraut for sure 
    No political signature
  • Cane PoleCane Pole Stuart, FLAPosts: 9,641 Admiral
    Flour.

Corn b nasty
    Live music 7 nights a week: http://www.terrafermata.com/_events
2»