slob wahoo boca

Alarm clock rings on a special August morning. My hometown friend Capt Spencer Reilly  was stopping through to live bait early mornin with me before he continued on to Islamorada. I look at my palm tree in the front yard and its motionless as I had anticipated given the weather pattern at the time. Spencer was runnin late which irked me bc i knee we had a short window to catch bait before the sun rose up. Finally he arrives and we make the short drive to silver palm to drop the skiff.

We worked the bait for 30 minutes only pulling small runners so we make the decision to go back inside and look for some mullet. I hit one of my honey holes and Spencer makes a good cast and nets up 7 nice mullet. I whip the skiff back toward boca inlet realizing that the  early mornin mystic has faded and the hot summer sun is now beating down the way it does.

We clear boca by 8am and lines in by 8:15. We begin out slow bump troll and not but 15 minutes in, the long get bend over, and again. Then nothing I pick up troll and it gets obliterated. In an instant 300 yards come off my avet like nothing and I can start to see my mono backing. The fish finally lets me gain some ground and by this time I had spencer idling me in its direction. I pick up a few yard he dumps 50 for 5 minutes then we reach a stalemate. I’m to the point where im up and down with the fish and gaining. I look down of port and see something disheartening

I look down to port and see a huge grey blob that I know to be the taxman but I’m not convicted I’m actually hooked to him. I work the fish up some more. Half of me is heartbroken because I think it’s a shark but my fishy half tells me there’s more at play than what meets the eye from 60’ below. What I’m fighting is now 30’ down off starboard and I peek over to get a second opinion. I see the shark swimming uninhibited so I look in front of the shark and make out the silhouette of a purple and huge ono! 

The shark was now trailing my fish nosing it as a snook will a mullet, but wouldn’t commit to biting it.
I keep cranking and eventually get the fish boatside as Spencer stood with the gaff hook ready to strike. Almost in gaff range and the shark grabs the hooked fish. Naturally I try to pull it away with the rod and wouldn’t you know it my rig breaks and I’m no longer connected to this wahoo by any means. As fast as I’ve seen someone move, spencer gaffs at the shark trying to pry the wahoo out of his mouth. Immediately the sharks demeanor changed from eat mode to survival mode. A big tail thrash  and  As quick as he came he was gone. Wahoo in tow (so we thought). In all the madness spencer lost his hold on the gaff and dropped it into the ocean.

We had just lost the biggest wahoo we had both ever seen. We looked at eachother amazed at what just took place . I pan back to the ocean and saw something ill never forget. Ol Scissor lips come bobbing up followed by the rest him right next to the skiff. Mind you this is probably 4 seconds after the shark sped off so I’m half expecting another visit. I really didn’t care. instincts kicked in and I grab the big beast by his tail and with the help of my good friend Spencer, heaved the behemoth aboard. Back at the ramp by 9.

The wahoo was served grilled, ceviche, rolled sushi, sashimi and seared. It fed my friends and I for a week!

Replies

• conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 3,843 Captain
    Better play the lotto as that was awesome luck. 
    Great catch and an even better story.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• Flight RiskFlight Risk Posts: 2,443 Captain
    Great story and catch!  Taxman got the short end of the deal on this one.

Pura Vida!
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 8,992 Admiral
    That's awesome!    Thanks for sharing!
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • PioneerPioneer Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    Great story.  Congrats on the amazing catch.
  • Captain DaveCaptain Dave Posts: 3,386 Captain
    Beautiful hoo. Congrats!

72262-albums10528-picture94957.jpg

Your Southeast Florida Real Estate Resource !
    www.HomesOfTreasureCoast.com

Search for homes on any mobile device with my FREE MLS SEARCH App !
    http://app.kw.com/KW2GYNJDM
  • GarysmoGarysmo Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 504 Officer
    Awesome fish.....congrats
  • IntheslotIntheslot Posts: 304 Deckhand
    Great fish, even greater story.

That's one you'll be tellin' for years.
  • FrydaddyFrydaddy Boynton BeachPosts: 409 Deckhand
    Awesome story and even better fish!!!! Thanks for taking them time to share 
  • walleyworldwalleyworld Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    Nice Wahoo gents!  Fantastic story and what a lucky break!
  • century7century7 Posts: 2,409 Captain
    great fish and an even more amazing story.  It was very nice of the  shark to just go for the tail and leave most of the meat untouched!
    It works 60% of the time all the time......
  • surfercrosssurfercross Posts: 43 Greenhorn
    Sweet fish star!
  • CoastalCatchCoastalCatch Lighthouse PointPosts: 346 Deckhand
    Only once in a lifetime catch...luck or God?...please give credit where credit is due! :)

'The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.' ~ George Orwell

• timmcollinstimmcollins Posts: 821 Officer
    edited August 9 #14
    Congratulations on the Wahoo of a life time. You might catch bigger, but you will talk  about this one for the rest of your lives. B)

How deep where you? Pics are really close to shore.
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, martini in one hand, Cheeseburger in the other, body well used and worn out and screaming WOO-HOO What a Ride!"
  • LiveSouthFLLiveSouthFL Posts: 136 Deckhand
    Awesome story & fish!!! Congrats!
    Ed Moore
    Broker-Owner
    Live South Florida Realty, Inc.
    LiveSouthFL.com

*FREE MLS app for your mobile device: Text EDMOORE to 87778 or visit: http://87778.mobi/EDMOORE/
  • 4Rs4Rs Posts: 212 Deckhand
    Nice fish.  Thanks for the report.
  • Boca KrisBoca Kris Posts: 129 Deckhand
    Epic story!!!!!!!! Bad ****!
  • hhfishermanhhfisherman Posts: 90 Greenhorn
    great catch! It goes to show you don't need a big boat to catch a nice fish. Congrat.
  • KaimanaKaimana Posts: 242 Deckhand
    Great story!
  • fishfullthinkingfishfullthinking Posts: 62 Greenhorn
    Awesome catch!
  • footanklegfootankleg Posts: 513 Officer
    Congrats.  Slob wahoo and awesome story.  Send the write up to FS mag
    Cobia 296 F300s J & B
    Hewes 18' RF Y130 Flatfoot
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Epic!
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,613 Captain
    That's a nice Fat Wahoo !  Great Story, Congratulations !
  • P91473P91473 Posts: 52 Greenhorn
    J16 waxing the Slobs... 

Sweet...
  • ShoelessShoeless Posts: 2,108 Captain
    Now that’s a great catch with a great story to go with it.  Congrats!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Strangegill88Strangegill88 Posts: 213 Deckhand
    Congrats...... that's a better story than when I got my slob Hoo a few years w/ two rookies on the boat. 
  • Angler_2600Angler_2600 Posts: 1,098 Officer
    Freaking awesome!
  • JEN'S REVENGEJEN'S REVENGE Posts: 620 Officer
    Haha, slaying em on the "Meat Wagon". Nice work Cody
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]