Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Anna Maria Island fishing report.

2»

Replies

• TrevfishinTrevfishin In my mind I'm in my kayak fishing, unfortunately physically I'm at work :(Posts: 695 Officer
    Sabiki, get the largest you can, cut in half and use 3 of the 6 hooks. Tie a small weight based on current, tip the hooks with shrimp and cast where you think they will be, ie, around structure, dips, holes, oyster beds, rocks. They do well in the floating bait buckets. 
  • lukkyracerlukkyracer Posts: 743 Officer
    Those are a couple of nice fish by the way.
  • TrevfishinTrevfishin In my mind I'm in my kayak fishing, unfortunately physically I'm at work :(Posts: 695 Officer
    Black drum are best on the grill with a little Old Bay sprinkled on top
  • BigVernBigVern Posts: 217 Deckhand
    Hi folks, sorry not been on the keypad for a while!

Boat trip with everyone DAve White, short trip lots of action, super guide! Snook, hound fish and material on fly and bait and more hook ups and lost fish than I want to talk about!

Not managed a tarpon yet but they are keeping me interested by rolling and taking the mickey! Added a new species on the fly from the beach yesterday a whiting. Redtide is about and the snook were not interested! Plenty by the pier but not many on the beach yesterday. Out today, so will give you a pitch report when I’m done!

Tight lines all

Vern
    Thanks for the tips folks, will use them this afternoon!

Vern.
    Mixed bag yesterday off the beach. Small jack, 4 or 5 snook oh and a seagull! Hooked on the back cast and screamed the place down until I untangled it, much to the annoyance of the 200 gulls attracted to the commotion and a little frightening(if you have seen a certain Hitchcock movie!)

Lesson for the day - if it ain’t broke then don’t try and fix it! Fished a new fly pattern and a shrimp fly for about an hour or so and not a touch. Change to a fly I caught on last year an 10 casts, 8 takes and 2 fish landed, lesson learnt!

Redtide was about yesterday but lots of fish about. Just a shame it took so long to work it out! 

Bot trip tomorrow. Stoked! Will let you know how I get on.

Tight lines all.

Vern
    Hi folks, sorry for the lack of reports over the last few days! 

Bad and news from my point of view, I have left your beautiful shores, but am booked for next year!!

So last few trips, managed a few more snook off the beach, and pulled the hook out of a huge one. Got red-tided off a couple of days, sad to see some huge snook dead in the surf. Had a shot at a tarpon off the dock but could not get a small bait, so a hand sized pinfish did not provoke a hook-up.

Went out with David White again, for a fly trip. 10 minutes into the trip and I hook my first fish of the trip, 10lbs of silver! Tarpon on and landed - magic!! Headed out and caught snook, had a shot at some redfish, but they did not play ball. Caught some gags on bait, got bitten off and smashed a few times, but had a fantastic trip.

So back home now, I wonder how I did. New species on fly, tarpon,jacks,whiting, Spanish macks and mangrove snapper. Biggest snook on fly so far! I would say a right result!! 

I would like like to thank you all for your helpful hints and tips - I’ll be back!

Tight lines all!

Vern 
  • LostconchLostconch Posts: 667 Officer
    Well done. Do you ever fish in Scotland?
    Hi lostconch, indeed I do, hope to be heading upto the Borders for a spot of salmon fishing in October. I try and fish up there with my wife a few times a year. You fish up there?
  • LostconchLostconch Posts: 667 Officer
    edited August 2018 #42
    Only once. Traveled to Scotland with a group and I was the only one interested. Fished on Skye
     Small stuff mostly